It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2008, 12:42 PM   #1
(female)

2000airedale HB User
bowel resection post-op instructions?

Does anyone know of a good online or other source for post-op instructions after a bowel resection? My 40-year-old husband has to have his sigmoid colon removed after recurrent diverticulitis attacks. After his second to last episode, he went back to eating solids too quickly and wound up in the hospital the following week. This particular hospital is not very good about giving written post-op instructions, but the surgeon is supposed to be very good. I would like to be as prepared as possible about what my husband can and can't do, eat, drink, etc. Thanks!

Cynthia

Last edited by 2000airedale; 02-26-2008 at 12:43 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2008, 01:26 PM   #2
(male)

billfisher01 HB User
Re: bowel resection post-op instructions?

Well, if you asked me, you have landed in the perfect place! this is the place! There are more than enough veteran colon resecties here to give you great advice!

I like your husband and about the same age, have also had re-section, 4 weeks ago..I am doing great now! I also had lots of attacks and made the decsion to fix it!

My doctor told me simply to stay on a low residue diet for a couple weeks, to walk as much as I could or felt up to, and to not lift anything over 10lbs...Thats really about it? Others may mention more but for me that was about it as far as post op instructions!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2008, 02:19 PM   #3
(female)

bocmember01 HB User

That's right. Low residue foods and I ate small portions more frequently rather than three main meals. Walked around a lot too.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:32 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

Hi.....

Ditto to the others. I was told to stay on soft foods....puddings, creamed soups, mashed potatoes, oatmeal, cream of wheat, etc., etc. for at least a week. Then, I could eat anything I wanted....as long it was on the soft side - ie: no hard shelled tacos, etc. A lot of common sense comes into play here. I stuck with meats like fish, burgers (chewed well), chicken, tuna, meatloaf, spaghetti, all sorts of pastas. Normal lunches...sandwiches, etc.
I would steer clear of anything that is hard to digest. Instead of wolfing my food down and eating quickly, I ate slowly and chewed everything thoroughly....especially the pizza, which I couldn't wait to have!!!

Was told to introduce fiber very slowly.

Just be sure you or your husband checks with the surgeon before discharge....

Best of luck,
Linda

Old 02-26-2008, 03:13 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

lady287 HB User

Tomorrow is 12 weeks since my resection... and I am still trying to figure out what to eat!! I have several days where I feel like I felt pre-surgery, and then I'll have pain and burning for several days. It almost feels like something is kinked and I have to walk hunched over. It hurts to cough or sneeze. I developed a large hematoma after the surgery that is still there. So I don't know if it's the hematoma mass that is giving me trouble or something with my colon. At one point, I thought I was having more diverticultis attacks, but now I am not so sure. I've been keeping track of what I eat/drink to see if I can find out the culprit. I have discovered that carbonated beverages don't work out at all, and that I definitely feel better with drinking lots of water. I also found out that most fiber foods (beans, lettuce, brocolli, etc.) gave me problems at the beginning. I agree with the others -- eat smaller portions! I did go back to my surgeon last week, and he scheduled me for another CT scan. But now I am feeling better again! But at least they will be able to see if the hematoma is pressing on something....

Old 02-26-2008, 03:27 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

Hi Lady.....

Gee....so sorry you're still having some problems. My guess is that the hematoma is causing you some grief. Altho, it hurt for me to cough for weeks. The abdominal muscles take a beating and we don't even realize it until we have some sort of surgery there.

I have been really hesitant to eat a nice, big salad. I've had small, dinner sized ones since my surgery (last Aug.), but I pigged out last night....made a HUGE one....with lettuce, carrots, cukes, shredded cheese, croutons and chicken. Tasted wonderful going down....but oh my. Boy....never again. Within an hour, I was in the loo.....and then in and out all night!

It had to be all the raw veggies... even though I'm 7 months post-op. I've been told it takes a good year for everything to get back to normal inside....whatever "normal" is.

Good luck to you,
Linda

Old 02-26-2008, 07:05 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redneon82 HB User

I guess everyone is different, right? I only have trouble with spicy or hot foods. I have gone to Soup Plantation several times since my surgery and felt fine! In fact I found that the extra roughage helped things along for me. I eat lots of spinach, mini-wheats, sunflower seeds, broccoli, etc. My surgeon told me when I went home that I could eat ANYTHING I WANTED and he was wrong...but I figured it out on my own. In fact I'm going to Soup Plantation tonight & can't wait! I would advise mild foods at first, lots and lots of water, move slowly, no lifting and sleep on your back. Keep your incisions clean with warm water and I kept mine covered for the first few weeks to avoid irritation from clothing. Then slowly introduce more foods like ground meats, fish, chicken and probably stay away from heavy cheeses and red meats except ground meat. I have not yet had the prime rib I've been craving. Maybe in a couple of months...

Good luck to your husband!

Old 02-27-2008, 08:31 AM   #8
(female)

2000airedale HB User

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

Closed Thread