It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2008, 04:35 PM   #1
(male)

billfisher01 HB User
Some help with Diet please-Post resection!

Ok, Ok, I am now off the "low residue" Diet...I am dying to eat a tomato! My mind keeps telling me to stay away from seeds of all types , its a hard habit to break...Anyway, I need to move forward now and realize that my problem has been taken care of , right?? I am dying to have a nice salad with everything on it..The roughage should be good for me I would think. What have you all done, when did you begin to test the waters? when did you free your mind of those attacks and take a chance and eat fairly normal again? I say thses things because I know its good to have things like salad etc..I am still eating the low residue type stuff as if I still have divertic..I need some encouragement , I cant beleve I am making so much about eating tomatoes

But it really is a big step for me to eat anything with a seed in it right now...I am sure also once I introduce that stuff to my diest that I will feel better overall , Thew big test will come this summer! My favorite thing in the world is corn on the cob! I have not had that the past two summers! I am hoping I can have it this coming summer!! yahoo ! I am a commercial fisherman and there is nothing like Lobster with corn on the cob!

Anyway tell me your eating stories after your re-section! Thanks ...Bill

Old 02-21-2008, 08:07 AM   #2
(female)

jenlynn HB User
Wink Re: Some help with Diet please-Post resection!

Bill-

Well I've cheated a bit since my surgery on 1/3. I have had Thai (mild though), Indian, Sushi, salads,...and for the most part I've done very well. My problem is when I get hungry and don't have tons of time to eat, I do the scarf-it-down thing-BAD! Chewing more thoroughly and slower might help. I have found that peanut butter (creamy) is o.k. but I'm going to forever stay away from whole nuts (don't seem to be digesting them).

The whole diet is still a mystery to me. I was told by the gal who discharged be from the hospital and it was even on the discharge papers that I had NO restrictions w/foods. When I went to my 2 week follow-up to get the staples out, my surgeon then tells me I should still be eating low-residue-this would be my last week of it today. Well-that obviously screwed everything up. I pretty much have been eating things that I can tolerate-which is mostly everything it seems. I just have to work on eating healthy again-it's been a long time (being on and off the Low-Residue "Wonderbread Diet").

Good news-today I worked out for the 1st time!!!! No heavy lifting though still. Just did Cardio.

Are you still having pain @ your site??? Mine pretty much comes and goes still. Tender to the touch right now even (dull feeling though). Also, constipation is still an issue-Colace 2x daily and every other day good ol' Phillips Milk of Magnesia (UCK).

Glad all has gone well!
Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2008, 10:11 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redneon82 HB User
Re: Some help with Diet please-Post resection!

Bill, I responded to a similar question on your previous post (fellow colon-resecties). I won't repeat here but I have eaten burgers with sesame seed buns, eggplant, polish sandwiches and patty melts on rye bread, etc. Now this sounds gross but I bet we all do it...I check my "output" to look for any problems and there the seeds are, all nice & sent through. Anyway, the whole "seeds cause diverticulitis" thing has been shown to be a myth...there has not been a single case of diverticulitis that can be proven to be caused by a seed. I did avoid them along with alot of other foods prior to my surgery just to be safe, but now I don't bother, and I have not had an attack even though I was told I had diverticuli all throughout my colon. So go ahead, have that salad and the corn on the cob (and send me a lobster while you're at it! Yum!).

Old 02-21-2008, 01:47 PM   #4
(male)

billfisher01 HB User

Ya, sorry to belabor the point...The heck with it.....As far as I am concerned this will not be an issue anymore, I had surgery and the problem should now be over! I am going to eat like a normal human being!

As for the question about pain, It is all but gone, I dont feel much of anything anymore!

Old 03-03-2008, 06:42 AM   #5
(female)

curley207 HB User

Hi Bill. Like you, I have been on a low residue diet since my resection 4 weeks ago. I now have the go-ahead to start adding fiber, but not much info on the method. I was told to slowly add fiber - one item at a time to make sure it is tolerated. So I've decided to start with a small apple - I have craved fresh fruit so much. Then I'll add a small salad in a few days, followed by others, every few days.

It amazes me how different doctors treat diet. Mine, and yours, seem to be very cautious, while others don't seem to worry so much.

I'm hoping to be eating my normal high fiber diet by the end of March. My doctor seemed to emphasize slowly getting back to normal and if that will be what it takes to be safe, then I can be patient.

Good luck, Doris

Closed Thread