It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2008, 05:51 AM   #1
(female)

tab56 HB User
Post-op Bowel Resection Surgery

Hi All - I am new here and the website has been a "comfort" before and after my surgery. I had 14 inches removed from the distal sigmoid colon due to chronic diverticulitis, Crohn's/colitis, and scar tissue. My surgery was March 03, 2008. I did not have my first BM until 7 days post-op and it was not diarrhea or watery as I was told it would be. Also, yesterday and this morning there is quite a bit of discomfort when urinating and I was curious if anyone else has had this problem. It does not feel like a UTI, it feels more like possibly a contraction that affects the vagina also but it is very uncomfortable and the majority of the discomfort seems to be located over the bladder. There is no trouble urinating, just painful towards the end. I plan on calling my surgeon since I do have IBD and need to make sure nothing is flaring up in that area. Anyone facing the surgery should not be too apprehensive. Go in with postiive thoughts and optimism. My experience was nothing like I had feared and it has been far easier to deal with than I ever expected. I was in the hospital from Mon-Fri (came home Fri. evening). If I can help anyone with any of their questions, I will certainly be happy to answer to the best of my ability. Thanks to all of you who have gone before me to help ease my fears!

Old 03-11-2008, 09:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redneon82 HB User
Re: Post-op Bowel Resection Surgery

For a few weeks after my surgery (Nov. 5th, open resection) I would have pain after urinating, almost like menstrual cramps, which would fade away after a while. I assumed this was because I was so sore in the surgery area, and my bladder would fill up, pushing against the sore area. This eventually went away. I sometimes have aching in the surgery area after a bowel movement still, but it also fades away after a while. I think this is normal because of the trama to the area that was cut open, moved aside, etc. Plus everything that is traumatized needs to learn to function normally again. I don't think you have anything to worry about at this point since it is so soon after surgery.

Isn't it a relief to have that sick feeling gone, and to know that after your recovery your quality of life will be so much better! I feel fantastic as long as I avoid spicy or hot foods and drink plenty of water. My energy level is great and my appetite is huge! I never liked to eat before because I was so scared that something would harm me, but I'm making up for it now! Enjoy your new life!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2008, 07:40 PM   #3
(female)

peacefrog HB User

I also had and continue to have (a year later) occasional cramp-like pain when urinating. I think its from the lack of muscle tone after two abdominal surgeries.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:35 AM   #4
(female)

tab56 HB User

Thank you both for the reply. I go tomorrow to get the staples removed. I called my surgeon earlier in the week to inquire about the discomfort and was told that he did quite a bit of "work" located behind the bladder and the area was certainly traumatized. It is still uncomfortable when I urinate but hopefully this will dissipate with time. I am still somewhat at a loss as to what I should or should not eat. I really haven't had much of an appetite and some days will have queasiness but not full blown nausea. I was told to eat anything I wanted but that just does not seem like good common sense. How long was it before your energy level was pretty much back to normal? I feel that I am doing extremely well but of course I still tire easily. I would guess it probably takes a good month or so. Luckily I am not in a situation where I need to worry about returning to work since I am presently not employed. All in all, at this point in time I am so thankful I had the surgery. I had put it off for two years, even under the advice of two doctors that it needed to be done. Looking back now, it would have been so much better for me physically and mentally than dealing with all the infections and massive amounts of antibiotics that I consumed. I hope that you are both doing well and thank you for the words of encouragement!

Old 03-13-2008, 10:38 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redneon82 HB User

I would say a month to back to normal is extremely optimistic. I didn't get my energy level back until about 3 months post-surgery, and was able to start lifting things and be more active about 2 weeks ago (4 months post). Remember that even if you had the laser surgery, that's just the outside you are seeing. The inside had to endure much more trauma than what it looks like from the outside. That's the part that will need a lot more time to recover. And pushing it is definitely not a good idea!

I understand, I too was very impatient and couldn't understand why I'd need more than a couple of weeks to recover, but some others on this site reminded me that it is a major surgery and that rushing to get back to "normal" is just going to cause more problems.

As far as diet, my surgeon too told me that I could eat "anything". Not true. I tried spicy foods and hot foods and was miserable. I'm still avoiding them, and I have not yet tried red meat other than ground meat. Your colon is still healing and learning to function properly and you don't want to "over work" it. Try a small amount of something you have been craving and make sure to drink lots of water with it. If all goes well, then continue on to the next thing.

It sounds like you are recovering normally. That's a good thing! Hope all continues to go well.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:14 PM   #6
(female)

tab56 HB User

Hi All - I have been reading over some of the posts and have a couple more questions. I had my staples removed on the 14th of this month so that makes me almost two weeks post-op. My surgery was 03-03-08. My surgery was a hand assisted laparoscopic surgery so I have one long incision from the belly button down toward the pubic area, one small incision under that, and another incision over the rip hip bone. I am still having a lot of discomfort when urinating and also when I sit down on the sofa, or upon getting up, there is an uncomfortable feeling in the rectum and bladder area. The surgeon did tell me I had scar tissue that had attached to the pelvic wall on the left and also to the back of the bladder which had to be removed. I have extensive brusing that extends down into the pelvic area around the pubis. The incision on the right, which was a "portal" for the laparoscope is very uncomfortable and this side sticks out much more so than the left side and that is the side where the colon was removed. I know everyone is different and I am just two weeks post-op but I am curious if anyone else had this discomfort and for what length of time before I feel the need to consult my surgeon; it is not getting any less in intensity. I actually dread going to the bathroom. I appreciate the recommendation about the spinach because I too am having problems with constipation and will certainly give this a try. I drink a lot of water, no sodas, an occasional glass of tea, but nothing seems to help. I did drink a glass of OJ with extra pulp last night and added some prune juice and that seemed to help a little bit this morning. I also realize that one month was extremely optimistic in relation to recovery. I am already so bored with everything but your body has a way of letting you know when you have pushed too hard. Spring is right around the corner and so much needs to be done!! Thanks to all for your recent posts!

Old 09-01-2008, 09:07 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

V_dubgurl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tab56 View Post
Hi All - I have been reading over some of the posts and have a couple more questions. I had my staples removed on the 14th of this month so that makes me almost two weeks post-op. My surgery was 03-03-08. My surgery was a hand assisted laparoscopic surgery so I have one long incision from the belly button down toward the pubic area, one small incision under that, and another incision over the rip hip bone. I am still having a lot of discomfort when urinating and also when I sit down on the sofa, or upon getting up, there is an uncomfortable feeling in the rectum and bladder area. The surgeon did tell me I had scar tissue that had attached to the pelvic wall on the left and also to the back of the bladder which had to be removed. I have extensive brusing that extends down into the pelvic area around the pubis. The incision on the right, which was a "portal" for the laparoscope is very uncomfortable and this side sticks out much more so than the left side and that is the side where the colon was removed. I know everyone is different and I am just two weeks post-op but I am curious if anyone else had this discomfort and for what length of time before I feel the need to consult my surgeon; it is not getting any less in intensity. I actually dread going to the bathroom. I appreciate the recommendation about the spinach because I too am having problems with constipation and will certainly give this a try. I drink a lot of water, no sodas, an occasional glass of tea, but nothing seems to help. I did drink a glass of OJ with extra pulp last night and added some prune juice and that seemed to help a little bit this morning. I also realize that one month was extremely optimistic in relation to recovery. I am already so bored with everything but your body has a way of letting you know when you have pushed too hard. Spring is right around the corner and so much needs to be done!! Thanks to all for your recent posts!
I am almost 2 weeks post op, and am having the same pains as you. Just wondering how you made out with everything. I'm in the same boat as you. Exept I have a 2 month old to take care of, and am finding it soo hard with the pain.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:01 PM   #8
(male)

coolied HB User

I am a male, but had similar pains following my bowel resection/colostomy (for ruptured diverticulitis) and subsequent reversal surgery, in was more of a general soreness than the burning pain of a UTI. So I asked my surgeon about it, and it was due to a) internal bruising from cathaterization during the operation, and b) bruising of the bladder due to it's being handled during the surgery. Appearantly during surgery everything is sort of moved out of place and they but it all back where it belongs when they're done operating.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:47 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

V_dubgurl HB User

Thanks Coolid: I had my follow up today with the doc and also got my staples removed. He basically said the same thing. I just can't wait until all these pains go away. Also I am so tired. I hate being so tired al the time. Its liek I need a nap after walking to the fridge and back.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:38 PM   #10
(female)

ksd55 HB User

I have also had a strange sensation like bladder cramping and/or vaginal cramping. Has this cleared up for anyone. I had an open surgery removing part of my small intestine and also my gallbladder removed. I am hoping this clears up. I feel like it is a UTI but it isn't.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:19 AM   #11
(female)

kchap HB User

I had colon resection surgery almost 3 weeks ago.I too have trouble/pain when urinating, but it is especially difficult to have a BM despite the fact that I'm taking stool softeners, laxatives and eating fiber. It seems like those muscles just don't work very well now. I have this almost constant feeling of pressure and heaviness. Will this go away in time? How long will it take?

Old 01-01-2010, 12:27 PM   #12
(female)

ksd55 HB User

Yes, it will. It has been almost a year for me and I still periodically get a bit of pain but nothing like it used to be. Each month it seemed to get better. The pain with urination went away, too. That lasted a few months for me off and on.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:58 AM   #13
(female)

kchap HB User

I also get a sharp, very distinct pain sometimes on my left side. What is this from?

What should I do so that I'm not so constipated? Seems like a daily worry and gets so uncomfortable. I'm also experiencing nausea and poor appetite. Does this sound familiar?

Old 01-03-2010, 11:40 AM   #14
(female)

rola92 HB User

hello kchap,i have the problem too.I just had my hemorrhoids stage 3 removed five days ago and i have been taking laxatives and softners but no bm yet.and sometimes i feel the urge to go but nothing.and i also have the feeling of heaviness.i dont know what to do either.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:12 AM   #15
(female)

kchap HB User

Is it normal to feel nauseous? It's been 3 weeks today since my colon resection. Bowels still not much different - sluggish feeling despite eating high fiber diet and laxatives. Are enemas the answer?

Closed Thread