It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2008, 06:17 AM   #1
(male)

billfisher01 HB User
Fellow Colon resecties!

I am offically at the 3 week post op point today. I feel real good, just minor soreness at this point, The only other issue is bowel movements sometimes they are consistant sometimes not..But over all, I have to admit I feel almost 90% back to normal, I walk everyday now and it really feels good, I go a little further each time...Anyway, was wondering how all the others were doing at the 3 week point?

My other question, I am off the low residue diet, I was wondering how brave you all got as to eating once the restrictions were lifted? I still somehow feel I need to stay away from nuts, popcorn etc...I dont know if its pycolodgical or what or maybe I am gunshy because of all the preveous attacks...But I would like to know how you all handle eating at this point! Thanks...Bill

Old 02-15-2008, 08:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redneon82 HB User
Re: Fellow Colon resecties!

I felt pretty good at 3 weeks. It was later that I started to have problems and it took a while to figure out why...I saw my surgeon for a 1 month post op appointment and I asked him what I could eat. He said anything! So I took him at his word...big mistake. I tried to eat spicy Mexican, sushi with lots of wasabi, chili dogs...because he said I could eat anything! I ended up with a terrible burning pain at the surgery area and constipation up the yin yang. I'd advise you to ease into a regular diet. I still eat mainly fish, chicken and vegetables and avoid beef (except ground beef) and anything spicy or hot. Also, I got a bad cough about 5 weeks post surgery and boy, did that hurt! I am now a little over 3 months post-surgery, still being careful about my diet but feel great! No soreness, I can move around great. The only issue is that I still have a "pouch" on my left side at just below the belly button level and it just WON'T go away...otherwise, feeling great!

Glad to hear that you are doing well and feeling good. Isn't it great to not have to worry about attacks or infections anymore?!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2008, 09:52 AM   #3
(male)

billfisher01 HB User

Yes it does feel great...but there is still that knawing in the back of my mind that I could still have an attack! I know that will go in time..By the way, I also have myself a little pouch on the right side of my belly button just below it! Welcome to the pouch club!

Old 02-15-2008, 11:45 AM   #4
(female)

cautiouscynthia HB User

Ok, now I wonder what my belly's going to look like post-op. After my hysterectomy (13-14 years ago; done laprascopically), I had a pouch right underneath my largest incision for years & years. In fact, I just looked again now to see if it was still there. Unfortunately I can't tell because I've gained about 25 pounds since I had that surgery!

It never hurt or anything, just bothered me back in the days that I was still wearing 2 piece bathing suits.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:23 PM   #5
(male)

billfisher01 HB User

For me, its not really a big deal its a very small pouch, more the type of thing that I know its there...I guess its a very small price to pay! Anyway, my days on the beach in a thong are long over anyway! The skin must stretch a bit during surgery is all...Overall I am very happy that I had this done!

Old 02-15-2008, 01:19 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redneon82 HB User

My pouch is pretty big (about 3" x 2") and sticks out farther than the right side of the incision, so it looks funny. I'm switching to a "tankini" since my scar might scare small children if I wore a bikini. I had open surgery and have a 5" scar that is probably about a 1/4" wide and curves in a strange way and goes around my belly button. The surgeon did not do the greatest job stitching me back up since he didn't line up the bottom part of the incision very well...but all in all, having the scar and pouch is much better than the alternative (no scar or pouch but abscesses, infections, perforations, not being able to eat anything without pain, feeling sick, antibiotics that make me horribly nauseated, etc.) And the guy I'm dating is not scared of the scar at all. In fact, he sometimes goes down under my shirt to say "hello" to my scar, which if you can imagine it, is hilarious. I thought it would be much harder to come to terms with since although I am in my early 40s I am in pretty good shape for my age and still wear a size 6. But I got over it and wouldn't go back to pre-surgery scariness for anything.

Closed Thread