It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2008, 03:23 PM   #1
(female)

jackiem66 HB User
sigmoid resection

On 2-8-2007 I Had A Colon Resection(sigmoid)ever Since The Surgery I Have Been Constipated,im Doing The Stool Softner,the Benefiber, The Green Tea,prune Juice...i Constantly Have The Urge To Go And When I Go And Sit Down Only 3 To 5 Pieces Of Stool Will Come Out....the Size Is No Bigger Then My Pointer Finger And I Always Feel Full...i Do Go At Least Six Or Seven Times A Day But In Small Amounts...what Else Can I Do ? After The Surgery I Had An Xray And Everything Seem Fine..the More I Walk The More The Urge...but It Also Seems That The Need Is More When I Do Walk Which Sometimes Even Though The Stools Are Small Sometimes I Feel I Ha D A Good Bowel Movement..at The End Still Constipated,,what Can I Do

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redneon82 HB User
Re: sigmoid resection

Are you drinking enough water? And I mean water, not fruit juice, cokes (or Diet Cokes) or any other beverage. Water is extremely important to avoid constipation. What kind of diet are you on? Are you on a soft, bland diet or are you eating more regular foods? Do you eat fast foods? High sodium can contribute to dehydration which in turn contributes to constipation. Any alcohol? I have found that the best way to avoid constipation is to drink 64 ounces or more of water a day, very little caffeine (I don't drink coffee or any carbonated beverages), avoid rice and cheese (stops me up) and have some good fiber like a bowl of mini-wheats, some spinach or broccoli, sunflower seeds, soybeans, a nice salad, etc. Spinach really clears me out for some reason. I too sometimes have hard narrow stools which causes irritation to hemorrhoids, but I can usually get back on track with lots of water & fibery foods. Hope some of this helps you, constipation is miserable!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2008, 06:38 AM   #3
(female)

nanciepants HB User

Hi Jackie~~ I've been reading these boards for a few months now, but your question prompted me to finallly register. I had my bowel resection exactly 3 weeks ago today, and am having the exact same symptoms as you. I seem to at least have 5, 6, or 7 BMs a day, but I feel like I'm going in "dribs and drabs"....small "poop pellets" as I like to call them. I kind of feel a little constipated too, as I never feel like I've completely voided. I've been slowly adding fiber since week one and am hoping that as soon as my diet is completely back to normal, that my bowels will also return to normal. At any rate, I hope it helps for you to know that someone else is experiencing the same thing. Perhaps this is normal after bowel resections. Good luck with your recovery!

Old 03-04-2008, 01:41 PM   #4
(male)

Richard62 HB User

Hello,
I have had diverticulosis/diverticlulitis for probably 35 years and dealt will constipation all my life. About 2 years ago, I had my last severe bout of diverticulitis, wound up in the hospital and a perforation of my bowel. They immediately took me into surgery for a bowel resection and removed about 18 inches and added a colostomy. After 4 months, I had it reversed and removed another 8 or so inches of bowel. The surgeon afterwards said that I would never have the constipation problems, but I have continued with constipation problem. What I have found that has taken care of the problem for me is two fold. 1.) I drink 3 heaping teaspoons of Metamucil every morning with 3 full glasses of water and 2.) For breakfast every morning I eat approx.a cup or so of Kelloggs All Bran Buds too. I believe they are the same kind of fiber and I guess that is the type of fiber that my body responds to and the combination of both work well for me. I also try to eat other high fiber foods too. Healthy Choice bread makes a 7 grain bread that has 3 grams of bifer per slice is what I use. I am sure that all my problems have been caused by my life-long constipation. I am so thankful to have finally found my solution. I had some problems during the time I had the colostomy and while in the hospital with the reverse, I got a staff infection that was worse than the surgery. I now have a hernia where the colostomy was and don't know when or if I should have it repaired. I hope that my reply to your constipation problem will help and others as well.

Closed Thread