It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2008, 07:29 AM   #1
(female)

scared59 HB User
colon resection constipation

Hi everyone I had a colon resection for diverticulitis about 4 weeks ago. I'm having a problem going to the bathroom. My rectum feels swollen and stuffed, I get the urge to go and have to push hard just to get out a thin poop or flat wide poop. Starting to really hurt,I always feel packed. Does anyone know if this is normal. I still am not allowed to have fresh fruits and veggies. They have me on a soft low fiber diet with colace twice a day. Any info would be appreciated

Old 02-11-2008, 12:19 PM   #2
(male)

billfisher01 HB User
Re: colon resection constipation

In my opinion because I am in no way an expert, I would think after 4 weeks you would not need a low residue diet anymore? My doctor took me off that at 2 weeks?? Anyway, I would make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids, taking the colace etc..But the best advice I think would be to see the doctor right away, Constipation is nothing to fool around with especially after surgery

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redneon82 HB User

Can you try spinach? Frozen, just steam it in the microwave and I add margarine. That always cleans me out good when I am stopped up. But I did notice that I go less (volume) than before the surgery. My theory on this is because my colon was so messed up before (and I have no gall bladder) that I just didn't digest anything! Now I am using all the food for nutrition. Mine are narrow too unless I eat the spinach, then it is more but I do that if I am constipated for more than one day. Hope this helps.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:22 PM   #4
(female)

jackiem66 HB User

well guys,i had my colon resection on febuary 8th,2008..im going on a month.and i must say that even though i am slightly constipated, i say slightly because ever since i started walking more and eating SPINACH i have been going more regular...SO I THANK YOU FOR SUGGESTING IT TO ME!!!! i get up at 5am everyday and i go straight to the bathroom its still a bit hard but by the end of the day i have gone enough to be satisfy....SO TO ALL PLEASE TRY THE SPINACHJUST MIX THE SPINACH WITH SOME BUTTER,CHPPED UP GARLIC AND OLIVE OIL...ITS PRETTY GOOD

Old 03-06-2008, 03:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redneon82 HB User

Isn't spinach wonderful? I feel bad for all those who don't like it, because it's really just about the only thing that keeps me regular. Your recipe sounds good, that's the only way I can get my son to eat it (he's 1/4 Italian and loves the garlic).

I also find that sunflower seeds, edamame (soybeans), broccoli and mini-wheat cereal help as well. Rice & cheese really mess me up. I had risotto the other night and while it was delicious, it was the 2 worst things for me combined!

You are also right about the walking. It's amazing how something so simple can help so much. I sit at a computer all day and am seeing my doctor next week to find out if I can start back on my exercise bike because with my new huge appetite, I'm putting on weight...

Just out of curiousity, do you happen to have any left over swelling from the surgery? I had open resection 4 months ago and the left lower side of my tummy still has a pouch-like swollen area. This bugs me because it sticks out and makes me look lopsided under my shirt. Another thing to ask the doctor I guess!

I'm glad to hear you are doing well!

Old 03-07-2008, 07:20 AM   #6
(female)

jackiem66 HB User

My Insicion Was Done Under My Belly Button Straight Down My Vagina...if Anything My Vagina Was Swollen For Awhile But The Swelling Went Down..being That I Had Already Lost 20 Pounds Before The Surgery My Stomach Area Itself Went Down A Whole Lot...thats Where I Had All My Fat...try To Keep A Good Diet..i Use To Eat Just About Anything And Everything...i Just Love All Types Of Food..i Went From 176 To 156...so Its Very Important To Watch What You Eat...once You Start Your Exercise Im Sure It Will All Fall Into Place....do Not Over Excert Yourself Just Do The Walking For Now...and Yes Always Ask Your Doctor Questions!!!!!! Having A Good Spirit Will Also Do Good!!!good Luck Always

Old 03-07-2008, 09:06 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redneon82 HB User

It's not belly fat because it's only on the left side where they did the removal of the section of colon. The right side is perfectly flat! I saw my regular doctor and she said I do not have a hernia, but that the pouch may be some fluid from the surgery. I'm just wondering how long it takes for fluid buildup from surgery to go away. It's been 4 months! I just look funny because I look lopsided. I'm not sure if doing stomach crunches is a good idea yet, or if they are even effective on post-surgery fluid build up. It's really the only thing left over from my surgery that is an issue (other than having to be a little careful about my diet).

Old 03-07-2008, 01:03 PM   #8
(female)

jackiem66 HB User

Let Time Take Its Course...do Not Exercise Yet,we Heal First On The Outside Before We Heal On The Inside...ask Your Doctor When You Can Start Exercising...i Have An Uncle Who Also Had Colon Resection Due To Diverticultis,his Insition Was On His Side Too...i Must Ask Him If He Has One Side Larger Then The Other.. I Will Let You Know..but In The Mean Time...once Again I Say To Please Take It Easy And Let Time Take Its Course!!!!

Old 03-07-2008, 01:28 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redneon82 HB User

Sorry I'm not being clear enough! My incision is not on the side, it's down the middle. The pouch is on my left side. The left side is where they removed the section of colon. To the right of the incision is perfectly flat. To the left of the incision is a tennis ball (approximately) sized pouch. Feels kinda spongy and if I push firmly it sometimes hurts. But it mostly looks funny! I've heard that these can be permanent but I'm hoping it's not!

Old 03-07-2008, 06:14 PM   #10
(female)

Marmex HB User

Hi- I had an open resection with the sigmoid colon being removed two years ago this past February. I still have the same type of swelling that you describe- it is above where the sigmoid was removed and has never gone away. It definitely has a lopsided look which I am not happy about. The right side is flatter and more normal looking. Drs. are not concerned with it and at this point I am resigned to the fact that it will probably never go away. It doesn't look very good with certain clothing and I have to try to hide it. Sometimes this isn't possible.

On the positive side- you are only 4 months post-op and yours may recede in time. Perhaps mine will, too. I don't have any answers as to what causes this- my surgeon and gastro Drs. aren't even interested enough to discuss it- they push on it and say all is "OK there !!!" I had a repeat colonoscopy 4 months post surgery due to pain and all was fine internally. I do have really bad IBS and actually am more distracted with that on a daily basis than the swelling. I can feel for you tho- whatever happened to cause an even, symmetrical abdomen to end up this way after this surgery remains a mystery. I hope your swelling will go away in time. I wish that the entire left side was as nice and flat as the area where the sigmoid was removed. I am sorry if this is really no help to you other than the fact that I can totally relate to how your abdomen looks after surgery.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:42 PM   #11
(female)

jackiem66 HB User

Hi Guys Just An Update Of How I Am Doing....ever Since I Started Eating Sun-maid Prunes And Raisins As A Snack After Every Meal I Have Been Goingto The Bathroom...today I Decided Not To Take My Stool Softners And I Have Gone At Least Four Times Today,which To Me Is A Great Thing.. I Eat At Least 12 Prunes A Day...so Try Some Along With The Raisins....sun-maid Prunes And Raisins Are The Best Brand So Far And I Have Tried Them All!!!! Good Luck Guys

Old 03-27-2008, 12:36 PM   #12
(female)

jackiem66 HB User

Eat Plenty Of Prunes And Raisins Best Brand Is Sun-maid....i Also Eat My Spinach....i Stopped Taking My Stool Softners....like I Said Eat Plenty Of Prunes With Every Meal...the Worst Thing That Could Happen Is Very Bad Gas For A Little Whilei Go At Least4 Or 5 Times A Day,maybe Even More!!!!!good Luck

Closed Thread