It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2008, 06:47 PM   #1
(female)

shae12 HB User
colon resection

I Am A Very Active 40 Year Women, Who Just In The Past Year Has Had Colon Problems. I Was Dx With Mupile Diverticula Throughout My Colon In December 2006 And Was Put In The Hospital For 2 Days For Iv Antibotics. Then In Feb. 2007 Had Pain Another Ct Scan Dx Diverticulitis ( In My Sigmoid Colon)..i Did Really Well Until Dec.2007. 3 Days Before Christmas, Felt Pain, Called My Family Doc Who Put Me On Keflex And Order A Ct Scan..which Revealed My Sigmoid Colon Was Perferated,i Stayed On Clear Liquids For A Week, Had No Pain Meds My Urine Was Dark And Stool Was Black. The Next Week I Went To A Colon Surg..who Put Me On Flagly And Cipro..for 10 Days..my Surgery Is Not Sch. Until Feb. 20th, Will This Effect Me Waiting So Long? I Know They Did Not Want To Do Anything Until I Wasn't So Tender, But I Am Wondering If My Other Organs Are Being Affecting By This...he Also Want's To Cut Me , Instead Of Using A Scope...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2008, 05:50 AM   #2
(male)

billfisher01 HB User
Re: colon resection

Hello, I am in Exactly the same situation, I am 42 years old and like you never had any problems with my bowel, I am also very actice, walk alot etc...Its amazing because The dates you mention that you had problems are very close to mine, Just before xmas I was in the hospital on IV meds etc...

Ok , anyway, No question this is scarry, I have a colon resection this coming friday! It has been about 6 weeks since I was in the hospital, Waiting is hard because like you, I was in constant fear that I would get another infection that would prevent surgery and back me up another 6 weeks! Or worse cause me to need emergency surgery wich would mean the need for a colostomy bag...This thougfht terrified me! What I was adviesd to do the last six weeks is stay on a "low residue" diet, I made sure I had no constipation as I tokk a colace tablet every morning to keep thing soft. Jut watch yourself, eat right and you will make it to the 20th, as I said mine is on friday so I am almost there...

As for the other organs, I know my bladder felt funny when I had an active infection, this was due to pressure from the inflamed colon I was told.

Having this condition at our age is not fun but, I am acually looking forward to this now because I dont want any more problems or living in fear of a perferation..it is a timebomb and you never know when it will strike...No way to live at all! So get it done and between now and then take care of yourself the best you can..So you are not alone and I will let you know how I do friday!

My doctor also told me that he may do mine open vs lap..I dont care at this point how he gets it done just that he gets it done!

Hang in there and the 20th will be here before you know it

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread