It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2008, 10:29 PM   #1
(female)

amberwalsch HB User
Chron's disease in the small intestine! Questions

Hi there-
I was wondering if anyone could please inform me of what they know about Chron's Disease in the small intestine. I am aware that there are five different types of Chron's disease. After doing an endoscopy and a colonoscopy my doctor has ruled out two forms (I believe the ones primarily dealing with the colon as this could be seen through a colonoscopy and he said he didn't see anything). After many other tests, he now believes that it is quite possible that I could have Chron's in the small intestine (the part not being able to be seen by neither a colonoscopy or an endoscopy) and I am awaiting for tests.

My doctor informed me that although all five forms of Chron's disease present many of the same symptoms, each has such some specifics. I was curious about the particular symptoms (as I wish to compare them to my own), how this form is diagnosed, and anything else you may know. I believe these are the three forms I am talking about (the three not able to be seen through an endoscopy or a colonoscopy, please correct me if I am wrong): Ileitis, Gastroduodenal, and Jujunoileitis.

Any help would be very much appreciated, whether you are diagnosed with one of these, know someone that is, or even if you happen to know any information on them. Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Best Wishes!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2008, 08:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User
Re: Chron's disease in the small intestine! Questions

Pain and cramping ,low grade fever, weight lose,joint pain, tired sleep more.,Diareah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2008, 09:02 AM   #3
(female)

amberwalsch HB User

Thank you for responding gardenandcats,
I really appreciate your response. Are these all symptoms of the three different forms I listed? I know these are all symptoms of Chron's disease in general, but my Dr. had mentioned to me how other certain symptoms go hand in hand with these specifics. Any ideas on what those specifics may be? Or how these symptoms would differ from symptoms of someone lets say with Chron's colitis in the large intestine?

Old 04-09-2008, 10:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User

The most common type of Crohn’s is Ileocolitis, which affects the ileum, or lower part of the small intestine, and colon. Common symptoms experienced with this type is pain or cramping in the lower right part or middle of the abdomen, as well as diarrhea and weight loss. As with the other forms, as a result of inflammation, damage to the intestinal wall is common and may cause additional complications.

Another form is Ileitis, which only affects the lower part of the small intestine, or ileum. There are similar symptoms as Ileocolitis, abdominal pain and diarrhea, and may include the formation of ulcerations or abscesses in the lower right area of the abdomen. Weight loss may also occur as a result of excessive diarrhea.

Gastroduodenal Crohn’s Disease, on the other hand, involves the first part of the small intestine, the duodenum, and the stomach. Loss of appetite usually occurs, as well as weight loss as a result, and nausea. Vomiting may also occur and be a sign of bowel obstruction. This form is particularly difficult to deal with as it affects nutritional intake and may lead to malnutrition.

Jejunoileitis is another type and causes inflammation in the upper half of the small intestine in patches. Abdominal pain is common, as with most forms of Crohn’s disease, but may vary from mild to intense. Pain usually occurs after meals and may include diarrhea. Fistulas may also form. If fistulas or abscesses form, they may lead to other complications as well.

Crohn’s (granulomatous) colitis affects the colon only and not any other part of the intestines. Because of the effect on the lower digestive system, rectal bleeding is common, in addition to anal disease, such as ulcers, abscess, and fistulas. Other symptoms include diarrhea as well as joint pain and skin lesions, which may occur in other forms on Crohn’s but is more common in this type. This form, in particular, is easily misdiagnosed as ulcerative colitis, because both disorders affect the colon.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:20 AM   #5
(male)

brahmbo HB User

Did anyone try Colostrum for this ailment? I used a colostrum (oxsole 3000mg) from oxsole and it looks as though my problem is improving

Old 04-10-2008, 08:08 PM   #6
(female)

amberwalsch HB User

Thank you for the reply gardenandcats-
Due to the fact that you seem to be very informative about this information, I was wondering if I could try another question out on you. I got for a small bowel series next week (where you drink the barium) and I was wondering if you have ever had this? I was wondering exactly what they can see or are looking for in terms of chrons disease. Does it take longer to digest if you are diagnosed with chrons? or a shorter amount of time? Also, how bad is the stuff to drink, similar in taste to the prep work for a colonoscopy?

Thanks!

Old 04-10-2008, 11:05 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have had small bowel series X-rays quite a few times.The barium is thick and chalky sort of like Milk of Magnesia thickness. Some hospitals have it flavored some don't. Its not horrid I find plugging my nose as I drink really helps...Usually what they are looking for is any narrowing or actuall partial obstructions due to the Crohns.This is how I found out I again needed another bowel resection surgery due to the crohns. When the barium reached a certain area of my small bowell it just did not go through as I had a almost complete obstruction. As to how long it takes to leave your stomach and reach your small bowel really depends.For me it takes longer then normal as they say I have slow stomach emptying is this due to my Crohns or just the way i would be any ways who knows for sure.
It takes time to diagnose Crohns and often many test. The way I was finally diagnosed was when I had my 1st surgery and they had to remove my terminal Ileum and 17 inches of bowel which they then biopsed and found it was Crohns . Has your doc mentioned the prometheus blood test? This is fairly new ,look it up online it yourself and read up on it. Often this helps find if its Crohns or Colitus or neither. good luck and let me know how things go for you..

Last edited by gardenandcats; 04-10-2008 at 11:06 PM.

Closed Thread