It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2008, 09:00 AM   #1
(female)

jo237 HB User
Questions about Barium enema. Really Scared

Hi to all,
Just a brief history, I was admitted to hospital with a fecal impaction after an xray showed a mass in the colon. I have been taking movicol regularly but to little effect. buscopan helps a bit with the pain and spasms. the impaction seems to go ie I have about a 3 foot pencil thin bowel movement once every 10 days!! and it just seems to build back up. I had a CEA marker test done for cancer and that came back as 1.9 so normal. they want me to have a Barium Enema and to be quite honest I am literally scared to death. I have cancelled it twice and have heard so many stories about it being the most barbarric and invasive test.
I begged the doctor for another method of finding what was happening inside but she said this was the best one. someone once told me that it doesnt show anything up anyway.
My question is, can anyone please share their experiences of a barium enema and the after effects both good and bad.
The doctor gave me some diazapan to try and calm me down before the test but not even sure if that will help.
I quite simply have a huge fear about what will happen.
I know this is unreasonable as so many people have serious life threatning diseases but I really really do need some reassurance.
Many many thanks in advance
regards
jo

Old 01-25-2008, 10:46 AM   #2
(female)

jenlynn HB User
Re: Questions about Barium enema. Really Scared

I had a Barium Enema and it's really no big deal. Doesn't hurt-just very funky. Don't worry about it. When I had the procedure, the folks who did it were very clear in what they were going to do (step by step). If you have any questions be sure you ask as the procedure is being done.

As I said, be calm and don't worry. It's just kind of weird feeling-not painful.

Take Care.
Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2008, 11:26 AM   #3
(female)

jo237 HB User
Re: Questions about Barium enema. Really Scared

Thanks Jen for your reply, you have made me feel better. I was told that I would still be cramping days later from the enema and that it sometimes makes you sick.
thanks again

Closed Thread