It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2008, 09:39 AM   #1
(male)

billfisher01 HB User
Probiotics?

I have started taking these, I am taking the culturelle? anyway what kind of things should I notice? I dont want to waste my money if they do nothing? Thanks

Old 02-09-2008, 03:30 AM   #2
(male)

The Mayor HB User
Re: Probiotics?

I too am starting a regimen of probiotics today but I chose a different one than yourself. From my quick search on your item, "Culturelle", I would have to say that it looks suspect in a couple of ways. First off, it is made by ConAgra Foods a super conglomerate business involved in many food products and not specializing in one thing. Second it looks like the capsules are not enteric coated, which means not much of the bacteria will ever make it past your stomach acid. Remember the amount of probiotics in any formula is not as important as their survival rate. The product should be coated.

I am hoping that trying a probiotic is going to help me re-gain my ability to eat foods I normally could eat a few years ago and now cannot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2008, 03:34 AM   #3
(male)

The Mayor HB User

Oh I forgot to really answer your question. The following I have read should happen over a period of two weeks or so. Some people experience symptoms such as softer feces, harder feces, tiredness, bloating, gas and headaches.
These are all signs that the body is ridding itself of harmful organisms and toxins that were accumulated in the body. Supposedly some people also feel more energetic and alert, so it depends on individual to individual. I hope it works for you.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Billfisher,
I certainly agree with The Mayor about some things.

Everyone is different and may need different probiotic supplements to help their problems. Your intestines contain over 400+ strains of bacteria-- so it is not a simple matter to replentish or re-balancing them with friendly bacteria when they are out of balance. You may need several or many culture strains to do thejob and Culturelle is only one strain of friendly bacteria but a very good one. You may not notice anything for awhile but as you get your intestine to an good healthy state -- your digestion and absorption of nutrients will improve and your immune system will be stimulated. Optimal nutrient absorption will eventually show up in your blood work with better digestion and you will notice that you digest foods better w/o indigestion and gas.

I have used Culturelle off and on for about 7 years.
I found that for the first month it is best to take it twice daily. It contains Lactobacillus GG also known as L rhamnosus. It was patented in 1985 by 2 doctors at Tufts University. It was found by them that it a hardy culture -- it survives well bile, & stomach/ intestinal acids as well as reasonable heat. to colonize your intestines.

It is packaged in a double foil bubble pack that the air is puraged out using an inert gas -- nitrogen for freshness. At the time of packaging it contains 30 billion live cultured cells and is listed on the container to have 10 billion cells guaranteed minimum at the "used by date" if stored at room temperature. Storeing it in refrigeration prolongs the Ex date.

Culturelle use to be produced by ConAgra but is now a registered trademark of Amerifit Brands, Inc in Cromwell,CT and is one of their major products.

Other probiotics supplements that I use are Primal Defense, Primadophilus Reuteri, Primadophilus Bifidus, PB-8 and Complete Probiotics distributed by Dr Mercola. As you know there are many others on the market. Some are better than others.

I also eat Stonyfield Farm plain yogurt daily and Lifeway Kefir.

I wish you well---Harry

Old 02-12-2008, 05:56 AM   #5
(male)

billfisher01 HB User

Thanks Harry, I ordered something called "Dr.Ohriaas" probiotics but have not got them yet...Anyway since taking the ones I have and eating yogurt everyday, it really seems that my bowel habits have changed for the better...could be sycolodgical...I dont know but for whatever reason, I am better in that department....I also stated drinking Danactive once a day also.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:36 PM   #6
(male)

Iggy Dalrymple HB User

I've been using Culturelle for about 10 years. Only Culturelle succeeded in stopping my several month bout with diarrhea.

I have previously also liked Stony Field Farm yogurt because it was the only yogurt that contained L Reuteri. Today, however, I bought their product and noticed that L Reuteri is no longer listed in the contents. I will therefore refrain from paying double for their yogurt. From now on, I will buy the cheap house brand and add L Reuteri and Culturelle. I intend to use bulk Reuteri powder from VitaCost.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-27-2008 at 08:02 PM. Reason: posted commercial website - please read our rules - product names are allowed, websites are not

Old 02-27-2008, 09:50 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Iggy,

I was also very disappointed and concerned that Stonyfield Farm quit adding L reuteri to their products but I think reuteri just cost more since it is a patented product from Europe-- that is cultured in Sweden and processed in Denmark and was the only yogurt that contained the culture strain reuteri in the USA or all of the North America continent.

The culture that Stonyfield Farm replaced L reuteri with is L rhamnosis that is also the same as what is in Culturelle -- maybe a different strain than the Lactobacillus GG in Culturelle. But, Stonyfield Farm yogurt is still an Organic yogurt and does add acidophilus, bifidus, L casei a total of 4 to their organic products that contains no preservatives, herbacides, antibiotics and growth harmones in the milk they use to make their yogurt.
I think it is much better than the cheaper yogurts just because it is Organic -- I think that also adds to the cost. As you may know all yogurts contains 2 cultures just for fermenting them and are not listed on the Stonyfield label.

Brown Cow is also producted by Stonyfield Farm made on the west coast. And -- the New Hamphire based company is now 85% owned by a French company.

I went to a local healthfood store and tried a better yogurt -- I ended up with Cascade that contains more active cultures but did not like the taste-- of just the plain yogurt.

If you find a better yogurt, please let me know here on this Board?

I also like and use Lifeway Kefir -- you may like it also-- Kefir has lots of cultures in it's natural form and has a long history of being a good probiotic supplement drink.

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 02-27-2008 at 10:03 PM.

Closed Thread