It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2008, 11:46 AM   #1
(female)

gizz HB User
Hemorrhoidectomy aftercare questions

OK I am beginning to feel like there might be hope, but still have questions that make me feel kinda stupid to ask. So I hope you will all be patient with me I think I have been posting in the wrong thread or something. I have been talking to a couple of great people in the hemorrhoidectomy recovery guide page 1. Which is kinda like the "Golden Rule" of hemorrhoidectomy. I am not sure if I was posting in the right place so I am gonna try this.

You will have to excuse me but I have just been "torn a new one" and am on drugs.
I have read TacomaGuy's guide several times and am so grateful for the information. My pertinent hemorrhoidectomy question is how much activity is OK? I have been trying to get be more active. I haven't got any real answers from my Dr. other than "whatever I am comfortable with" I had 3 external and several internal hemorrhoids removed. Which the Dr. did tell my husband were very very bad grade 4. I am trying to be careful and take lots of warm baths and watch my diet, fiber ect. So now what about activities? I don't want to do to much, I feel tired most of the time due to another medical condition. But I want to try, What about climbing up and down the stairs, doing laundry. etc.?
It seems to really bother me when I am bending over and getting things out of the dryer to fold etc.
As I mentioned I have been doing the bath soaks several times a day and using nupercainal cream, witch hazel "tucks" to clean up with. but I have a hard time when I try to get back into the regular routine. Maybe I am having a off day or something but right now I feel like a lazy bum.
My surgery was Feb 8 Th.
I am grateful for any input
thanks..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2008, 12:05 PM   #2
(female)

netters HB User
Re: Hemorrhoidectomy aftercare questions

I had surgery for 1 internal and 3 external and I couldn't move for weeks. The doctor said I'd be fine in a "few days". I'm still not 100% and my surgery was in early Nov. Just take it easy and relax. Don't do too much.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:02 PM   #3
(female)

gizz HB User

Thanks, I want to follow the rules, but my Dr. gave me a very short 1 page post-op instruction sheet. It gave me no advice as to activities other than not lifting over 10 lbs. Actually it contained only 13 sentances. So I have nothing from her to gauge my activities from. I was really suprised that I got nothing to take home with me after the surgery.
I am very thankful for the information I have found on Tacomaguys guide, and other posts here. I dont know what I would have done otherwise.
Thanks alot I appreciate it.
I am also taking a informal survey about a idea I had. What about occasionally using "butt monster" as a metaphor for the classic BM term?

Old 02-22-2008, 02:51 PM   #4
(female)

netters HB User

I got the same thing almost no advice (I did use a board certified colo-rectal surgeon). I didn't realize how long or painful this surgery would be. I only took off three days of work at the time...since I was told "I'd be fine in a few days". Needless to say I had to go on short term disability for a month. Went back to work in Dec. I'm still not 100% and feel like I'm tending to the area more than before...it's still delicate so I use wipes instead of toilet paper, I'm still dealing with getting my diet right so not constipated or diareha (can't spell it). I have skin tags that are still tender and such. I ordered a portable bidet sprayer to help (one of my drs. told me about it).

Since I can't turn back the hands of time I have to deal with it. It takes a long time to heal since it's an area that's in use. Remember it's major surgery and taking things one step at a time is the best bet. Getting your food right as well as healing is all you should concentrate on.

Good luck!

Netters

Old 02-23-2008, 08:21 AM   #5
(female)

gizz HB User

Thanks I was careful to get a board certified dr as well. I knew that the recovery could be a rather long one, but I was stunned that I got such little post-op info. My diet instructions were "resume soft diet after surgery, advance diet to regular as tolerated. Increase fiber." That was it period. I am so grateful for the info that I have found here. It has saved my butt...

Closed Thread