It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2008, 08:15 AM   #1
(female)

scared59 HB User
diverticulitis surgery

I had diverticulitis surgery on Wednesday (laproscopic surgery) I have been eating for 5 days now and I can only move my bowels 2 or 3 times a day and each piece is very thin pencil size and only about 1 or 2 inches long. I have quit eating because the back up pain is getting to be to much. Does anyone know if this is normal and how long it takes to start having regular bowel movements.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2008, 08:41 AM   #2
(female)

jenlynn HB User
Talking Re: diverticulitis surgery

Scared59-

I also had the Lapryscopic procedure (3 weeks ago today). I felt like I was run over by a truck! I was in the hospital 10 days. This is the first week that I'm starting to feel quite a bit better.

Things will get better w/the Bowel Movements. I was very fearful as well and last week posted a similar cry for help. I brought this concern/fear to the attention of my Surgeon last week when I had my staples removed. He said that after the procedure your colon will begin to function the way it did before the surgery. I was diagnosed with IBS in 2004 so I've had problems with Constipation for a while now. Because of not been able to eat high fiber (raw fruits and veggies, breads,...) and having to eat low residue until my Doc gives me the Ok to up the fiber-things will be constipating.

Call your Doc and see if Colace is OK. I take it 2x daily as well as Citracel. Although, I've taken a short hiatus from the Citrecel, because it still wasn't helping that great. I called my Doc and he said to get things rolling to try Milk of Magnesia 2x daily as well as keep up w/the Colace-THAT WORKED! I took it for 2 days (1st day-I tried just 2tbsps, 2nd day-2 tbsp 2x). Whoa! That did it! Now, I need to readjust because now the stool is a little too loose. I feel 10x more comfortable now!

Before taking anything-CALL YOUR DOC! It may be toooooo soon for your system because we (me included) still have much swelling inside. The colon is normally the circumference of about 1-1/2 golfballs. Ours is about 1/3 of that size-yes we will be constipated and uncomfortable.

Also, check with your Doc about your diet. You need to eat! I can only eat small bites here and there too avoid feeling bloated and uncomfortable. Yesterday, I over did it and paid the price. I had a pit in my stomach right below the bra line for quite awhile. I'm finding that hot tea seems to help me. Don't forget to drink your H2O!!! 6-8 glasses daily. I need to get back into this habit again as well. It's that fear of putting too much air in my stomach when I drink anything. Still we have to do it!

Take Care.
CALL YOUR DOC!

Jen

Last edited by jenlynn; 01-24-2008 at 08:42 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2008, 10:06 AM   #3
(female)

scared59 HB User
Re: diverticulitis surgery

Jen thank you so much for the reply. feeling a bit better but still only going to the bathroom every 3 or 4 days. needs to improve!!! maybe im eating to much. i see the doc on tuesday the 29 so i will ask more questions.

Closed Thread