It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2008, 02:54 PM   #1
(male)

XLdotX HB User
Constipated and frustrated

I don't understand this, I use to live off of junk food and unhealthy food, and I would poop 2-3 times a day on average, usually in the morning. Then I started eating healthy, drinking more water, and exercising. For a while I was fine, but these last few weeks I've had on and off constipation (so bad one time I didn't poop right for a week.) I'm eating more fiber then I ever had before, yet as stupid as it sounds it seems like the more fiber I eat the more constipated I get.

I eat a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables. In fact yesterday I had an apple, banana, a big salad for dinner and for breakfast some whole grain cheerios. Like I said I also drink a lot of water (5-6 glasses a day) and I exercise for 30 minutes 3-4 times a week. Yet I'm still having trouble with constipation. I've been taking some fiber pills lately (it's 100% psyllium husk fiber or something like that, 5 capsules a day) but they don't seem to help. It seems like the only thing that makes me go are laxatives. And boy do they make me go. They also give me terrible stomach cramps that I don't enjoy having. I also know using laxatives too long and too often can make you become dependent on them. So far I've only taken them twice and I don't want to have to resort to using them anymore, but if I start not going again for a week I don't know what else to do.

So frustrating...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
(male)

geezgeez HB User
Re: Constipated and frustrated

Firstly you need to see your physician as chronic constipation needs to be investigated. You could also have some kind of intolerance to food, such as wheat.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2008, 02:57 PM   #3
(male)

XLdotX HB User

I don't see why I would have an intolerence to wheat, I never did before and I've been having a sandwich for lunch almost every day for as long as I can remember.

I use to suffer from constipation when I was a child and for a while I was fine, it seems to be back now though, so I think it's just constipation, I doubt there's any major underlying medical problem. I don't see the point in spending the money on a doctor visit just to hear him say "get more fiber" (which seems to do nothing for me, hell I use to hardly have any fiber in my diet and I would go 2-3 times a day.)

Old 03-20-2008, 06:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

5 or 6 glasses of water is not enough. We are suppose to drink a minimum of 8 - 8 oz. glasses of water per day.

The more fiber you consume, the more water you need to drink. If you do not drink enough water, then the fiber will be constipating.

A balance of fiber and water is a must.

Miralax works better than pysillium.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:19 AM   #5
(male)

easytiger HB User

Hey there,

My Dr. has me on a diet that has substantially reduced the amount of insoluble fiber I eat. Get some coarse milled unflavored metamucil. This stuff works wonders. Takes a day or two to kick in, but it will keep you regular no matter how much constipating food you eat. Be weary of using psyllium fibre and eating a high fibre diet. Keep your diet relatively normal and you won't have to 'go 6 times a day.

I have been told to use it for life. It is totally natural and isn't habit forming. Stay away from laxitives and psyllium pills if you can. Just drop the tsp into your mouth and swish it around with a mouthful of water - swallow, repeat. -you don't get your drinking glasses all dirty!

2tsp am, 2tsp pm.

Tell me how it goes if you choose.

Last edited by easytiger; 03-28-2008 at 11:21 AM.

Closed Thread