It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2008, 08:27 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

ALA9222 HB User
Please help if you can...UC

I'm trying to find some help for my wife. She has Ulcers of Colitis. She has terrible sores that she gets in her mouth on her tongue and also gets them on her legs and groin area. The ones on her body almost look like boils and leave terrible scares when they leave. Does anyone else have this problem and is there any kind of treatment for it? The bowel issues are bad enough now these sores just make her so depressed I really just need to find her so relief.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Please help if you can...UC

Hi...I could only imagine all she's going through, for UC is enough.

Is she on meds for her UC and is it controlled? What has her GI doc said about it. There are definitely extraintestinal manifistations from UC....mouth and body sores are definitely part of it for some.

She could consider an antidepressant to get her through some of the emotional stresses.

quincy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2008, 07:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User
Re: Please help if you can...UC

Pyoderma gangrenosum (PG) is an inflammatory skin disorder that is characterized by small, red bumps or blisters ) that eventually erode to form swollen open sores (ulcerations). The size and depth of the ulcerations vary greatly, and they are often extremely painful. In approximately 50 percent of cases, PG occurs secondary to another disorder such as inflammatory bowel disease..
Treatment of pyoderma gangrenosum is based on severity of the disease and ranges from topical corticosteroid agents and local measures to high-dose corticosteroids and other systemic immunosuppressants..
If your wife is having problems with this then usually the colitis is flaired up severly..By getting the colitis under control better.Either steriods or a long term immunosuppressant medictaion such as Imuran. The ulcers in the mouth and skin should get better.. I would talk with her gastrologist about these ulcers and come up with a plan to get better control of the colitis.
One thing that helps with the mouth ulcers. Is to take equal parts of maloxx and benadrly both are over the counter meds. Mix up 1/2 cup pf each together.. Every two hours she should swish her mouth out with this mixture swish for a few minutes. Do NOT SWALLOW spit it out. The maloxx sooths and coats and the Benadrly helps healing and helps with the inflamation and pain. This works very good for me. I often have the mouth Ulcers due to crohns.
She needs to discuss methods and treatments with her doctor.,

Closed Thread