It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2008, 07:33 PM   #1
(female)

cautiouscynthia HB User
Need someone with you 1st nite after colon resection?

Ok, I have a friend who'll be with me during the day of the surgery but can't stay all night & urged me to get someone who could--at least until midnight or so. Another girlfriend will stay with me from about 9 to 2 the 2nd day. I could ask my m-i-l if she could stay the 1st night until midnight or so--should I? Also, will I be ok alone on the 2nd nite? Advice/experiences appreciated.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:51 AM   #2
(male)

billfisher01 HB User
Re: Need someone with you 1st nite after colon resection?

You are going to be in the hospital the first night and the second night, My wife came to se me after my surgery but only stayed about an hour, The nurses will take good care of you, In my case it was really useless to have someone there all night anyway, I was in and out of sleep and the medication had me out of sorts, The first night you are going to want to sleep, I guess just the act of someone being there may be comforting but to be honest , at least in my case, I really didnt know the difference and all I wanted to do was sleep, You are constantly checked on by the nursing staff at the hospital.

My wife was better off at home taking care of home duties, daughter etc..

On the second day I remember I had alot of visitors come to see me...To be honest, I hated it! My wife ended up tossing them all out for me, You are in the hospital to rest and get better, the idea of people seeing me in the state I was in bugged me to know end, and it also made me feel obligated to "entertain" them while they were there when all I wanted to do was rest and sleep, I was also passing gas like crazy and the situation was embaressing, No way I was going to hold it when it had to be realeased....Anyway, You are your own person, if company helps you, thats fine, but for me especially the first night..It made know difference..Thats what the hospital staff is for and what the nurses take care of!

I have my own personal feelings on this because and its just my opinion, Visitors in the hospital are just plain annoying, they dont acopmplish any good being there, they are in the way of nurses, and they risk picking up or bringing in infections. As I walked the halls of the hospital I saw whole familys in rooms, kids and all, lying all over the beds of there sick or recoupoerating loved one, it really made me crazy! I was thinking what is wrong with this picture? The hospital is not a country club...I especially do not like to see kids in there...A few rooms acually had the signs on the outside that indicated a patient had "vRE" OR "mRSA" ETC...Its just not a good place for kids...but I am sorry , I am getting off subject here...

Bottom line is do whats right for you I guess, but if your asking if you "Need" someone there...The answer is absolutely NO, You do not

Coming home, yes, you may need the help...Rememeber to that you most likely will only be in there a few days anyway.

Last edited by billfisher01; 02-14-2008 at 05:59 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2008, 09:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redneon82 HB User
Smile Re: Need someone with you 1st nite after colon resection?

My brother stayed with me until about 8 pm the day of surgery then went home. People kept calling me & I called a few people who told me later it sounded like a "drunk dial"!. I then proceeded to pass out until the next morning and it was the best night's sleep ever since I didn't have to get up to pee (my catheter was still in). I barely woke up when the nurses came in to check on me & I wouldn't have known it if an entire football team was in my room. I needed and wanted nothing but to sleep. I got excellent care from the nurses too. I agree with Bill, if it makes you feel better to have someone there then by all means go ahead, but I did not find it necessary at all. I also agree with Bill about excessive visitors of other patients. The family members were noisy (even some of the overnight shift nurses were talking loudly and I had to close the door to my room to get rest the 2nd & 3rd nights) and it seemed like there were kids everywhere! I like my peace & quiet which is why I'm glad they sent me home after 4 days. I went to my aunt & uncle's house after being released for 3 days since I live alone with my teenage son and couldn't get around too well. After that, home alone with my son! And it was fine.

Good luck, I know you will feel much better after this is all over! I feel fantastic & I'm 3 months post surgery. I am so glad I had it done and I bet you will be glad too!

Closed Thread