It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2008, 05:31 PM   #1
(female)

goggyween46 HB User
Diverticulitis occurs on 1st day of menstrual cycle & Same Time of Year

I have had 3 Diverticulitis attacks during the same month over the past 3 years and it happens to occur on the 1st day of my menstrual cycle. I have also had 2 cessarian sections, 12 and 14 years ago. Can anyone give me any insight as to if there are any connections here?

Old 04-02-2008, 05:59 AM   #2
(female)

ezmeralda HB User
Smile Re: Diverticulitis occurs on 1st day of menstrual cycle & Same Time of Year

Interesting you bring this subject up. I had a bowel resection last week due to way too many to count diverticulitis attacks. After the first several there seemed to be a pattern. Time of year/season to be exact. While I was in the hospital the surgeon ( University of Michigan Hospital ) and I went over my history and I was told by him that what they have found is that often diverticulitis attacks are cyclical and seasonal. That if most people would really look back at when their attacks occur there would be a pattern. Every three months, every spring, fall etc. He told me that research has been done on this issue and what they believe is some of it has to do with hormone changes, men have them too, and the body chemistry changes with the seasons. Even in warmer climates the body changes blood thickness etc with the seasons. U of M hospital is current on a research grant regarding diverticulitis and bowel disorders so I hope they know what the heck they are talking about. I am no doctor and this could all be BS but reviewing my history and several of the older posts here you can see the patterns.

I would talk to your doctor about all of this and get their input on the pattern of your attacks.

Hope this helps,

Vikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2008, 12:17 PM   #3
(female)

goggyween46 HB User
Re: Diverticulitis occurs on 1st day of menstrual cycle & Same Time of Year

Hi Vicki, thank you for responding. It truly is very strange. This is very good info. and I will discuss with my doc on Friday. I really appreciate this information, it really helps to know you are not the only one. I have also had 2 cessarian sections and that could be another question as to why this is happening. This attack is a painfull one. Are you always prescribed Flagyl? That stuff is a killer. Major Diareah and nausia. Also Cipro. How many times have you had an attack?

Old 04-03-2008, 05:21 PM   #4
(female)

ezmeralda HB User

Hi Vicki, thank you for responding. It truly is very strange. This is very good info. and I will discuss with my doc on Friday. I really appreciate this information, it really helps to know you are not the only one. I have also had 2 cessarian sections and that could be another question as to why this is happening. This attack is a painfull one. Are you always prescribed Flagyl? That stuff is a killer. Major Diareah and nausia. Also Cipro. How many times have you had an attack?

Hi
Isn't it the truth to know you are not the only one out there going through crazy symptoms and multiple attacks. I am not sure if having cessarian sections has anything to do with the timing of the attacks but I was told that scar tissue, adhesions, can make the pain worse as the they attach to the bowel.

Yes I was always given Flagyl, even when I was in the hospital I had it IV. It is the worst! It gives you this awful taste in your mouth. I was always given Cipro/Flagyl until my last attack. They they decided to step it up a bit and give Bactrim with the Cipro/Flaygl cocktail. It was totally horrible.

In the past four years I have had 8 attacks all but one was acute. I had one that started last October (07) and went through Jan 08. Always with diarrhea and chills (without fever). I was never really nauseated only when I took antibiotics. Then to have it return in February. I was to have surgery on February 25 but I was in the hospital with an attack. I had my surgery last Tuesday ( 26th). I am so glad that part is over.

How many attacks have you had? Take it real easy for the first few days. Stay on a clear liquid diet to rest your bowel that is extremely important.

Hope you feel better soon,

Vikki

Old 04-06-2008, 08:07 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

lady287 HB User

The plot thickens....

In September of 2007, I went to the ER for what I thought was appendicitis. It turned out that I had a perforated colon due to diverticulitis. So in December (four months ago yesterday), I had 18 inches of my right colon removed. My appendix was also removed, because it was covered in endometriosis. My previous surgeries were 1) Right ovary removed due to a cyst, 2). Right side ectopic pregnancy 3) uterine fibroids removed, and 4) endometriosis removed. I thought the resection was a very difficult surgery, and hoped that I wouldn't have any more problems. However, I am still having what seemed like diverticulitis attacks. I'll feel fine for a few weeks, but then I'll feel run-down, tired, chilled, with abdominal bloat, gassiness, and diarrhea. (but NO fever) I also had a large hematoma from the surgery, and it becomes extremely tender to touch. However the worst pain, by far, is my right shoulder blade. I am having some kind of referred pain, and this also happened when I had the original perforation and the surgery. This ‘attack' will last for four to seven days. I had a CT scan two weeks ago that showed no diverticulitis and that the hematoma was resolving itself. My surgeon is baffled... he asked if these attacks had anything to do with my cycle. The last attack (last weekend) did coincide with the first period I had in five months.

I am 47 years old and just thought I was of that age where I wouldn't be having them. He suggested that I contact my gynecologist about the possibility of having endometriosis wrapped around my bowels and colon. So I faxed all this info to my ob-gyn. He left me a message today that he wants me to come in... that he has some ideas as to what the problem may be. I'll keep you posted...!
Anyway... it just seems coincidental that we all have had plenty of surgeries and scar tissue, etc.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-09-2008 at 09:07 AM.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:51 AM   #6
(female)

goggyween46 HB User

Hi Anatta,
I am up late working and saw your reply. Wow, how coincidental... hmmm, there has to be something to it. I am 46 and last year only got my period like 3 times. When they come, they are EXTREMELY painful. My OB said she would do a hysterectomy if I choose, but I am chicken because of scar tissue and adhesions. I have never been diagnosed with endometriosis, but wonder. They can not see endometriosis on a scan, can they? I am tempted to just have the hysterectomy; especially since I have a lot of cancer in my family. Ovarian. When I went to doc on Friday, he said that he wants me to see a surgeon. I was a bit shocked, as I have had 3 attacks. So, they have already called to schedule an appt. but I am chicken. I am very anxious to hear what your ob says. Please keep me posted and I will you too. Also, do you also have to take a lot of pepcid?
Goggyween.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:46 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

lady287 HB User

I went to my ob-gyn this morning. He said that he absolutely thinks that the endometriosis has caused my right shoulder pain, and that it is very possible that the endometriosis has something to do with my original perforation!! He has recommended a GI who is very thorough, and wants to see if he concurs with his opinion. Apparently endometriosis can attach itself anywhere, -- even the brain or lungs. My shoulder blade pain (which is excrutiating) is caused by diaphragmic endometriosis. It literally hurts to breathe... it feels better when I hold my breath. If he agrees, then I will start a Lupron shot, which will supress my estrogen levels. He said that ideally it would be best to remove my remaining ovary, but he doesn't recommend it because of my five other previous surgeries (adhesions and scar tissue). It's hard for me to believe that all these diverticulitis problems has been caused, or at least exacerbated, by this other problem I've had for twenty years. Meanwhile, I'll just keep trying to eat right and get enough fiber. I already have been on an extreme low-fat diet for two years as a holistic way to treat MS. I've had MS for probably 18 years... yet it's all this digestive/bowel stuff that scares me the most!
I'll let you know what GI say...
(No Pepcid, only citrucel)

Old 04-09-2008, 08:11 AM   #8
(female)

goggyween46 HB User

Hi Anatta,
What were the 5 previous surgeries? It sounds kind of bizarre, but it is good that you are getting a 2nd opinion. Let me know what the GI says. I am scheduled to see a surgeon after 3 diverticulitis attacks. I have had 2 cessarrian sections and will be interested to hear what the surgeon has to say. I am going to insist upon an entire stomach scan first though to rule out anything else that might be going on. So, I am scheduling an appt. today. Lets keep eachother posted. Have a great day!
Goggy

Closed Thread