It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2008, 04:06 PM   #1
(female)

sara1975 HB User
is this diverticular?

Hi Ive been having strange pains since the 8th of Feb.
it started as a kind of trapped wind feeling or a stitch in my left side under my ribs, Ive had it before and if i push on it it goes away but this time it didn't.
then the next day i had pain in my lower right side by my hip, felt like pulling, very deep pain.
then it moved to my left side but the pain wasn't as bad.
for the last week the pain is on the left side near my belly button, first it feels like something is pushing against my tummy then it feels like something inside is being pulled inwards.
i also get the pain in my lower back.
i get very bloated after eating, have trapped wind a lot and get constipated.
the pain quite often comes on after eating.
i have been told in the past by a doctor i have a lot of stomach acid which i was given treatment for but I'm now wondering if there's more to this as the pain i have near my belly button comes on normally the same time as the pain in my stomach which is just meant to be to much acid.
the pain isn't always there, it comes and goes, i first thought it was woman troubles but its not.
Ive done a bit of reading about diverticular and i do seem to have a lot of the symptoms could anyone tell me how they find out if it is diverticular?
and what this involves please?
i just know I'm not gonna like it am i?
i haven't seen a doctor about it yet as id like to prepare my self first.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2008, 07:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redneon82 HB User
Re: is this diverticular?

Hi there,

Only a doctor can say for sure what your issues are. To me it sounds more like Irritable Bowel since you notice it right after eating. Diverticulitis is more of a sudden onset pain that is related to what you eat, but doesn't usually follow a meal. Also, every case I've read about except for one has been extreme lower left quadrant pain (kind of between your private area and your left leg). Mine felt like someone had kicked me hard in that area and the pain radiated upward to belly button area but only after feeling the initial pain down lower.

I first was hospitalized because literally, I could not stand upright or walk without horrible pain. Couldn't turn over in bed either. They did a CT scan (not bad at all except for when they inject the dye and that's only for a few seconds). I also had a colonoscopy and endoscopy (looking from both ends) and the bowel prep was unpleasant but not painful and I liked the idea of being really cleaned out. And I was out for the test, so no pain from that. The tests all in all were not bad. I eventually had an open bowel resection and that was 4 months ago. No more sick feeling and no more attacks!

I also have IBS and that is definitely aggravated by what I eat. That consists more of diarrhea and constipation alternating. I control it to some extent by eating plenty of fibery foods, drinking as much water as I can get down and avoiding spicy, hot foods. IBS gives me a lot of gas too which can get more painful than one might imagine until I am able to pass it.

I hope some of this info helps. Good luck at the doctor's and hope a plan of action can be put into place!

Closed Thread