It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2008, 06:05 AM   #1
(male)

billfisher01 HB User
Hey Harry! Question please!

Ok, I am now officially "off" the low residue diet from my colon resection surgery...I know want to do the right thing as far as what I eat etc..I know you have ansewred this before but I was told how good fiber is, my question is Now that I am going to be adding fiber, which is the best to use? whats the difference between soluble and non-soluble fiber? can I do it in pill form? is morning a better time to take it than night? The other question has to do with balance....I certainly dont want to take anything that will bind me up so whats a good starting dose to take? Thaks for any help!

Old 02-13-2008, 07:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Hey Harry! Question please!

Billfisher,
I have had 2 1/2 feet of my colon removed because of chronic diverticular bleeding on 3/4/2002.

Soluble fiber is the type fiber that absorbs fluids and bulks up your stool. Insoluble fiber does not absorb fluids and causes your intestines to contact so you have BMs. You need a combination of both to have normal BMs along with 6 to 8 glasses of water daily and a moderate amount of exercise also daily.

I like and use psyllium seed husk-- I like it best. The Orange flavored, sugar free powder type because it mixes well with water and you know it is well dispersed. You have to stir it briskly and drink it promptly like the directions say because it begins to absorb fluid immediately. My wife has a hiatal hernia and she take the psyllium capsules that dissolves further down the gastro tract. The powder form bloats her too soon after taking it and puts pressure on her hernia causing pain. Psyllium does slow down your digestion as does all fiber type therapy and with the capsules or tablets you have to make sure you drink enough water with each dose and also daily.

I take it twice daily but with any natural fiber start off slow because it ferments during digestion and causes gas and bloating. As you use it-- your system gets use to it and the gas goes away.
Some people like Citrucel better because is a semi-synthetic type fiber that does not ferment and cause gas.
I use the Equate brand from Walmart -- it works and costs less and my wife uses the capsules from the Vitamin Shoppe that contains the largest amount of psyllium that I know of 880mgn in a cap and a little bit of acidophillus.
I get my insoluble fiber from my diet. All fruits, veggies contain mostly insoluble fiber. Also, the bran in cereals that is the outer parts of grains and the outer parts of beans & peas do not absorb fluids. As well as nuts and seeds. Also, Fibercon,a fiber supplement, is considered an insoluble fiber.

There is NO fiber in all meats, seafood and dairy products except Inulin which is chicory root --a soluble fiber supplement that is added to some yogurts, and other dairy products to add some fiber.

Soluble fiber is contained in the inner parts of all grains, beans and peas. The root veggies also absosb fluids -- veggies like potatoes, beets, carrots and turnips. I just don't eat alot of these veggies-- not daily anyway.

I have found that a water soluble fiber supplement is needed daily to balance my diet. I take about 8 grams of psyllium daily in the 2 doses and my wife takes about the same amount but that is alot of capsules to take twice daily.

I wish you well---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 02-13-2008 at 09:56 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread