It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2008, 04:33 PM   #1
(male)

gearpig HB User
Surgery for Fissure

I have suffered with an anal fissure for several months now. The first CRS I went to was much less than helpful. The second doctor is much better, and came recommended by a friend who went through this about a year ago. The symptoms are getting a little better, now that the new doc has gotten me the correct medicine and applying it properly, but should this have healed in the two weeks that I have used the correct meds? Should I give it more time? I am fearful of the pain of recovery from the surgery. Can anyone tell me of your healing process from the LIS? I know that compared to some of the folks here, who I really feel for, I really have nothing to complain about. But I am not good with pain or needles. Thanks for any replies.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:18 PM   #2
(female)

tmh HB User
Re: Surgery for Fissure

I had a fissure for at least 10 years. I thought it was a hemmroid (sp). When I was constipated OMG the pain. I didn't go to a doctor because I was embarrassed. In 2001 the pain was so bad I could barely sit, so I went to the doctor's. He said I had a hemmriod and gave me some cream for the pain, but over the following two weeks, I was still in pain. Finally the doctor got me a referral for a protologist. I saw the protologist and was told I had a fissure and not a hemmriod. The following week I went in and had the surgery. I had tons of anxeity the morning of, needlessly. It really wasn't bad and the recovery was only a day of two of mild pain. I am sure the surgeon/doc will give you something for that. I know I was given 60 pills for pain and I ended up using about 4 or 5. A few days after the surgery I realized I should have gone in years before. All those years of pain, just because I was embarrassed. I hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2008, 08:59 AM   #3
(male)

gearpig HB User

That's what I needed to hear. Thanks so much. I have a lot of stress about this right now, and I know I need to just get it done. Thanks again for the encouragement.

Last edited by gearpig; 01-29-2008 at 05:06 AM.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:25 PM   #4
(female)

faeriesmom HB User

I suffered horribly with a fissure which I also thought was a hemorrhoid until my surgeon identified it as a fissure. During my worst outbreak I also got an abcess which resulted in a fistula. I had a fistulotomy and my surgeon said that she cut into the sphincter muscle just a bit for the fistulotomy but she hoped it would also take care of the fissure. It absolutely worked and I (touch wood) have not suffered from my fissure since my first fistula was operated on. There is nothing worse than a fissure that rears it's ugly head, i was never in so much pain from anything like I was from that fissure when it was at it's peak! I lost 20lbs in a month and missed almost 5 weeks of work! I was scared to take anything for the pain as most of the pain killers offered are constipating. Eventially I chose to take a non narcotic, which is also non constipating called Toradol or Ketorolak, it worked for me. Unfortunately my gp did not know very much about fissures, abscesses or fistulas but over the years we have both become quite knowledgable. I have not had the exact surgery that you are facing but similar and I would reccomend any surgery to take away the pain that an angry fissure can cause. I don't think you will regret your decision to have the surgery.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:08 AM   #5
(male)

gearpig HB User

Thanks for your reply. I am so looking forward to relieving the pain. I appreciate your sharing.

Closed Thread