It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2008, 08:31 AM   #1
(male)

MachOneMustang HB User
Question Will a celiac sprue test come back negative if you have not consumed gluten recently?

Hey guys,

I've had two of these blood tests performed over the past year... and both came back negative. However, both times I was doing by best to AVOID gluten (at all costs) due to a confirmed "allergy" (as well as others, see [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=591234[/url] for more clarification) to it which seemed to accompany my Ulcerative Proctitis diagnosis.

Does the celiac sprue test aspects of the blood which are only present if your body is reacting to gluten... or will the test come back positive regardless? My old GI claims the latter... but I'm not entirely sure if I believe him.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-27-2008, 03:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wallis86 HB User
Re: Will a celiac sprue test come back negative if you have not consumed gluten recen

A celiac test CAN come back negative if you have been gluten free for a long period of time, but chances are, you've been consuming hidden sources of gluten if you don't know all of the places it exists. For example, gluten is in wheat (obviously), barley, oats, rye, and malt, as well as modified food starch. Many of these things are "hidden" ingredients in different foods such as cereals, certain drinks, candies. I would guess you probably just have a negative celiac panel rather than a false negative.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2008, 10:05 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: Will a celiac sprue test come back negative if you have not consumed gluten recen

MachOneMustang,

My understanding is that the antibody test can indeed come back negative if you are on a truly gluten-free diet for a period of several months. My understanding is also that there are different shades of gluten sensitivities, as well as different strictnesses of diet. If you are only mildly sensitive, then perhaps trace amounts of gluten (as in the wheat that is often used in spices to keep them free-flowing) might be low enough to allow your body to stop producing the antibodies. Uh, that's a backwards way of saying "it depends on how sensitive you are".

My antibody test came back negative during a period when I had adopted a gluten-free diet for several months. So, therefore I am not "officially" gluten sensitive. But I know that I am, and I always regret it when I have trace amounts of gluten.

It may be that you will have to decide for yourself if a gluten-free diet is helping you.

--Rheanna

Closed Thread