It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2008, 07:03 AM   #1
(female)

morgansmama HB User
Diarrhea and antibiotics??

I had a tonsillectomy last Thurs and the dr put me on Amoxicillan. The last few days I have had horrible, watery diarrhea. When I was on Omnicef for tonsillitis last month, the same thing happened and the dr said I could take Immodium. I take a medication for diarrhea/IBS anyways because I have diarrhea "issues" since I had my gall bladder removed. I just haven't taken the med since my surgery because it is a powder I have to mix with juice and I am in too much pain to swallow all that right now and it is kinda acidic. Has anyone had the same problem with antibiotics?? I just wonder if another antibiotic would be better. I don't remember having this reaction from antibiotics until just recently. It is really annoying and kind of worries me too.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:25 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

morrisun HB User
Re: Diarrhea and antibiotics??

I was just on Keflex and Flagyl and it gave me horrible diarrhea plus the added joy of a yeast infection and thrush. Fun times. It's pretty common with antibiotics, often times they not only kill off the bad stuff, but the good stuff in the intestines which leads to diarrhea. You can try a probiotic, or just wait it out. Good luck!!
PCOS

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2008, 04:09 PM   #3
(female)

KDD 26 HB User

I remember when I was younger the doctor would also say to eat yogurt with live and active cultures in it. I never liked yogurt then, so I would never eat it. I learned my lesson. Now everytime I take an antibiotic I try to eat yogurt once a day.

Feel better
KDD

Old 03-11-2008, 07:33 PM   #4
(female)

peacefrog HB User

When I had my first bout with diverticulitus I was taking strong antibiotics. They killed off the good bacteria too, and I ended up with a C-Diff infection. I ALWAYS eat probiotic yogurt now, every day, and more if I know I'll be on antibiotics. It truly helps! Activia is good, but there are store brands that are just as good.

Closed Thread