It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2008, 06:25 AM   #1
(male)

billfisher01 HB User
Bowel Resection Friday the 25th.Any advice?

Hello everyone, I am new here...Anyway, In October of 2006 I had my first attack of Diverticulitis...I was in the hospital for 4 days on "IV" And then came home..I was fine for a year, never had another problem! Then in October of 2007 I had another milder attack, I was alowed to stay home and take the pill form of cipro and flaygel...That cleared up faster....Then on December 15th 2007 I had my 3rd attack and again was in the hospital for 4 days..

The Doctor told me it was now time to correct this..So after a cool down period ....it was decided that this coming friday the 25th is my surgery day..I have never ever had bowel problems of any sort before my first attack in 2006 and now all of a sudden I am facing Surgery! I am 42 years old.

I have lost alot of weight simply because I am scared to eat

Needless to say ......Yes, I am scared, very scared of having surgery....I hope someone can tell me what to expect etc..The doctor told me that he will try to do this Laproscopic but may have to switch to open...He did tell me because I asked from reading it here that I will not have the dreaded "NG" Tube but I will have a cathader...

Anyway, My biggest fear is not so much the surgery but more that I will wake up! How long before you can walk around again? How about driving? Does it hurt the first time you have BM? How long does this surgery take?

As it gets closer I have doubts about doing it but I guess thats normal, The worst part now is I feel 100%, Its hard to walk into a hospital when you feel good! I do realize however this will most likely happen again if I do not do this...Thanks for your support..

I promise to post my experiance after the surgery becaues I know that helps people....But right now I need your help and support!

Please tell me I will be ready to Fish in the Spring!

Last edited by billfisher01; 01-20-2008 at 06:30 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2008, 09:45 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User
Re: Bowel Resection Friday the 25th.Any advice?

Bill.....

Boy, does your post sound familiar! Exactly the way I felt facing my re-section. I've had multiple surgeries (two hip replacements, abdominal surgery in the 70's), but had the same fears as you. I, too, went into surgery feeling better than I had in ages and thought "what am I doing...I feel great."
However, you are a ticking time bomb and it is wise to have the surgery electively rather than as an emergency.

My surgeon also told me he'd start the procedure laparascopically and switch to open if need be. Ended up with the laparascope, had an ng tube for the first day, catheter for a couple of days (only because they had to place ureter stents). You will basically sleep thru the first day....affects of the anesthesia. And you will wake up!!! Honest you will!!! Lots of nice drugs to help with post-op pain and, the sooner you can get up and move, the better. Walk and walk some more.

As for a bm, don't expect much. After surgery, you will do liquids, then progress to soft diet. I had surgery on a Monday and didn't pass gas or have a small bm until Friday. Doesn't hurt to have a bm....unless, of course, you force. Discharged Saturday. Told to stick with the soft diet for 4 more days, then start introducing regular diet. Couldn't wait to have some pizza!

I was driving at 2 weeks (altho I cheated and made a few trips a mile or so to a convenience store) and back to work part time at 2 weeks.

You'll be just fine. At 42, with 3 diverticulitis events, having the surgery is a no brainer!!!

Good luck and happy fishing,
Linda

Old 01-20-2008, 10:29 AM   #3
(male)

billfisher01 HB User

Thanks so much for the reply! My doctor told me something about the stents, he said there would be a urologist in there with him and they would insert them so they can see better?? Anyway at that point I told him I didnt want to hear anymore! Lol...I figure the les I know the better...But Now that you have talked about it, can you elaborate or anyone else just exactly what these Ureter Stents are?? I am now afraid I wont ever urinate right again or I will be incontinent somehow?? Crazy maybe, but hey it is scarry...I really apreciate you all helping! Well, thats it for now...GO PATRIOTS!

Thanks again for the help...Bill !

Old 01-20-2008, 10:59 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

Hey Bill.....

The stents are placed as a visual aid....specifically for the laparoscopic procedure. No worries. You just may have the catheter in a day or so longer than usual....until the urine flows clear. The stents irritate the ureters and the urine is blood tinged for a while.

No problems urinating after the catheter is removed......no incontinence!

I live in Steeler country, so.....enuf said! New England is tough...reminds me of our team back in the day!!

Good luck and come back and let us know how it all worked out for you,
Linda

Old 01-21-2008, 06:04 AM   #5
(male)

billfisher01 HB User

Ok, Well Thanks again...After yesterday now my goal is to be in my own home for the Superboal!

Your right about the elective surgery, My doctor told me that if I did not go this route, the next attack may perfarate...and I would be looking at a bag for 3-6 months, let me tell you, that was all he had to say..I do not want that...he did not have to tell me twice!

As I said before, I will be sure and post every detail of what happens once I make it to the other side of this, I know how helpful it is to others that are anticipating the same operation...Ok Talk to everyone soon!

Last edited by billfisher01; 01-21-2008 at 06:14 AM.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:13 AM   #6
(female)

jenlynn HB User
Wink Re: Bowel Resection Friday the 25th.Any advice?

Bill-

I am also very young @ 39 to have had all these Diverticulitus attacks. I was diagnosed in 2004 as having IBS which I do have but the Diverticulitus went undetected (even though I had the ab pain in the lower left-hand quadrant) until 2007. I've had 3 serious attacks-Feb 2007, Oct 2007 and Dec 2007 (3 days before my elective surgery-go figure) which all required hospitalization and antibiotics. From CT Scan to CT Scan, my Dr. said there was little change. I had good days and bad days, but things never really cleared up. My last CT before my surgery the infection basically BLEW UP! Air all in my abdominals. My surgery went on as planned. I was lucky my Dr. could still do it Lapryscopically-18 inches of Sigmoid Colon which fused to my ab wall was removed just above the rectum.

It's been just about 2-1/2 weeks after my surgery and I'm feeling better. I'm still very tired and periodically have to take the pain meds. Body movements will be slow (I hate that my mother is a speed demon compared to me) so take it EASY!!! Be sure that the day of your surgery you get up and move! You NEED to get things moving around. Gas will build up and be very uncomfortable if you don't. I'm not going back to work until 2/15ish.

You will have no problem with the catheter, we all have to have them. Because they are pumping so many fluids into you, they want to be sure they are coming out. After removing my catheter the next day, I had a bit of trouble restarting my Bladder. They did a few Bladder Scans because I wasn't going. Then they decided to put the catheter back to try and jumpstart things and it did. I'm have not one single problem now with urinating. Although, BMs are hard for me because I've had a problem w/IBS since before my 2 year old was born. Unfortunately, once your surgery is over, your colon will return to how it once functioned. I'm taking Colace 2x daily as well as 1 TBSP of Citrucel 2x a day. Still having a bit of trouble I can't seem to go sometimes even though I know I have to. I guess the normal colon in circumference is about the size of a golfball and a half. Right now, mine is about a third to half that size because of the swelling. That could be one of the problems. I just hope I can get everything working normally.

Eating-wise, I still don't know what I should really be eating for somewhat of a healthy diet. I had some oatmeal and a little juice this A.M. but my appetite still remains UGH. Although, I have had a few chocolate pretzels and they did taste good to me. My Dr. said no raw veggies/fruit, heavy high grain foods, chicken-turkey ok but chew REALLY well.

Dr. just took staples out this past Thursday. That was a relief. I have a follow up in 3 weeks. I just can't wait to feel like myself again. It's been quite awhile since I've felt even remotely good. I've had other medical situations over the past 3-4 years but this has to be the absolute WORST (physically, mentally and emotionally). People just don't understand how we feel (all the time).

BE WELL!
Jen

Old 01-22-2008, 07:36 AM   #7
(male)

billfisher01 HB User

Thanks Jenn, I hope you feel back to normal soon! I still cant beleve I am having this done friday! It just seems like a whirlwind, you know, fine all my life and now this?? I know it could be worse and that there are for worse off people than I , But still its never easy getting cut open..I am trying to be positive! I just got a nice haircut so thats one less worry in the hospital!

I will be sure and walk as soon as I can, I dont want to be down any longer than I have to be! I think my surgeon will be relieved also, I really have drove the poor guy crazy with all my questions! Well none of us are alone and this forum is great for that, Like I said I will post as soon as I can after the surgery to let everyone know how it went.Right now I am A bundle of nerves, cant sleep, and have the constant urge to keep busy with anything I can

Thanks again for the replies! Bill

Last edited by billfisher01; 01-22-2008 at 07:38 AM.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:49 AM   #8
(female)

jenlynn HB User

Bill-

Good for the HAIRCUT!!!

Don't worry about driving the Docs crazy, it's their job. My husband's a physician and before each of my follow-up appointments he always has me write my questions down so I will be sure to ask what I need to.

Things will go spendidly! Be sure to take it EASY when all is said and done. But walk, walk, walk! Carry a pillow or blanket to hold over your stomach-it feels sooooo much better. When I sit on the floor with my two year old, I have a pillow or blanket handy for when he tries to give me the TODDLER TACKLE.

Be sure to take help from family and friends when you need it. Don't be afraid to ask. Little suggestion though, everyone will want to visit you in the hospital and at home. Keep it simple-immediate family. No other vistors until later in the week. I just actually started having a few friends over for delivery and a movie this past weekend-actually could enjoy myself a bit.

My thoughts are with you. Keep your chin up. It's nice that we're not the only ones experiencing this. Keep in touch.

Jen

Old 01-22-2008, 08:29 AM   #9
(male)

billfisher01 HB User

You know, I have been struggling with the visit issue, I have alot of friends who really do care but, To be honest I really want to be able to rest in the hospital and not have to stay awake etc...and entertain guests...Its a very tough thing to tell them Thanks but its not nessasary..I also am in a comprimising state that I really dont want people to see me in, its very persnal..I even told my wife and mother not to just sit at the hospital holding vigil while I am in surgery! There is still things to be done , daughter needs to go to school, erands need to be run etc.. I am sure the staff at the hospital will take very good care of me...So, my hope is they will wait till I get home..

My friends are all rough fisherman so its hard to tell them anything...But on this one I really hope they listen..My mother is tough however and I am sure she will make it known that I need to rest...

Old 01-22-2008, 09:34 AM   #10
(female)

jenlynn HB User

Everything will go fine w/the visitation thing. Just let folks know THIS WEEK that w/this type of surgery it would be better to wait until you're comfortably situated @ home. In regards to the "FAMILY," life must continue! My husband came in before and after work. My mother came in during the day for a couple of hours. I really missed my 2 year old son. He didn't understand the whole "why is Mommy not up and coming home with us." He wound up staying with my inlaws until I was discharged. I didn't see him for 6 days. You NEED to see your wife and children daily!!! Now parents and Inlaws-Eh! Not as important. I was SOOOOOO glad when I mom went home-10 days to long!

Be sure before going to the Hospital that you pack lots of magazines, books, IPOD & charger (I have a video one, so I had a bunch of new release movies to watch), picture of your family (I had one of my son's when he was 1 month old), drugstore bought travel essentials, jammie bottoms,...Leave wedding ring, watch, wallet,...@ HOME. Bring your Driver's License and Health Insurance Card and let your wife take it when all done with it.

Be Well! When you get home be sure to touch base!
Jen

Old 01-22-2008, 10:01 AM   #11
(male)

billfisher01 HB User

All great advice, As Much as I want my daughter to come and see me, I just dont want her in the hospital, to much risk to pick up germs and she really doesnt grasp whats going on..Its better for her to just maintain her routine...Its no place for kids...I have my IPOD Ready to go! I plan on listening to pink floyd while on the pain meds should be fun

My bags are packed!

Old 01-24-2008, 08:16 AM   #12
(female)

jenlynn HB User
Talking Re: Bowel Resection Friday the 25th.Any advice?

Bill-

Best of luck on your surgery tomorrow!

Take Care.
Jen

Old 01-24-2008, 08:37 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

I'm rooting for you Bill,
good luck tomorrow on your surgery.
go in with a positive mind because that will help get you thru everything faster and heal better.
I agree too with the quicker you get up and start walking around, even just a few steps every few hours, it will help get your system moving again.
the body is so effected not only by having surgery, but the anesthesia too. the body slows down and it takes awhile for it to get back to normal.
make sure you drink plenty of water during the weeks of healing. I did't listen to that when I had abdominal surgery for a total hysterectomy and I wound up back in the hospital post op a week later with a partial obstruction.
I have never suffered with so much pain, vomitting and nauseua. I thought I was going to die.
I didn't get up and move around while at home and I was taking pain medications which causes constipation to begin with. I also didn't drink the recommended amount of water either and I was eating foods that binded.

can I ask you how it all of a sudden started for you?
you NEVER ever had any type of abdominal problems before you all of a sudden got an attack of diverticulitis?
what happened? what did it feel like and where did the pain start or radiate from?
how long did it take you before you knew you had to go to the emergency room to get checked out?
I waited with my pain all day and should have gone sooner. I did't know it wasn't going to go away.

I wish you the best tomorrow.
hope to hear back from you as soon as you feel up to it.

Lintek

Old 01-24-2008, 09:32 AM   #14
(male)

billfisher01 HB User

Lintek, Thanks for the post!

Today is real fun! Drank my first dose of fleet and man! I am cleaning right out!

Ok I will do my best to explain how this all started...

First, you are correct, I have never ever had bowel problems...Always went fine etc..Acually like clockwork every morning..I love to Surf fish and for most of my adult life All during the summer and fall I walk miles and miles of coastline fishing so, I was in decent shape...

In October of 2006 I woke up one morning and was constipated...I had the feeling I had to "go" but nothing would happen, I eventually did go but it was very little and I felt like I was not relieved, I blew it off and figured it would go away in a couple days..No big deal..Once A wekk had passed my wife and mother both told me it was time to see a doctor about it...I reluctently went figuring he would tel me to go home, drink prune juice and I would be fine..

After feeling my belly he pushed in a little on the left side and I almost jumped off the table in pain! He imediatly told me to go accross the street to the "ER" In the hospital for a cat scan...I did and they told me I had a mild case of Diverticulitis and would be staying a few days on antibiotic IV ....The surgeon came and see me and explained more about this condition and said it is something they do not usually look for in a guy my age (40 at the time)...He explained to me that it was very possible I would never have a problem again! He also said that If I did have a problem again, they dont fool around and usually recomend elective surgery to repair it rather than deal with a rupture and a bad infection in the stomach...

So after that initial hospital stay a colonoscopy was scheduled to take a better look, The diverticuli were confirmed at that time and we went on a wait and see basis...I felt great! exactly one year past with no problems, then in October of 2007 I had the same pain creeping in and I knew what it was, this time I did not wait and went right to the docs office...I begged him not to put me in the hospital again and he relented, sending me home with two antibiotis and a soft diet and home I went, in a few days it cleared up.

Just two months later on friday night in December, I was suddenly struck with pain again only worse than October, immediatly I went to the ER and was admited with yet again another infection...5 days later I was out....The doctor said it was now time to correct this without doubt and wanted to wait 6 weeks for everything to calm down enough to do the surgery and that day is tommorow!

So, It came on sudden but I am sure it was there underlying for a long time and just got infected when it did...Thats my story basically, I hope for a good outcome and to rid myself of this ticking timebomb once and for all..

Like I said I will give full details after its over!

Old 01-25-2008, 08:30 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

Thanks Bill for your explanation of how it all started. the reason I wanted to know if because for the past year I've been suffering cronic constipation. I go almost daily, but with difficulty. I try to stay away from binding foods thinking this will help. I was told to take gentle laxatives but will go thru a small packet in a week. it says not to take longer than that.

I have to make an apptn. with my gastro dr but am waiting for my insurance to start as of feb.1st.

I too get this pain inside my abdomen on the lower left side, the right side where my appendix is when my stomach has pressure put on it. I can't just let my cat come and walk on my abdomen when he wants to lay down on me when i'm in bed. this is how I found out it's very painful to the touch.

I've had two ER visits with abdominal pain in the past. but never had a full follow up exam. I worry something is going on in there.
my dr dx'd me over the phone saying I must have irritable bowel syndrome. I thought you can only have loose bowels with that dx. but I read that constipation is one of the symptoms too.

I fear having what you have and want to make sure I don't wind up with a problem such as diverticulitis. What exactly can bring diverticulitis on?
did your dr tell you this?

I didn't realize that diverticulitis can be so dangerous. You must have a very serious case of it for your dr to want to do such drastic surgery.
I thought that medications and staying away from certain culprits would help it. not surgery.
I''m sorry to ask so many questions and hope I"m not annoying to you.
it's good for me to be able to speak with someone who has an actual diagnosis of it so I can ask you directly rather than just read about it.
one on one is the best info I prefer.

you sound in excellent health being you are so active, so I'm surprised too that this came on suddenly. it's the first time for everything, so you never know, right?

that fleet phoso soda definelty does the job of making one squeaky clean as my dr once put it. do you have to drink two small bottles of it?
most people say it tastes gross, but I didn't find it offensive at all.
you just drink it down fast. and boy does it do the trick. LOL

they don't tell you to eat light foods the two days before you do your cleansing to make it easier on your bottom, so to speak, if you get my drift.
no burning effect later. oh and dont' forget to use some vaseline to apply to the tender area after your done with the cleansing. I had wished someone had told me these little tips before I did my prep.
Mine was for just a colonoscopy, not for what you're going to be going thru.
again, I wish you the best outcome.

Linda

Closed Thread