It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2008, 09:57 PM   #1
(female)

cautiouscynthia HB User
Colon Resection: ScaredyCat needs help/has ??s

I'm so glad I found this message board. I'm scheduled for a colon resection on 2/21 and am starting to freak out...again. I was scheduled for one last year at about this time and ended up cancelling at the last moment because everytime I thought about it, I ended up crying.

Brief colon history: October 2005 had 1st bout of diverticulitis (1st diagnosed); had barium enema catscan (ugh; will never do that again); flagly & levaquin with rest at home & tylenol for pain cleared it up.

Another very mild attack beginning of 2006 but not as bad, in fact did not even finish full antibiotic treatment because we were leaving for vacation & I wanted to be able to drink.

November 2006 had VERY painful recurrence with bleeding (but bright blood so my understanding is that it didn't indicate perforation). This was a very difficult bout to get over; 1st it started quite suddenly (at a wedding reception, eating dinner, feeling great, suddenly, I felt terrible & by the time I went to the bathroom, I almost passed out from the pain; I couldn't even get up to get my husband to tell him what was happening; some kind soul saw me & went & got him). Took me a LONG time to get over feeling crappy, being really wiped out; 3 weeks of double antibiotics. Plus the colon swelling intensifies my vaginal prolapse problems (cystocele/rectocele). When I'm healthy, not bothered by them at all; when having diverticulitis attack, they're really presenting. So had colonoscopy after 6 weeks, then had to wait another 6 weeks for the surgery. Still wasn't convinced I needed surgery. So decided to quit nicotine, eat better--though I eat very well but a little too much fat--and reduce drinking to just minimal. Felt if I could go 1 year, it was working & I'd be fine.

Well, 2 weeks short of 1 year (mid-Oct. 2007), yup, I had another attack. Like 1st one (not the bad bleeding one). But I had postponed trip to MidEast because 2 surgeons had warned me if I had an emergency attack there, I'd end up with a bag for the rest of my life or much worse.

So here I am. Questions: I don't sound like my episodes were as bad as many of yours; do you all think I really need the surgery? Major questions are on expectations for presurgery, surgery, postsurgery.

Presurgery: I know I basically do what I did for the colonoscopy but do I need to avoid popsicles/jello/drinks etc that have red or blue die again? If I take my meds usually at night (for sinus, high blood pressure, estrogen, ibuprofin for torn meniscus) is that ok if surgery is at 10am?

Surgery: will I have chance to talk to surgeon & anasthesiologist right before but when still clear-headed, or when I 1st arrive at hospital which may be several hours before the surgery (scheduled for 10am but have been warned that he'll take all emergency surgeries first).

Post-surgery: in the past, narcotics (morphine/codeine/etc) make me throw up, make my blood pressure go way down, and have given me hallucinations. So bad. Anyway to avoid this? The thought of throwing up with my incision wounds & especially the anastomosis (sp?) really makes me feel creepy.

Assuming everything goes well (thanks for the advice to get up & walk as soon as possible), how soon will I be able to go up & down stairs? If it's important to walk, & I can't do stairs for awhile, and it continues to snow & be so cold around here, how will I be able to walk around? My house--especially if keeping to the main floor, isn't that big!

It really helps so much to hear others experiences. Not quite sure if it's ok for husband to go on a little trip he had planned previously 2 weeks after my surgery date--will I be able to function & take care of myself ok? Like driving, grocery shopping, etc??

Thanks for any & all help you can give!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread