It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2008, 06:19 AM   #1
(male)

billfisher01 HB User
What do you all think? My opinion on hospital visits

Unfortunatley, I have learned alot about hospitals in the last year or so. Not by choice but by being hosted by the hospital on several occasions because of diverticulitis attacks..Some observations that I made? Well, first and foremost The "Visiting" hours...I think they are way to liberal with them, I can remember being in rooms with other people whos familys had no regard to the patient in the other bed...Namely me! They would stay well past hours and getting sleep is made even worse due to the fact that they are having what I called a hospital party at there loved ones bedside...It really began to frustrate me and made me think about exactly what the role of being hospitalized is..You are there to recouparate and rest, its not a hotel...You are under strain as it is and having visitors adds to it, you feel obligated to entertain your guests by staying awake and chatting, eating in front of them, the visitors get in the way of nurses, they are looking at your cathador, you are passing gas...There is a risk of infection being brought from outside and also inside...The list goes on. I remember the nurses shaking there head and telling me how much it upset them that patients cannot get there rest.

My opinion is if it is a relatively minor problem or not going to be a very extended hospital stay...Tell everyone to stay home until you are able to visit with them at home!

My own experiance? I explicetly told all my friends etc...NOT TO COME...what happend? they did not listen and the day after surgery my room was full of people gawking at me...I felt awefull, looked awefull and it just so happened that I had just begun to pass lots of gas around that time, I also was in pain and had a cathador sticking out of me...Very embarasing, Naturally my instinc was to hold my gas?? isnt that crazy? you bet and I said the heck with it and let it fly....Eventually my wife..Thanks god, tossed them all out, I heard her in the hall way yelling at them about how they were all told several times not to come...

As I began walking the hallways, I saw in different rooms whole familys! Kids and all?? are you kidding me? they were acually on the beds of there sick loved one?? These people are there to get better!! The worst part is as I looked around I would see these red danger tags on certain rooms? I asked the nurse what they were...well it turns out some had MRSA and some Had whats called VRE...These are hospital bourne infections! Why in the world would anyone subject kids to that possibility???? May be its me but I think hospital visits should be only for adults and only for maybe one hour a day. And even at that if its going to be a short stay just use the phone...its safer for all...

I even told my mom and dad not to come as they are older and do not need any extra risk of some virus etc..My mom did come once but it was brief because I was home in a couple days anyway. Its not that I dont apreciate everyones concern for me but it just bugs me is all..Also my mother is the type who is constantly telling the nurses what they should be doing! Its meant well but can get agravating at times...I would have to say "ma, they know what there doing" Yes she loves me but still...you get the point.

The best gift I was given was that my wife and family held the fort down and let the nurses and doctors do what they do instead of holding some useless bed side vigil that served no good purpose. My daughter stayed in school and never came...I would have went crazy had she come!

Like I said, if its a terminal case or a very extended case that may be different but for most? Hospital visits in my opinion do no good for anyone

Thats my rant for the day

Last edited by billfisher01; 02-14-2008 at 06:31 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2008, 02:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redneon82 HB User
Re: What do you all think? My opinion on hospital visits

Bill, my one of my biggest issues was not visiting families (I was lucky to NEVER have had to share a room in all of the times I've been hospitalized and that's 6 times total), but the overnight shift nurses. They left my door open to my room, had all the hallway lights blasting at full illumination, and had loud, shouted conversations with each other the ENTIRE night! I had to drag myself out of bed with my IV tree and large drain in my abdomen and close the door muself because when I called for the nurse to ask her to close my door, the next time someone came in to draw blood or take my blood pressure (every 2 hours!) they left the door and curtain open again! I couldn't believe it! The other complaint I have is that I am a VRE patient (no doubt contracted during one of my hospital stays) and half the nurses, dietary staff, doctors, would either refuse to come in my room or they put on the yellow suits & masks, and the other half said it was a bunch of baloney & would march in anyway without the yellow suit! Some of the nurses made my son & M.I.L. put on the gear and some didn't. Now either this is a very dangerous contagious bacteria or it isn't. I can't believe it is sometimes and other times it is not. Whatever...my surgeon said it was a bunch of bull & walked right on in, and so did one of my nurses who was about 8 months pregnant. But really, other than that, my post-surgery nursing care was terrific, and I only had about 5 visitors & they didn't linger. I told everyone else to see me when I got home & luckily they listened.

Closed Thread