It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2008, 12:06 PM   #1
(female)

motheroftwoboys HB User
Unhappy H Pylori- stomach bacteria- just diagnosed- help

After undergoing numerous medical tests, taking all kinds of medicines, altering my diet, etc., and after suffering with severe upset stomach and bloating for a number of years, I was diagnosed with H pylori bacteria on Monday. I am allergic to penicillin, so they had to prescribe Helidac Rx for me. I am taking sixteen pills a day for fourteen days. I am married and have two boys. How contagious is this? Do other members of my family need to be tested? Do you think the medicine will cure me? I am scared it will not work or the bacteria will come back again. I need advice because I never want to have these stomach problems ever again. It has been awful and no doctor could tell me what was wrong until Monday. I asked to be tested for it because I had heard about it. Anyone who knows about this and has been treated, please help....

Last edited by motheroftwoboys; 03-12-2008 at 07:49 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2008, 03:29 AM   #2
(male)

geezgeez HB User
Re: H Pylori- stomach bacteria- just diagnosed- help

Hi,

Whether you are allergic to Penicillin or not you would have been given Helidac for the H pylori bacteria infection.

Helidac is a drug specifically designed to fight H pylori.

Also don't beat yourself up too much about the fact that you have this infection. It is estimated that more than half of the worlds population also have this, but the majority of people have no side affects.

Its when your immune system identifies the infection and tries to fight it, thats when problems start to occur. H pylori can only be caught with direct contact, that means someone needs (excuse me for being gross) to touch either your vomit or excrement and then put their finger in their mouth.

Also I don't know if the side affects of the drug you are taking have been explained, but if your stool starts looking black then don't worry as this is a normal side effect. It is also advised to steer clear of alcohol because the combination of the Helidac and alcohol can give you an upset stomach. Some doctors will advise you to avoid eating dairy products as well because it can interfere with the medications absorbtion.

Other than that I wouldn't be too concerned with your other family members getting it, because it is difficult to spread. For your own peace of mind when you finish the medication you could ask for another blood test to be done to make sure that it is gone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2008, 07:33 AM   #3
(female)

squirrly HB User

Geezgeez explained it very well. Hubby had this treatment many years ago, and has had no further stomach problems. Follow the treatment precisely and you will do fine. Squirrly

Old 03-13-2008, 07:59 AM   #4
(female)

motheroftwoboys HB User

Thanks geezgeez and squirrly. I am new at healthboards (obviously) and am glad that there are people out there who know about this condition. Any other advice or info? I have heard that eating yogurts with live cultures is supposed to support and aid in digestion and balance of the bacteria in the stomach. Also, what is really strange is that since I started Helidac, I have lost three lbs. Wonder if this is normal??? (I don't really want to lose weight though because I don't weigh much anyway...5'3" and weigh 113 lbs.) I have not had an upset stomach though, so I am happy about that. This is the first time in forever it seems that I am actually feeling better in my tummy.....thanks again for your great info and input.

Closed Thread