It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2008, 06:50 AM   #1
(female)

shannonb72 HB User
1st colonoscopy

I am having my first colonoscopy on the 29th....i have all kinds of questions, but dont know where to start....i am trying to stay positive on what they might find....will they actually send me home sedated? or is there a chance that they will just admit me right then? for the last few days, i have been real nauseated, cant even drink water any more...i am afraid that i am gonna be dehydrated....sprite is ok if i sip it, but i am so thirsty..havent ate since sunday, well just a few wheat crakers....i am having small, ball bms, and alot of gas...very painful, my bladder is even hurting, hurts like h*** to go pee...starting to get lower back pain and pain on right side in back (upper), just under the shoulder blade...i have abdominal pain, mainly right side all the way up just under my rib cage....very hard to sit, hurts to bad so i lay down, then i get real dizzy and nauseated....
can anyone give me advice?

Old 01-23-2008, 07:32 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User
Re: 1st colonoscopy

Sounds like constipation isn't helping how you are feeling. I'd try a stool softener like Miralax and fiber, like Benefiber. Both are powder and you mix with water or whatever, they dissolve tasteless and textureless. When I get full I get severe pain, I can't even stand up straight.

As far as a colonoscopy; I've had two, both pretty easy. The prep isn't a lot of fun but manageable. The procedure itself was easy, I was out and what seemed like a minute passed and they were waking me. They sent me home both times, you'll need someone to drive... I was just slightly dizzy from those sedatives and had no other side effects.

Drink lots and lots of water, as that will also help with constipation. I would also let them know about your urinating being painful, you may have a UTI on top of everything else.

I hope you feel better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2008, 09:18 AM   #3
(female)

Stitcher317 HB User

Zoegirl,

I am about to schedule my first scope as well. What prep did you use and did you have any difficulty with it? I am a little (a lot actually) freaky since I have a phobia against vomiting and I here this can be a major problem with the prep....

Thanks for your input.....

Old 01-23-2008, 10:17 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User

I didn't have nausea either time, nor had I heard anyone had a problem with vomiting before. You can request anti-nausea pills to go along with your prep if it's a concern.
The first prep was some pills (it was a while back and don't remember which, but laxatives). I had cramping/diarrhea as expected.
The 2nd was a gallon jug I had to drink (Nulytely), 1 glass every 15 mins until it was gone. I had zero cramping but a difficult time drinking it all. I think I'd rather take the pills. Both worked great for a clean out.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:51 AM   #5
(female)

shannonb72 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeGirl View Post
Sounds like constipation isn't helping how you are feeling. I'd try a stool softener like Miralax and fiber, like Benefiber. Both are powder and you mix with water or whatever, they dissolve tasteless and textureless. When I get full I get severe pain, I can't even stand up straight.

As far as a colonoscopy; I've had two, both pretty easy. The prep isn't a lot of fun but manageable. The procedure itself was easy, I was out and what seemed like a minute passed and they were waking me. They sent me home both times, you'll need someone to drive... I was just slightly dizzy from those sedatives and had no other side effects.

Drink lots and lots of water, as that will also help with constipation. I would also let them know about your urinating being painful, you may have a UTI on top of everything else.

I hope you feel better soon.
thank you Zoegirl.....i have had UAs and blood test, there is no UTI....when i had my hysterectomy in 06, i had a catheder and that was more painful then anything......i am starting a chain of 'tests', which started a yr 1/2 ago, and ended with a hysterectomy, now Im going to the GI, and hopefully this time I will be fixed....i will keep you updated after my col.py on tues......thanks again...i will be intouch.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:58 AM   #6
(female)

shannonb72 HB User

i have been very nauseated the last few days, i guess it is stress or maybe a virus, but it just all goes together and is very uncomfortable.....i dont get to take a pill, i just have to be on a liquid diet starting sunday and then on monday at noon, i start drinking from the jug (nulytely--cherry flavored)...when my husband had back surgery he had to do to the same thing, so i know what is to be expected, as long as after my test on tuesday, they fix me.........i will keep you posted stitcher....what r ur symptoms?

shannon

Old 01-28-2008, 03:46 PM   #7
(female)

shannonb72 HB User

Hi yall....well, Im almost finished with my colonoscopy prep....it really hasnt been all that bad...well, ok, it has, but not bad....i had a light breakfast, hot tea, and a slice of toast @ 730am, drank alot of sprite and water, then at 100pm, i started the liquid (nulytely-cherry), ooh, that 1st drink was awful, but i just chased it with sprite, tea, or chicken broth...."IT" started happening about 1 hour after the 1st drink.........it has been a long day, nuthin to eat, drinking this stuff, and pooping, and really feeling just tired, is ok....i have 32 ounces left so I better go....

I will update tomorrow evening....

Old 01-28-2008, 04:43 PM   #8
(male)

gearpig HB User

I had the scope about 2 months ago. All is clear, except I have been struggling with a fissure, so the prep didn't help that. The morning of the scope, I was soooo hungry. I asked for a chessburger before they put me under. I awoke the the sounds of a little old lady in the bed on the other side of the curtain releasing the air they had put in her. It was quite amusing.

I came home and slept for another couple of hours, and then was able to eat. I don't remember what is was, but it was good. The worst part is the prep. If you made it through that ok, you're home free.

Last edited by gearpig; 01-28-2008 at 04:44 PM.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:13 PM   #9
(female)

shannonb72 HB User

hey there....i had my last drink 1 hour ago and i am still 'going'...i cant drink anything after midnight so maybe i wont have to get up during the night..yeah, i am so hungry...you know, im really weak, and i know that this comes with not eating....and yes my buns hurt...oops need 2 go bbl
sorry

Old 01-28-2008, 10:31 PM   #10
(female)

faeriesmom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearpig View Post
I had the scope about 2 months ago. All is clear, except I have been struggling with a fissure, so the prep didn't help that. The morning of the scope, I was soooo hungry. I asked for a chessburger before they put me under. I awoke the the sounds of a little old lady in the bed on the other side of the curtain releasing the air they had put in her. It was quite amusing.

I came home and slept for another couple of hours, and then was able to eat. I don't remember what is was, but it was good. The worst part is the prep. If you made it through that ok, you're home free.
gearpig did you have your fissure prior to the colonoscopy? I have to have second colonoscopy soon (it has been 5 years since the last one) and I am scared to death of what the prep will do to my fissure (dormant for the last two years)....

Old 01-29-2008, 05:11 AM   #11
(male)

gearpig HB User

Yes, I had the fissure for about 3 months, that I know of, before the scope. The scope didn't cause it. But the morning I went in for the scope, I was hungry and my butt hurt. Not a good way to start the day, but it ended better, with the news I was all clear.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:44 AM   #12
(female)

shannonb72 HB User

Hi yall....well it is the morning after and boy am i sore....my test went very well, he found some bad spots so he did some biopsies, get results back in few days......but boy, my lower back hurts, and well, its like i am carrying a very heavy innertube around my waist, im cramping alot, i remember they told me to walk alot and to take tylenol for the cramps/pain, OKAY, that dont help, so im gonna call today and see if this is normal and to see if there is any other OTC meds that i can take....
Next test is my ct scan....WISH ME LUCK!

My prayers are with yall,

shannon

Old 01-30-2008, 05:10 AM   #13
(female)

Claire13 HB User

I had my first colonoscopy yesterday and I really didnt find it easy at all.

The prep wasnt too bad to be honest, but the liquid I had to drink was fleet phospho something and it nearly made me sick it was that bad but yeh apart from that the prep is fine, just a sore butt from constantly going to the loo and feeling very sleepy due to lack of food etc.

However, I had done online research and I was under the impression i would get knocked out for the procedure. I didnt. They gave me some "sedative" which did NOT work! I didnt even feel like they had given me anything so I felt the whole thing. To be honest it only hurt at certain parts so I was able to watch the screen for most of it but there was a few occasions where I nearly made them stop because it was really sore. I just want to know if this is normal for most people because the other patients all looked out of it in terms of sedative yet i was awake and fully with it the whole time and was let out of hospital 20mins after procedure??

Good news is my colon is fine btw. And if you are going in for one, it might be painful if you aint sedated properly but it is worth it for peace of mind and it doesnt last long at all anyway.

Oh btw is it normal to loose appetite after the colonoscopy, because I really am finding it difficult to eat now and I should be starving!

Thanks, Claire x

Old 01-30-2008, 07:45 AM   #14
(female)

shannonb72 HB User

Hi Claire....i went in at 730am, and they put IV in with some electrolites and then about 1 hour later, took me in, laid me down on the bed on my left side, put oxygen on me, then put some "i dont care" medicine in IV, and then 1 minute later they gave me the KNOCK OUT medicine....yes, it knocked me out! i was out for 30 minutes and then when i was waking up, i was getting out of my wheelchair, going to the g-chair (chair that is like a wheelchair and recliner), and i was out of it for about 30 more minutes....i walked to the bathroom and then i had to drink half a can of sprite and then they sent me home.....i had alot of gas cramps and pain, but as soon as i got home, i had some soup and then went to bed for about 2 hours and then was just out of it the rest of day....appetite is fine, just alot of pain in abdomen still....waiting for dr to call me....
your experience is probably more common then you realize, sorry for the pain and discomfort that you had.....i will pray for you, for good health
take care,
shannon

Old 01-30-2008, 10:18 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Until your colon is filled back up there probably will be gas and some cramping &spams. This is all very normal.

I guess I have had 10 colonoscopies in my life and I tell the Doctor don't put me to sleep. I just don't the feeling and I like looking at the TV monitor while the test is going on. Also. using Lanacane will easy the burning anus.

Everyone responds differently!!

God Bless----Harry

Closed Thread