It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2008, 07:40 PM   #1
(female)

bowelblues HB User
Newly dx with IBS

I have been having diarrhea for the last 6-9 months alternating with constipation and a definite sense of urgency. (have not made it to the bathroom a couple of times ) I finally broke down and went to see my doctor as this is having a huge impact on my life. I am afraid to go anywhere that I will not have immediate access to a bathroom. So I saw my Dr. today and she feels I have IBS. She told be to cut the following things out of my diet; chocolate, caffeine, fatty foods, and dairy. With the exception of chocolate I eliminated all the other foods about 4 months ago with out noting much of a change. She also told me to start taking fiber supplements. I have to go back in a month and if things have not improved she is going to start me on an antidepressant. I am struggling with the idea of taking an anti-depressant when I am not depressed. Has anyone found this to be helpful for IBS? And what about the fiber supplements have you found that to be helpful? I despirately want to get this under control as it is taking over my life.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User
Re: Newly dx with IBS

I know fiber helped my DH with the type problem you're having. He eats Ezekiel cereal every a.m. & says he is now normal. Start with small amt & see how you feel. I can't eat it because it makes my constipation worse so it seems reasonable it would stop diarrhea. I don't have any experience with AD but I've read that they are used for IBS. I'd try the fiber first & stop eating choc. I have abdominal pain everytime I eat choc or peanut butter. Of course, everyones different. Just my opinion. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2008, 08:14 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

morrisun HB User

Have you had any tests done?? I was told I had IBS (with little to no testing) for over 10 years and it turned out I had Celiac Disease.
PCOS

Old 03-08-2008, 09:35 AM   #4
(female)

bowelblues HB User

They are in the process of doing some blood work and stool samples and if the fiber supplements do not work they will start my on the anti-depressants and then if that does not work I will be referred to a speacilist where I am sure more testing will be done.
I have eliminated chocolate that is going to be the hardest thing to give up. And overall I have over the past 4-5 months limited the other food categories so my only hope of not going on the antidepressants is that the fiber supplements work.
Thanks for the replies.

Closed Thread