It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2008, 07:42 AM   #1
(male)

billfisher01 HB User
My Colon Re-section Surgery details!

Ok, I promised I would give all the details so here goes

I think my story may be inspiring it has shocked me you will see why...

I went in friday morning for the surgery, I was very nervous..I had wonderfull nurses in pre-op and everything Was explained to me nicely and they really took the time to put me at ease..I met with the anesthisiologist who was wonderfull and was alot of fun to be with, he gave me some versed and that really calmed me down to the point where I was acually giggling ! My surgeon told me all would be well and off we went! I dont remember being put to sleep at all no counting no nothing, next thing I knew I was in recovery with a bunch or nurses talking to me telling me I made it! The only complaint I had was the foley cathader, it felt like I had to constantly urinate and was very uncomfortable..Other than that I had no horrible pain etc...The surgery took 3 hours

They braught me to a room that night and I dont remember much, I had lots of pain meds etc and was out of it, Saturday was my worst day, I had alot of gas pains...The nurses were surprised how fast my bowells had "woke up" It was painfull but that night I started pasing gas like crazy and felt much better, again, they were very surprised at how fast I was advancing! My surgeon came to see me and said he removed about 9 inches of left side colon that had lots of diverticular in it and that the surgery went well etc..He was able to do the whole thing Laproscopically and all I have is a few small holes and about a 3 inch cut on my belly button area...

Ok now sunday! I felt very good all day, walking the halls etc....pasing gas and generally doing well, I was alowed to start o soft diet and did..No problems...Now for the most amzing part, I had a bowell movement Sunday night! It wasnt much but it was uneventfull and I had no pain, about two hours later I had another one, again no problems...Everyone was surprised, myself included, I had figured it would be a week before I would have a movemnet etc...By monday morning I was off the IV and the doctor saw me walking briskely down the halls etc and said to me "You want to go home?" I said YES!! so I m now home, I had a BM Last night and agin this morning, no problems, yes its loose and not normall but its all working ok...I took a walk up and down the neiborhood this morning and just came in to write this for all of you...

My pain at this point is like I was hit in the stomach, its not intense but its there, I realize I have to take it easy But I think this is going very well, I dont know if I am lucky or what? Maybe its the surgeon I had who is fantastic ? I just feel I am fortunate to have this outcome and hopefully others will as well, I am glad I had this done and I am looking forward to living a normall life soon, any questions please ask!

Again, What stuns me the most is the pasing gas and bowell movements a day and a half after surgery, its really amazing to me. I expected much worse!

Thanks to everyone here for there support! Bill

Last edited by billfisher01; 01-29-2008 at 07:46 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2008, 11:15 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User
Re: My Colon Re-section Surgery details!

Welcome home!! Sounds like you did great!

Thank your bowels for waking up sooner rather than later. I didn't pass any gas or have a bm a full 4 days post op. Surgery on a Monday, discharged Saturday AM!!

Now, rest and relax. It's all over...now the recovery.

Linda

Old 01-30-2008, 02:21 AM   #3
(female)

MrsQueeZ HB User

Congratulations on getting through your surgery! It's such a relief, even though you have a recovery to get through. My bowels woke up about the same time I did, so I thought it would be a breeze, but I was plagued by nausea and even vomiting, and didn't get to eat for 3 days. Remember to take it easy! Once home, I pretty much ate what sounded appealing, within reason, and all was fine. Your BMs will get back to normal soon. I actually worried about the solid ones, thinking it would stretch the area repaired, but that is what the doctor wanted!

Old 01-30-2008, 07:17 AM   #4
(male)

billfisher01 HB User

I would not consider my bowel movements "normal" yet, kind of weird acually..I hope they get back to normal..I am aware it will take time...I also have trouble sleeping on my side..I hate sleeping on my back but, it is what it is I guess! I am atking pain meds wich help but overall, I think I am doing very well..The reality is its a peocess and takes time..I acually feel better standing up than I do sitting, caughing still is painfull but getting better!

Old 01-31-2008, 11:52 AM   #5
(female)

jenlynn HB User

Hey Bill!

Glad to hear that all went well surgery-wise. I bet your happy to be home. It definitely is the best place to be.

Well, I'm 4 weeks post surgery-I can move around fairly quickly and feel pretty good now. I'm still on leave from work unil 2/15 due to the fact I teach 3rd Graders in Detroit where I am on the 2nd floor and have to go up and down quite often (as well as be on my feet, bending over to help kids,...). Overall, I'm doing well in comparison to even last week. Just a little Motrin when needed and that's it. I can even wear normal clothes that don't have an elastic waist. YEAH!!! I have my 2nd follow-up appointment with my surgeon next Thursday. Still need to eat less fiber food items and drink more H2O right now. Cheated a bit.

Bet you'll look forward to getting your staples out. Mine look much better now that the tape has fallen off as well as the dried blood. Hopefully, the scars will soften up.

Take Care.
Jen

Old 02-01-2008, 06:57 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

lady287 HB User

I am eight weeks post-op. I had 18 inches removed and also my appendix. I am feeling pretty good. I also am able to eat what I want and seem to have normal bowel movements. My strength is good too. My only problem is that I still have a fairly large 'baseball' bump near the three inch incision. I had developed a hematoma during the surgery, and my surgeon said it will take MONTHS to go away. It hurts occasionally, like when I cough or sneeze, or walk too fast. I am walking two miles a day, but could not run if I tried. I've heard that it takes up to six months to feel the way you felt pre-surgery. I am very grateful, however, to not have any gas and bloat and pain like I used to!!

Closed Thread