It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2008, 07:57 AM   #1
(female)

2000airedale HB User
husband's upcoming surgery

After sufferening several attacks of diverticulitis for the past few years, my 40-year-old husband has decided to have his sigmoid colon removed this summer. Since we have two young children, one of whom has a disability, we are planning coverage from other family members from out of state to help out. Should 10 days be enough time with family for my husband to begin resuming normal functioning, barring unexpected complications? Can anyone tell me what to expect in terms of the recovery? He is having the surgery done laparascopically. Thank you.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:16 AM   #2
(male)

billfisher01 HB User
Re: husband's upcoming surgery

Hello there, I am just a couple years older than your husband (42) I am also married and have a daughter to consider..I had the same situation with recurrent diverticulitis attacks etc...I finally made the descision that enough was enough! I had almost 10 inches of my sigmoid colon removed Just this past January 25th, Mine was done Laproscopically..That was exactly 12 days ago, Now I realize everyone is different but at this point after 12 days I am functioning on my own, I am able to drive to school and pick my daughter up after school, I am able to walk around quite well, I am doing dishes, My pain level has almost faded to nothing, Sure I am sore in spots but it has drastically reduced...The worst of it for me was the 2 days after surgery, after that it was rapid improvement..I have my first follow up tommorow with the surgeon..I had my parents lined up ready to help out, friends, etc...After the first four days, none of it was really needed

My wife also had many contingencys in place, however for us most were not needed but, they are good to have in place just in case....I cannot speak for how he will be if it is done open -vs-laproscopic...I am sure the recovery time is much different..At the 10 day point, I was able to do everything I needed to do for myself...within reason...It will also take some time to regain normal bowel movements, mine are close now but at first it was strange! The key and many have said it here is to have your husband walk as soon as possible! It helps so much! I walk twice a day now around the block and it really has helped me out alot! They (the doctors) Acually do not want you laying around all day, thats the worst thing, the faster he walks and moves the faster the recovery! I really wish him well!

I still do not lift heavy things or do massive housework etc...But Like I said I do the dishes, I am able to care for my daughter and I feel good...I would say if he is in good health and has this done by a competent surgeon Laproscopically, he will feel very good in 10 days time!

Hope this helps! Your husband will be so happy to have those attacks behind him! Its the best choice at our age to just take care of it!

Anymore questions please ask!

Last edited by billfisher01; 02-06-2008 at 08:22 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2008, 05:42 AM   #3
(female)

punkin14 HB User

I recently underwent this same surgery on Monday. The doctor suggested I take 3 weeks off from work, to be easy on myself. I came home Thursday and took it easy on Friday. By Saturday, I was able to do dishes, etc. It's now Sunday, and I'm off the pain medicine. I'm trying to do a little at a time to keep me busy, but not over doing it. I believe that after 2 weeks I could go back to work, but I'm going to listen to the doctor and allow myself that extra time off. It's going to take time to get back the stomach muscles. By day 6, I was able to have an actual bowel movement, though it was small, pencil-like. I just had to take my time and allow myself to relax. Hope everything goes well with your husband.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:47 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

Hi.....

Having had both open and laparoscopic abdominal surgery (open in the 80's, lap this past August for diverticulitis), your husband should be up and about, driving in fact, by 2 weeks if his surgery is laparoscopic. Obviously, open recovery is longer.....a good six weeks before he'd get the all clear!

You mention having a disabled child whom, I assume, needs lifted and carried? That is one restriction your husband will follow (nothing over 50 lbs.) after both types of surgery. He will be tired, but stamina returns quickly! So, having some help for 10 days sounds good. By then, the soreness will be minimal, he'll be moving around a lot and able to pitch in with normal household chores....except for the lifting. The surgeon will advise when that restriction should be lifted. Remember.....the healing inside from the anastomosis (re-connection of the colon) is the same regardless of surgical approach.

Good luck to your hubby,
Linda

Closed Thread