It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2008, 10:50 PM   #1
(female)

cautiouscynthia HB User
More Colon-Resection Related Questions

I've got a long list of errands to do this weekend in preparation for next week's colon resection. After talking with my surgeon for an hour & a half last night (boy, do I LIKE this guy!), my questions re: the surgery itself etc have been well-answered. BUT I still have a number of practical concerns such as the following:

Someone had suggested I ought to buy one of those things you put on your toilet so you don't have to go down so far, or come back up so far, when you go to the bathroom (as that obviously really used your stomach muscles). They also told me to make sure to get the ones that have the side-arms on them. You that are post-op; what do you think? Necessary or not??

What determines when they start giving you food in the hospital?

How long were you home before you felt up to getting up & making your own food?

One question I forgot to ask the dr. but I think may have been answered before: when could you start using stairs & how often a day? (We have a LOT of stairs in our house).

Thank you, thank you...I feel like you all are my 'support group!'

Old 02-16-2008, 05:04 AM   #2
(male)

billfisher01 HB User
Re: More Colon-Resection Related Questions

You will be able to get up around and make food for yourself right away...Like was said before, you do not want to stay in bed for days on end, the faster you start walking etc..the faster your recovery...You will be able to climb those stairs in your house right away!

The one thing I dont think you have said is if you are having this done Laproscopic or open?

Anyway, in the hospital they will not give you food until you pass gas..Once you do you will get some...They will then let you go home after a BM.

I Think you are going to find that all this stuff is just going to work out nicely and its not going to be anywhere near the nightmare you think it will.As I have said in posts before, we had everything lined up for the crisis that was to be! And never needed any of it!

I wish you well! You will be happy in the end!

Last edited by billfisher01; 02-16-2008 at 05:06 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2008, 09:48 AM   #3
(female)

cautiouscynthia HB User

Thank you so much Bill. You're my inspiration right now.

Surgeon's hoping to do it laparoscopically but always adds that he might have to do it open. Really depends what he finds when he goes inside. I have a couple other internal problems I'm dealing with & it's unsure at this point if there might be a number of adhesions, accumulation of scar tissue, etc.

Also, my 1st diverticulitis bout was limited to sigmoid & junction but 3rd (& worse bout) indicated infection up near the transverse colon. All catscans have indicated my colon is full of diverticula all over. So it really depends upon how much colon he has to remove and what else he finds going on.

Are there any good low-residual foods that you were happy you stocked up on to have at home when you got out of the hospital? Reason I'm planning ahead for this is my husband isn't the greatest food shopper & he and I have vastly different tastes so I'd like to get a bunch of stuff ahead of time.

Thanks!
Cynthia

Old 02-16-2008, 11:46 AM   #4
(male)

billfisher01 HB User

Well, I ate stuff like pancakes, waffles,etc...Tunafish sandwiches, drank lots of juice and water, Roast beef, The easiest way to do it is try to think of anything without heavy fiber in in...I did not exactly play by the rules however and was fine, I ate apples, pears, pizza grilled cheese etc and I was fine. My diet now 3 weeks later is back to normal...Just remember to take your colace everyday...My surgeon is conservative but I know that many do not even tell there patients to use a low residue diet anymore...You are going to be fine my friend! I promise!

Ands when you post here after its over you can help someone else get past it! Just remember the first day or two is no picnic, you will be sore...so be ready...The worst for me was the incredible gas pains I had but that was gone after the second day...What helps that is to get out of bed and walk the halls as soon as you are able! And remember, since you said narcotics do not agree with you, mention to the surgeon that you new someone who did well with Torodol...That stuff worked great for me anyway! Hang in there!

Bill

Old 02-16-2008, 12:48 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

cynthia......

I didn't find it necessary to have a raised toilet seat after my re-section....I really don't think it will be necessary. The biggest challenge is getting up out of a bed without anything to hold onto or pull yourself up with.

I camped out on my recliner for a week or so afterward....

My surgeon also said he would start out laparascopically but switch to open if necessary. I have had two open abdominal surgeries and he was concerned about adhesions. However, he was able to to the lap procedure. I don't think it matters how much of the colon they will be removing that will determine whether or not they switch to open. I had a foot of mine removed. Other factors such as the colon adhering to other organs, severe adhesions, etc. would complicate matters and require them to convert.
In fact, my surgeon inserted one of his instruments through an incision that I've had since I've been 6 years old (am now 60). It was thick and ugly...and he poked thru with no problem!

As for foods, I was a little slow in passing gas....so didn't have any soft foods (pudding, sherbert, creamed soups, etc.) until my 3rd day post op. Finally had a bm by the 5th day (if you could call it that). I was told to maintain the soft diet for 4 more days, then switch to a "normal" diet.....ie: anything as long as it was on the soft side and chewed well.....meatloaf, pastas, egg salad, tuna salad. Nothing "scratchy"...like hard tacos, etc. I, too, couldn't wait to have some pizza! Remember...lots of healing going on inside where the colon was re-connected.....regardless of the surgical approach! They wait until the colon "wakes up"....bowel sounds, passing gas, etc. to gauge giving you something other than liquids.

I, too, have lots of stairs. No problem! I was up and down doing laundry my second day home from the hospital. I live alone, so really don't have a choice!

You'll do fine.

Good luck,
Linda

Old 02-16-2008, 11:20 PM   #6
(female)

cautiouscynthia HB User

Thank you all, again! You're great. I'm sure I'll keep checking in here before my surgery. But also, as soon as I am able to, post-surgery, I'll write a "trip report" of sorts about it, as you suggested Bill, to help others. Cause yours sure helped me.

Which actually brings up another question (I know, I'm an endless fount of them!) Is it worth it to have your laptop at the hospital? I was thinking I'd be too uncomfortable & out of it the 1st couple days and too tired the remaining ones until I came home. Right, or wrong, thinking?

Old 02-17-2008, 07:22 AM   #7
(female)

MrsQueeZ HB User

For getting up and out of bed, my hubby attached a towing strap to the foot of the bed. When I needed to get upright, I just used my arms to pull away! I only needed that help for a few days, but it was a big help! I am not much of a recliner sleeper. And I slept on my side/belly, from the hospital bed on!

Old 02-17-2008, 09:00 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

Great idea MrsQueez.....having a pully to help get up!

I guess I got used to sleeping on my back after having both hips replaced...the recliner was a lifesaver for me.

To Cynthia.....I wanted to take my laptop but, alas, no wifi service on the floor! There was service in other parts of the hospital, but not where I stayed. I'd say have someone bring it in if you have service and feel up to it after a couple of days. It does get boring....only so much silly tv to watch!
More importantly, spend as much time as you can walking around the halls! Helps so much in the recovery......

Linda

Closed Thread