It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2008, 06:39 AM   #1
(female)

kathy10 HB User
Alternative testing for bowels

Hi,

I am a 45 year old female with a history of IBS. Approximately five years ago after experiencing some change in bowel habit and bleeding it was discovered that I had internal hemorroids and prescribed antibiotic suppositories as they try to avoid surgically removing hemorroids to avoid additional scar tissue.

In recent months the bleeding has become more severe, not just on tissue, actually dripping in the toilet when passing gas or having a bowel movement. It is always necessary to wear protection for fear of bleeding. I also have a dull and sometimes agonizing pain in the right lower abdomen. My bowel movements have become very loose and always have a sensation of fullness and pressure on the anus. Not previously susceptible to nausea, I find myself continuously nauseaus and often cringe at the sight of foods I once enjoyed. I have lost 15lbs in 2 months and am always in discomfort and very fatigued. Although bowel cancer itself is not present in our family, there is a history of polyps and other cancers.

An attempt was made to do a colonoscopy to discover the problem. After receiving the highest dosages available; the colonoscopy was stopped as I was screaming in agony. Unfortunately they had only been able to view the bowel on the left side with no discoveries. It was indicated to me by my physican that some people's tolerances vary. I was devesatated! To suggest that I was 'wimpish' in pain tolerance was very far from the truth. I am not quite sure why the meds didn't work, I was able to complete this test 10 years previously with no complications. I am now scheduled to do a double contrast barium enema. I have to refuse this test. When the same test was done 10 years previous the pain was extreme and I recall it clearly. I am assuming that the pressure of the gas in the abdomen for some reason is more than I can bare.

I am at my whits' end. Does anyone know of any alternative testing that can be done to find a diagnosis without the use of gas or invasion of the anus?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2008, 04:59 AM   #2
(female)

jo237 HB User
Re: Alternative testing for bowels

Hi Kathy,
I was really interested in your post and would be grateful also to learn of any other bowel testing available. I was admitted to hospital due to pain and a mass in my colon, discovered to be a fecal impaction. My question was that many previous operations had caused the narrowing of the colon hence the impaction and thought that was the reason. I refused a barium enema on three occasions and said that until they know the barium etc wouldnt cause any further problems I was unhappy about them doing it as it is so invasive. I asked in I could pay and have a CT scan not on the NHS and they said this wouldnt show anything up so like yourself I am waiting to see what other investigation can take place.
Take care and hope you find a solution.
Jo

Closed Thread