It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2008, 09:34 PM   #1
(male)

stanjus12 HB User
Hard Time Going Poop

I am having a difficult time going poop. I get the urge to go, but when I get to the toilet and sit down, i push and only a half an inch comes out, and it almost feels like modeling clay, as I had to put on gloves and dig it out as it wouldn't drop. I took a stool softner 24 hours ago and still can't get it out, I dug some of it out but it hurts so bad tring to go that I just say screw it and hold it, even though holding it hurts just as bad. At work I tried to go and was in so much pain, i was yelling so loud in the bathroom that someone asked me if i was alright. Shouldn't the stool softner have worked, or should I use a laxitive, it almost feels like the poop is wider than my butt opening.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:27 PM   #2
(male)

Richard62 HB User
Re: Hard Time Going Poop

Sounds like to me that you should forget the stool softners and take a good laxative. The day after you take the laxative and hopefully get cleared out somewhat, you had better begin to drink more water each day and eat high fiber foods. I eat Kelloggs All Bran Buds every morning and drink Metamucil every morning as well and it takes care of my constipation problems. There are other cereals you could eat and many high fiber foods as well. You will just have to find what and how much will work for you. If you don't get some regularity going and the constipation becomes chronic, it will cause you to have many problems down the road a ways. (Just advice from a sufferer of chronic constipation of a lifetime.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2008, 04:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

laxatives will make your stomach cramp!! I use natural product from the health food store. It's called total cleanse..............it makes poop soft..but doesn't hurt stomach or give you the squirts

Old 03-15-2008, 04:41 PM   #4
(female)

VA_girl HB User

And you can try Sena a vegtable based laxitive, it helps but it's more gentle. How long have you had this problem?

Old 03-15-2008, 05:38 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

gorgee HB User

stanjus12, you need to start using stool softeners and also a fiber supplement everyday until you are going regularly. I suggest miralax, and also to take 2-3 stool softeners. Also milk of magnesia is good for constipation every once in awhile.

Might I also suggest that since you are backed up maybe you try magnesium citrate to clean your system out, and maybe an enema, or suppository to loosen the stool to help you get the large part in the beginning out. This might seem like a lot, but I have dealt with chronic constipation my whole life. Also, this is what they might do at the hospital.

I have been hospitalized when I was pregnant for constipation because it blocked my going pee. It was horrible and embarassing.

I hope this helps, and good luck. Please write us back and let us know if you are feeling better, and what worked for you.

Kass

Old 03-16-2008, 03:49 PM   #6
(female)

ShearWonders HB User

This is my 3rd post on the subject.
My daughter was having a hard time going to the bathroom. No.2 that is. She would describe it as "dirt" in the bottom of the toilet. She would sit for hours on the toilet and not be able to pass a complete bowel movement. She also had lower abdominal pains. They would come and go. She felt bloated and constipated the majority of the time. Employees would tease her at work because she took such long bathroom breaks..but she could not go to the bathroom. She was 23 when this all started. She had some weight loss also, but she was afraid to eat for fear she could not pass it through. In turn, she lost 30lbs..but was also working out with a trainer..she was a twig. Turns out, at age 24 she was diagnosed with stage III colon cancer!!!! (This was last October, 2007). She is currently doing fantastic while going through chemo.

Like my other posts state..I don't mean to scare anyone. I would have given everything I own to have someone even a year ago bring to light what her constipation COULD have really meant. She was mis-diagnosed for 2 years.

I am 41 and ran to get a colonoscopy. I heard from all the doctors that it was heriditary. Apparently not. No cancer in my family..and none in her fathers side.

Granted, what my daughter is going through is a "fluke thing" it never hurts to share a story to prevent one more person going through such a traumatic experience.

Good luck to you.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:08 AM   #7
(male)

geezgeez HB User

He Shearwonders,

Sorry to hear about your daughter.

My best friend died back in 2006 at the age of 26 of bowel cancer, which had gone undiagnosed right up until he was taken in for a medical emergency because of a bowel obstruction.

They opened him up found the tumour in his large intestine, unfortunately it had spead to his stomach, kidneys and liver. He ended up being in intensive care for 2 weeks but ultimately pulled through and lived for another year.

But even I still realise now, if anyone is having problems with the bowels and if you are under 30 then it is exceptionally unlikely that it will be bowel cancer. Thats why it ends up getting undiagnosed because of the rarity.

But it also makes it hurt even more how unlucky he was.

Last edited by geezgeez; 03-17-2008 at 02:08 AM.

Closed Thread