It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2008, 07:51 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User
Small bowel obstruction?

Anyone here have this ever i am wondering what thier experience might have been with this please?
Love,Monkey

Old 02-03-2008, 08:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User
Re: Small bowel obstruction?

Oh my gosh Monkey!
I can recall so clearly the misery and pain it caused me.
It starts off with cyclical sharp stabbing pains that start out slowly and further apart from one another. you think it's going to go away so you do nothing about it. then the nausuea strikes and then the vomitting. there is no position that makes you feel comfortable or to stop the gripping pain that shoots thru your abdomen when it hits.
I remember getting on my knees in bed and curling into a ball, my head towards my lap and just holding onto the sheets for dear life until the pain stopped.
I waited all day for my fiance to get home from work. I called the dr shorty before that to find out what I can take to make the nausau go away. I told her I was constipated. I had just had surgery for a hysterectomy and I was home already a week from the hospital when this occured.
I didn't listen and drink enough water like they told me to. I didn't listen to stay out of bed as much as possible and walk around. I didn't listen to not eat any type of food that can worsten constipation. a lady at the hospital, a cleaning lady told me not to eat any type of white food but to eat foods high in fiber. no white rice, no oat meal, no white bread. of course I didnt listen. so between the surgery slowing down your intestines and the pain medication , I had no idea there was a time bomb ready to go off.

I began vomitting and I couldn't stop. just when the body relaxed and you were able to go back and hope it was over, the sharp pain would start again.
it was like having pains of child birth. the contractions. there was no more solids in my stomach to vomit and that's when I started vomitting bile which burned the heck out of me.
even my dog knew something was wrong. she stayed by myside that entire day. when my man got home, he called the dr and she said to go to the Emergency room, which I recall the ride there was like the ride from hell.
I had to keep my head down, not look at anything and try to focus on each contraction when it hit.
I recall the staff there treating me horrible once they found out I was taking methadone for a drug habit I'd had 8 yrs ago and I no longer was doing drugs. but they ask you in the triage what meds' your taking.
once she found that I was taking that, she thought i was there faking it and drug seeking. drug addicts have a reputation in the hospitals for doing that.

I remember asking if I could have a sip of water to cleanse my mouth out from the acidy taste of vomit. she told me to get it myself and that the sink was right there. I was so sick I could barely stand up straight let alone get off my chair and get a cup of water.

then to make it worst, the dr on call asked me over and over again and even how do I spell the name of the company I worked for. I felt he was purposly torturing me. it was the night from hell for sure.
I thought maybe they were doing a skit from "candid camera". I dont' know if people here are old enough to remember that program. I"m 47 yrs old.

when I was finally brought into the room and the nurse was getting me ready by asking questions, the vomit reflex happened and I couldnt' answer her and I all of a sudden let it out. she screamed at me saying" DONT' THROW UP ON THE FLOOR" GHEESH!
I felt like a humilated little girl that was scolded by an old witchty school teacher for having wetting her pants accidently because my bladder was too small to hold it.
I was NEVER so humilated and have never been treated with such disprespect when I felt like i was literally dying right before everyone and no one believed me.
finally the dr ordered an xray and a cat scan. the liquid you drink for the cat scan worked like a laxative and I had to run to the bathroom. that helped unblock what ever was blocked up. like a stuck drain that has draino poured into it.
well, the dr came back to me and saw that there was really something going on in me and that's when the mean old nurse turned sweet as honey and she had compassion and told me she was going to give me an anti nausua drug and pain medication I.V. to make me feel better.
I recall I didnt have a moments rest for almost eight or nine hours. the moment the pain medicine took effect, I finally felt relief and I was so exhausted that my body and mind just melted right into the bed.

it wasn't over yet. when they had a surgeon come and make a decison to do emergency surgery or not, he took a chance by saying I'd have no food for a day or two to rest the intestines and then add food, only soft food mind you, like clear broth, no caffeine, just green or yellow jello, no red, because incase they have to do surgery, the die from the red jello can look like bleeding inside, ( I will never eat green or yellow jello again for the rest of my life) but when you're starving you eat anything.
my abdomen was so distended and bloated and the nurses couldn't hear any activity going on. that's another way they test your insides. by listening for sounds.
I was in the hospital for five or more days. I recall towards the end that my stomach finally started working again and it was growling. I was STARVING!!! I just wanted a food I can chew, not just swallow.
I begged for one saltine cracker and I had a ferocious headache from going thru the withdrawals of caffeine detox. I wasn't allowed caffeine. I drink many cups of coffee a day remember.
that alone was torture in itself.
when one of the nurses finally got permission for me to eat a cracker and I could have a cup of hot tea with it, I felt like I was in euphoria. like i was in heaven.
I learned a big lesson from that ordeal.
listen to what your discharge nurse says to you upon instructions when you're discharged from the hospital on not what to do and make sure you drink plenty of water when taking pain medication and walk around as much as possible rather than just lay in bed after a major abdominal surgery.
boy did I learn the hard way.
My worry now is since I had that former small bowel partial obstruction, I couldnt' imagine an entire obstruction if mine was just partial, if it was a full obstruction, they would have had to do major emergency surgery the night I walked in.
thank God I didn't have to and I think it was the cat scan solution you have to drink that made me be able to go. I said they should make that stuff over the counter for people who have chronic constipation. every time i drink that solution, it goes right thru me.

i've had chronic constipation ever since that happened to me back in 2005.

I don't know if the partial obstruction damaged my body somehow or if it was the hysterectomy that caused it now that I dont have my own natural estrogen. I have synthetic.

by the way? what was your purpose in asking about a small bowel obstruction? are you having any signs of one yourself?

if so, do not wait like I did. go immediatly to the ER.

Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2008, 08:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

lint, thats the only thing i do not get pain and i haven't ever vomited but i have alot of the other symptoms and even my dr. said i felt full and it's like it's not coming out right ever. Ithier that or i am very swollen from somethng else feeling, i don't know.
Love, Monkey

Old 02-09-2008, 07:36 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sorry for the delay in the reply monkey,
I haven't been on the computer that much lately.
but, I did want to say to you that I too used to have problems too before it got tot he point where there was a partial obstruction.
did your dr recommend that you take something to get your tract moving so that it prevents it from becoming blocked?

after my episode at the ER, my gastro dr on the phone told me I have irritable bowel syndrome and he told me to go and buy over the counter "mirilax" and take metimucal, PLUS, sennekot tablets when needed.
I didn't know I was only to use the sennekot tablets only when needed and assumed he meant for me to take them everyday with the other products he told me to take.
I just found out yesterday from my family dr that laxatives can be harmful to your colon if you take them all the time and that I should only use sparingly.
he did say that the sennekot, either store brand or name brand ( they both have the same exact ingrediants in them) so I buy the cheaper of the two, he did say that this type is the most natural form of laxative and that it's gentle.

so be careful with the laxative. but I highly recommend the miralax because it doesn't make me gaseous, but the back of the jar on the metimucal does say to start off taking only one teaspoon in the beginning for first timers, and then to build up to using 3 teaspoons a day when the body gets used to it.

fiber tends to make some people more gaseous if you already have a bowel problem. and boy , they weren't kidding when they said that.
so i"m not taking the metamucal every day now but am the miralax.
it's expensive, but well worth it.
there is no flavor to it and tastes like you're just drinking water.
you just mix it real well in an 8 oz. glass of water and make sure you drink plenty of water the next few hours.

I stay away from anything binding so it doesn't start the constipation over again. it's a horrible cycle, isn't it?
I've been eating apples thinking it will help my constipation but I read somewhere that if people have IBS, that apples can effect the constipation and make it worst. who ever heard of that????

How are you feeling lately? any better I hope?

sincerely,

Linda

Old 02-09-2008, 07:45 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

Linda,thats okay for the delay! I'm not going anywhere lol! I have been doing okay last few days but I went this morning and i got pain in my liver/gallbladder area ugh, not sure what that was about and i wasn't straining. My problem is i will go like a week without going but it never a problem to go. It's no nerve racking.Things seem to really have gotten somewhat better since i have changed meds but i still have up abdominal discomfort and and swelling or detention and i did find out this last week that i have a hernia and not sure if this would play a part in all this. I have also taken Miraloax but hard to afford and i'm trying pepcid. Take care!
Love,Missy

Old 02-09-2008, 08:17 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey Missy,
I'm glad you happened to be on your computer so you recieved my message right away. it's good to hear back from you.

I'm wondering if you've ever had abdominal surgery in the past?
IF so, this can play a part in causing adhesions inside which can be causing your pain in the specific area you're having pain when you push.

or, maybe you do have adhesions inside that's pulling on your gallbladder and other area you spoke of which can cause the pain also.

I didn't even know my organs were stuck together until I was having abdominal surgery for an ovarian cyst that had to be removed and the surgeon decided while in there, he'd explore a little bit and that's when he found out there organs were matted together by adhesions.

I've had a number of abdominal surgeries and it's known that every time you do have surgery, it causes more scar tissue to form. just from the surgery alone.

An MRI and even a CT scan wasn't even able to detect this, only when the dr visually saw inside. I guess these other tests can't see adhesions?

anway, it's just an idea I have.

I can't wait till they find out what's going on inside so you can be at peace.
I know it would bother me if I were you.

I get a very sharp pain sometimes when I have a bm in the upper left hand quandrant of my abdomen and it hurts like a sharp, deep pain and I"m wondering what the heck could it be that's hurting so much.
it just started happening to me recently and doesn't happen all the time.

I'm wondering if maybe my partial bowel obstruction I had has caused scar tissue or adhesions to form myself.

I'll let you go now and I wish you a pain free day.

let me know what happens, ok?

sincerely,
linda

Old 02-09-2008, 09:13 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

linda,yes kinda unfotunately i have had two c-sections and a hysterectomy and a tubligation and the hysterectomy was c-section type not vaginal so it is very possible as my dad had mentioned this many times and said my grandma found that out with only an autopsy.I am gonna pont this out at the next dr.s visit as she know some of whats been going on but not recently how the upper abdominal area really feels and see if she will at least order maybe an exray or a baruim or whatever might detect a small obstruction and i am still waiting to go back to the OBGYN about ovarian cysts and recommend he takes the ovaries out because this seems to maybe be playing a part and it might make sense see as i wasn't diagnosed with anything per GI Dr. and it's funny how i started having back pain ect. and then found out i had cysts and now a hernia and all this abdominal stuff. Even though they say this wouldn't cause the backpain i am not too sure what they see because i have heard others say it can! So at least see what he thinks as he was positive it was a GI thing. I will keep you updated! Take care,
Missy

Old 02-17-2008, 08:01 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey Missy,
I'm checking in to see how you're making out?

did you go to another doctor or find out anything yet?

how are you feeling?

they say that womans gyno problems can get diagnosis mixed up with gastro problems. I've seen it happen. because they may not see something come up on a certain test, the gyno will refer you to your gastro and the gastro will refer you to your gyno dr. it's ridiculous, but important to make sure which one really needs to find out what's going on.
they even say that symptoms of ovarian cancer can mimic stomach problems.
the bloating, the abdominal pain, problems with going to the bathroom, etc. it SOUNDS like it would be gastro related but as you know, it's not.

so it's a tricky thing for some.

I hope you are doing well.

Linda

Old 02-17-2008, 04:09 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

Linda,thanks for checkng in with me, it's nice to know your not alone! I went back for consult with the obgyn dr. and in the meantime we have found i have a hernia and this could be the cause as well but he is referring me to a surgeon who will hopefully let him put a scope in an explore as he as well as others mentioned because i've had surgerys that there could be some lesions also and wants to check. I am also scheduled for another pelvic ultrasound to see what them cysts are up to.I will have this done this week i believe and then another recheck with him! Hopefully the surgeon will allow him this! So i will let you know what happens! Meanwhile i still get very constipated ect. but i have been taking pepcid now and being up and about as much as possible to ease some discomfort when my back and leg lets me!Take care!
Melissa

Old 02-20-2008, 03:01 PM   #10
(female)

bocmember01 HB User

Mine was characterized by excruciating, vise-like pain which woke me up in the early morning hours. It would subside and return with a vengeance. Vomiting followed. I'd had abdominal surgery 9 years previously and in my research it's not uncommon for bowel obstructions from adhesions to occur up to 10 years after the surgery so this one just made it.

I was told to report to the emergency room and had a bowel resection the next day. The doctors observed me for a day and hoped the bowel would untwist on its own, but mine didn't. My surgeon removed a foot long section of the small bowel which surprised him since he approached this laparascopically, but upon seeing a blackened bowel he made the full incision. He was actually rather excited about it when he came to my room to show me photos he'd taken. I don't even remember what the pics looked like since I was out of it.

Anyway, I've fully recovered but everytime I feel a little twinge in my abdomen I can't help but wonder if another adhesion is developing. I even wonder about adhesions if I'm not regular. I know they can recur and the surgery to remove adhesions can cause future adhesions. Some people are prone to developing them.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:06 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you for sharing what happened to you bocmember01.
You poor thing. it must have been horrible for you in the recovery period too due to the fact they had to take part of your intestines out.
I can't imagine the recovery period.
I've had about six surgeries in my life, and the more I have, the more I can't tolerate the recovery period. the pain is horrible. and don't listen to them when they say that laparoscopy is less painful than excistional. I find that a bunch of bologna, because I have adverse reactions to the gas they put in to inflate the stomach so they can see inside.
the air becomes trapped inside and gets trapped by the diaghrapm, (spelling) and shoots pain in your shoulders like you're having a heart attack. nothing stops the pain. even getting up to walk so it gets absorbed didn't work for me.
my recovery at home took longer than they said and I couldn't go back to work any sooner than planned.
so the fact you had abdominal surgery AND the laparoscopy must have been very trying on you. you sound like a very strong woman.

I hope it doesnt happen again to you. I understand the more surgeries we have and the fact even going in to remove the adhesions does cause more to form. so do they leave them? or do they take them out?
it's a no win situation.
you at least know the warning signs now and I do too, which before that episode, I never ever heard of the signs of one.
there is no question whether one is having an attack that's for sure.

Melissa,
are you still there? what's happened so far? are you doing any better?

it's been some time since I've been back.

hope you are doing well.

sincerely,
Linda

Old 02-23-2008, 12:18 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

linda, i am hanging in here, still waiting for the hookup with a surgeon and i had to cancel my pelvic ultrasound and need to rechedule as i got the flu the day before and there was noway i could drink all that water and hold it in with coughing and such ugh The worst is over though but over half the family got it grrr, gottas love winter time but xmas is gone so it can go now, but i also should have gotten the flu shot and kick myself in the butt for it! As for my stomach i swear theres something living in there and irritating my organs by my rib cages it's so annoying, not painful just annoying all day. All i know is when i mentioed to my dr. about there being a posibility of a parasite and then having her feel the nodes or whatever and here saying they could very well be adhesions or something i just hopeit gets figured out soon . I posted somewhere once that sometimes i just feel like ripping my stomach out to get to whats inside! I wish i could find someone who could relate to this as it's so weird as if my bowels are moving constanly or contracting or suchand the only time i can't feel is when i'm asleep.
Take care, melissa

Old 02-26-2008, 07:57 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

So sorry to hear the bad new of the flu Melissa. but glad to see you recieved my message to see how you're doing.

I have never in my life heard anything such as you explained what you feel inside your stomach, under your ribs. as if something is trying to get out.

gas will do that. it can really feel like there's a real live baby in there. I've experienced that myself.

I just wish they can find out once and for all what on earth is going on with you. Please don't forget to keep me informed if you're up to it, that is.

later,

Linda

Old 02-26-2008, 08:42 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

linda, i am finally starting to feel better with the flu had to get an antibiotic for sinusitis and ear funk ugh. Do you think it's possible to have the gas 24-7 non stop? The only time i am getting relief is when i don't eat anything at all like right now. It doesn't seem to matter what i eat though. As soon as i eat it's like my stomach starts moving. I just wonder that maybe my insides are so swollen that when i do eat theres not enough room or something. With having this cough too if i cough hard wich is getting better it's as something wants to move and and it hurts when this happens and it's as if somethings stuck and i jar it but it doesn't go anywhere. It would be better i swear if there was more pain and then there would seem to be a cause. I go today to to have my ultrasound of the cysts now that i can hold water in my bladder lol. And right now my stomach is growling but i don't want to eat as i don't want that feeling. The feeling i get is more in between the ribs in the middle of my upper abdomen the rib are the sorness part. The only other thing i can think of i for who knows how long have had this hernia that i am waiting to see a surgeon for that maybe it's just big enough to be pushing on nerby things and causing some of thie discomfort and makeing me full easily or somewhay cntributing to all this, your guess is as good as mine! Talk to you soon!
Melissa

Old 02-27-2008, 04:38 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

glad your flu is over Melissa.
did your doctor ever mention the stomach bacteria called H.Pylori?
helicobactorpylori? I don't know the correct spelling for it, but do a google and it will tell you the symptoms.
I had it many years ago. now they can do a simple blood test, or a breath test to see if the bacteria is in your stomach lining, or they can do a biopsy of the lining if they're in there doing an upper gastroscopy. it has to be eradicted with powerful antibiotics for one month and antacids as the course of therapy.
it can cause a host of problems for some, and for others, none at all.
a large percentage of the population has this bug in them and aren't even aware of it.
they have found this bug in many people who've had autopsies. they say it's transfered through the saliva of an infected person. it's in families and can be passed on by eating off the same utensils, etc.

I used to feel extremely full after eating meals. I'd feel extremely nausueas and bloated after eating. I felt gaseuous and ate antacids by the handful. belching helped me alot but being a woman and all, doesn't make it easy to do that. I lost weight, I wouldn't want to eat much. only a few forkfulls of food felt like I'd eaten 3 plates of food. it was horrible and my family dr thought it was all in my head. mind you, this was back in the early 80's and its' much different now.
my family dr. referred me to a gastro dr who eventually did a biopsy and told me I am offically ill and he wished me well and said he hoped I felt better and he handed me a script. Ever since that first day I stepped into that doctors office, I have loved him. he had compassion and really believed me that I felt ill. he took the time to find out what was wrong, rather than say it was all in my head.
mothers who are raising four children close in age can be blamed for stress if she has illness, especially if it's not able to be detected what it is right away.
that's the way I felt and I even hear other woman state that too.

It's just a suggestion. I'm only doing guess work and only a doctor can find out for sure.

can't wait till you get an appointment set up.

let me know what happens.

Linda

Closed Thread