It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2008, 06:47 AM   #1
(male)

doglover HB User
Hemorrhoid, Rubber Band Ligation. Have A Few Questions.

I had rubber band ligation on Friday, January 11, 2007.

The procedure produced mild pain and some discomfort (pressure). After the two day period, I could feel that something was different (less pressure), and then I just had the mild pain.

As of today (January 21), I still have pain in my rear from the ligation. It especially hurts when I have a bowel movement.

1. How long does the pain normally last? The brochure I received said the pain would be gone in a couple of days, but that some people may have pain for up to 7 days.

2. He did the biggest one first, does it get less painful when he starts doing the smaller ones?

I am going to wait for now about the pain. If it does not get better soon, I will give my doc a call.

Thanks

Old 01-21-2008, 07:04 PM   #2
(female)

troubadour HB User
Re: Hemorrhoid, Rubber Band Ligation. Have A Few Questions.

I am sorry to say I don't have any answers for your questions, but I may be getting this done soon so I have some questions of my own.

Was your hemmorhoid an internal or external one? I am curious if rubber band ligation can be used on external hemmorhoids. Also, did you have anesthesia?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2008, 07:04 AM   #3
(male)

doglover HB User

I have internal only and that is what they put the rubber band on.

He only did one at a time and you have to go back in about a month to get the next one rubber banded.

He used the rubber band on the biggest one I had, so I am hoping that is what the extra pain is from.

I did not have any anesthesia, nor did he prescribe anything for me. I have been taking Tylenol, which is the one the literature recommends.

When they put the band aid on, it feels like someone is pulling on one of them, then after that it is pressure and about what yo u would think a rubber band would feel like. After about 2 days, the feeling changes as I think that is when the roid is destroyed.

Good luck to you.

A shower and/or a bath seems to help with some of the pain.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:40 PM   #4
(male)

HandM HB User

Sounds like you are describing a procedure I posted about weeks ago, with no response, (only an edit by mod) Was it the O'Regan one? If so I also had only one done so far and have seen no major improvement except for no more bleeding, a good thing!
I experienced no post procedure pain at all only a mild feeling of fullness and minor fissure related pain. Upon first BM, no pain or bleeding just a little more recovery time, not bad at all. I plan on going through with all banding necessary to remove all troublesome internals. I would highly reccomend this procedure to anyone. I am not sure how this affects the externals, but the Doc says that once the internals are gone, the externals loose their blood supply and will be less symtomatic. Again no pain only discomfort, way better than what I have read on here about "traditional hem treatments". Good luck on your remaining banding appointments, I am actually looking forward to mine since it means I am that much closer to getting my life back!

Old 01-22-2008, 02:45 PM   #5
(male)

doglover HB User

I went ahead and called the doctor to let them know the pain was more than when the rubber band was on.

They asked if I was drinking plenty of water (I am), and if the pain medicine was working.

I told them I did not get any pain medicine, so they called in some vicodin for me.

I took a pill and I feel better than I have since the band went on.

Hopefully the medicine will allow me to have a complete bowel movement. I believe that since I cannot have a full bowel movement, the pressure makes it hurt.

I hope this works.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:02 PM   #6
(male)

HandM HB User

Pain pills like vicodin are constipating, keep away, drink water, have fiber and dont worry about the BM it will come on it's own.

Again what procedure did you have?
Was it the "O’Regan Disposable Hemorrhoid Banding System", or the traditional type?

The O'Regan uses a syringe type instrument whereas the traditional uses a metal clamp to grasp the roid and apply the band, which is what causes the pain, again this is according to the doctor treating me

Old 01-22-2008, 03:10 PM   #7
(female)

troubadour HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandM View Post
Pain pills like vicodin are constipating, keep away, drink water, have fiber and dont worry about the BM it will come on it's own.

Again what procedure did you have?
Was it the "O’Regan Disposable Hemorrhoid Banding System", or the traditional type?

The O'Regan uses a syringe type instrument whereas the traditional uses a metal clamp to grasp the roid and apply the band, which is what causes the pain, again this is according to the doctor treating me
I agree!! Please becareful! Vicodin is the reason I got external hemmorhoids in the first place. I was prescribed it after a surgery and I was so constipated that it caused the externals that I have now.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:02 PM   #8
(male)

doglover HB User

I am not sure which procedure he performed on me. I did not realize there were any choices to it.

I believe it is the one that they pull the roid, then put the band on it. I could feel pressure and pulling when he put the band on it.

The problem now is having to go to the bathroom. The problem is that it hurts like heck when I do go. It is a fair amount of pain. I usually go just a little bit (do not empty my bowels) and it hurts so bad that I cannot finish.

Then, because I still have to go, it puts pressure on my rear that produces the constant pain.

I am hoping the pills will allow me to go and empty my bowels. I know it will make a big difference.

I used to have symptoms of IBS, so going is not a big deal. My problem was that I had to go and go and never felt like I had finished.

I changed my diet, added fiber and am doing much better now. I knew I had to get it fixed before I could get the roids fixed.

I will make sure I do not get constipated though.

I really appreciate the information. I will ask my doc about the other procedure as well. Is that what you had? Is that why you did not have much or any pain at all?

Old 01-22-2008, 07:46 PM   #9
(male)

HandM HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover View Post
I am not sure which procedure he performed on me. I did not realize there were any choices to it.

Yes there are choices, I looked long and hard for any procedure that would not leave me in agony and unable to work, I am a general contractor and I need to be on site every day.

I believe it is the one that they pull the roid, then put the band on it. I could feel pressure and pulling when he put the band on it.

If the doctor did not tell you what procedure you were having I would find another doctor. I had the CRH O'Regan disposable banding which is done exclusively by CRH (colorectal health center, downtown Seattle, no other place offers this treatment) there are lots of other locations around the states, do some research you will find them. If you had to travel to get this done DO IT! I am totally sold on this procedure

I really appreciate the information. I will ask my doc about the other procedure as well. Is that what you had? Is that why you did not have much or any pain at all?
As I said before, I have had no post procedure pain other than the normal pain associated with external hems/ fissure/ and even that is not too bad, or not any worse than before. The only thing I have noticed so far is no more bleeding, prolly because I told my Doc I wanted that one gone first

Old 01-22-2008, 08:00 PM   #10
(male)

doglover HB User

Quote:
As I said before, I have had no post procedure pain other than the normal pain associated with external hems/ fissure/ and even that is not too bad, or not any worse than before. The only thing I have noticed so far is no more bleeding, prolly because I told my Doc I wanted that one gone first
Thanks again for posting that. I just looked around the net and noticed that it is the latest and greatest and is supposed to be no pain (just as you described).

I will be talking to him about this method instead.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:09 PM   #11
(male)

HandM HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover View Post
Thanks again for posting that. I just looked around the net and noticed that it is the latest and greatest and is supposed to be no pain (just as you described).

I will be talking to him about this method instead.
Good for you!!!, get on it, you won't be sorry. Anyone thinking about the traditional procedures, THINK AGAIN and try the GOLD STANDARD. Keep in mind it is only done by CRH Center

Old 01-22-2008, 08:22 PM   #12
(male)

doglover HB User

Quote:
Good for you!!!, get on it, you won't be sorry. Anyone thinking about the traditional procedures, THINK AGAIN and try the GOLD STANDARD. Keep in mind it is only done by CRH Center
What is a CRH center? I will do a ****** search, but have never heard of it.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:24 PM   #13
(male)

doglover HB User

Ok, I found their site. Of course they are in the town I just moved from and are not here in NC.

Crap.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:16 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

Kato HB UserKato HB User

Question to anyone who had hemorrhoid treatment before. Did your doctor offer Infrared Coagulation (IRC) as one of a treatment option. I am just curious. I saw the ads, it just seem this is a better treatment for hemorrhod or is this just a hype??

Old 01-26-2008, 08:13 PM   #15
(male)

doglover HB User

Kato,

I went to 4 doctors and the first 3 docs offered nothing but surgery (no coagulation).

The 4th doc was the only one to suggest anything but surgery and he suggested the rubber band and then possibly doing surgery if need be.

Anything with less pain would be good with me though.

Closed Thread