It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2008, 03:18 PM   #1
(male)

palmettomoon HB User
Diverticulitis Pain Too Severe to Take Please Advise

I have Diverticulitis, male, 42, former Army Officer. Although I don't have flare ups very often since adjusting my diet, when I do, I have very severe pain. My doctor says take Ibuprophen, it does nothing. Vicodin does nothing. Tylenol 3 does nothing. Aspirin acutally makes it more severe, although I didn't think that could be possible.

How do people live with this pain? I can't concentrate on anything. I can't lie down. I can't stand up. I can't sleep. I've suffered with this for three years now and I can't do it anymore.

If any posting on this board can guide me towards successfully managing this pain, I will be grateful.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:58 PM   #2
(female)

ezmeralda HB User
Re: Diverticulitis Pain Too Severe to Take Please Advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmettomoon View Post
I have Diverticulitis, male, 42, former Army Officer. Although I don't have flare ups very often since adjusting my diet, when I do, I have very severe pain. My doctor says take Ibuprophen, it does nothing. Vicodin does nothing. Tylenol 3 does nothing. Aspirin acutally makes it more severe, although I didn't think that could be possible.

How do people live with this pain? I can't concentrate on anything. I can't lie down. I can't stand up. I can't sleep. I've suffered with this for three years now and I can't do it anymore.

If any posting on this board can guide me towards successfully managing this pain, I will be grateful.

I lived with diverticulitis for over 7 years with several flare ups before I finally gave in and had a bowel resection two weeks ago. I completely understand how awful the pain can be. I was told my my gastro doctor not to take any asprin, ibuprophen, aleve etc because they can actually cause bleeding and upset your stomach more. He recommended either OTC extra strengthy Tylenol or he finally gave me Darvocet. Darvocet does not constipate like other pain meds. He also told me to try a heating pad - set low.

All that being said; I am assuming you have had a CAT scan that diagnosed diverticulitis for this episode - correct? If so, are you on antibiotics? and for how long? If the pain is as severe as you are saying you need to go to the ER for another evaluation. You may need to be in the hospital for antibiotic IV therapy for a few days. Do you trust your doctor? Don't get me wrong living with this problem is painful but usually in between flare ups the pain is managable. That is why your describing the pain as this severe is concerning.

If you are in the middle of an attack, stay on clear liquids and get rest. If you are not in the middle of an attack, stay on a low residue/low fiber diet until you know what is going on. It will help rest your bowel.

Good luck, I know all to well how awful this disease can be and especially during an attack/flare up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2008, 07:28 PM   #3
(male)

palmettomoon HB User

I've had these flare ups enough to recognize it for what it is.

I'm going to the ER shortly to see if they'll put me on a morphine drip. I can't describe the pain. I've had a heart attack (in '06), and that didn't hurt anywhere near this bad. I've been shot in the foot, again the pain was nothing compared to this. Broken arm, wrist, femur, no pain like this. I don't see how people live with this for hours and days on end. I can't believe my GP and GI discount the pain so easily.

I used to think poorly of others choosing suicide due to pain, but I think I understand now with perfect clarity how it can wear a person down to nothing and I am ashamed to have passed judgment.

Thanks for the advice. I've not tried Darvocet, I'll ask my physician.

The following user gives a hug of support to palmettomoon:
august4sure (09-27-2011)
Old 04-14-2008, 06:09 AM   #4
(female)

mary305 HB User

Don't wait until it's too late before getting treatment. If your pain is severe it could be that it is absessed and ready to perforate. I had pain for almost 2 months, returning to the doctor 3 or 4 times with a fever for a few weeks. The symptoms went undiagnosed for over a month. I had ultrasounds (neg) and blood work (neg) but my doctor didn't send me for a cat scan right away. The day he finallly did send me, the pain was so severe, that I called and told them I was goint to ER after the CT. When I got the CT they told me I NEEDED to go to ER right away. My bowel had perferated and I was in need of emergency surgery. That surgery required that I have a cholostomy. Had it been caught, perhaps the infection could have been treated and surgery planned for a later date when I was in better shape. At this point I was very ill and recovery was difficult. I was in hospital 2 weeks vs. a probable 1 week under good conditions. The bowel had also attached to the bladder. I am 2 months recovery now, but getting the same pain in my bladder that I had before. I am going to call doctor today. I was also on Darvocet for pain post op. Worked great. I don't do well on pain meds normally (nausea, loopy brain, drowsiness, etc) but with Darvocet I had none of that. Couldn't even tell I was on pain meds except that I didn't have pain. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmettomoon View Post

The following user gives a hug of support to mary305:
august4sure (09-27-2011)
Old 04-16-2008, 10:14 AM   #5
(male)

greg1x HB User

I agree with the other posters. Sounds like you are due for a bowel resection if it is truly diverticulitis. Also you should be on antibiotics Cipro and Flagyl , not just pain meds. I put up with it for months and finally had a bowel resection in November of 2005. It was not that bad of surgery. Greg

Old 05-05-2008, 10:15 PM   #6
(female)

sturgeon HB User

gregory, can you tell a little more about your experience? My son had one bad attack & his Doc diagnosed diverticulitis - he's having lap surgery bowel resection on 5/20. He's
single, lives alone. Can't drive for 3 wks, will he manage ok by himself? Is the procedure
& recovery pretty bad? Appreciate any info you will share. Thanks & good luck to you. Jay

Old 05-06-2008, 06:40 AM   #7
(female)

ezmeralda HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
gregory, can you tell a little more about your experience? My son had one bad attack & his Doc diagnosed diverticulitis - he's having lap surgery bowel resection on 5/20. He's
single, lives alone. Can't drive for 3 wks, will he manage ok by himself? Is the procedure
& recovery pretty bad? Appreciate any info you will share. Thanks & good luck to you. Jay
Hi Jay,

I know you wrote this to Gregory and I hope you do not mind me answering too.

I had a large bowel resection on 3/25/08 via lap and was released on 3/28. My surgeon would not let me go home alone for two days just in case there were complications but after the two days I was home alone. My aftercare plan was soft foods, low fiber, no lifting over 10 lbs, I could shower - not bathe due to the incisions - and I could not drive for a week. The pain was not bad at all. I had several questions about issues, constipation etc but this board is a wealth of information and support.

The recovery was really not bad at all. Please let your son to get up and walk, walk, walk. It really helps in speeding up the recovery. Drink LOTS of water! Walking and water are key. Also, ask a great deal of questions of your surgeon. What to expect, what can and can't I do etc. Tell him to remember to eat light, small meals of low fiber, soft foods. If he needs to take his pain meds tell him to take them and not try to brave it out. I am female cop and believe me I thought taking pain meds would make me a wimp. Nothing could be further from the truth. Pain management is paramount but that is why he will need to drink a great deal of water. Pain meds normally constipate and after this type of surgery he does not want to be constipated. Also remember his surgeon is just a phone call away if he or you feel something is not going correctly.

He will be fine. I was very hesitant to have this surgery done and waited at least a year too long. Now the diverticulitis pain is gone and I do not have to worry about my colon rupturing.

I will keep him in my thoughts and remember many of us here have gone through this and we are here for support.

Brwyn

Old 05-06-2008, 03:26 PM   #8
(male)

greg1x HB User
Smile Re: Diverticulitis Pain Too Severe to Take Please Advise

Jay,
For the most part I would agree with the above poster. My experience was very similar, except for the driving, which I also was told I could not do for three weeks. I totally agree with the, not denying yourself needed pain meds. I also was very hesitant and waited too long, sounds like your son is making the right decision. A typical hospital stay for this is 3-4 days. Best wishes. Gregory

Old 05-14-2008, 05:54 PM   #9
(male)

GBC1 HB User

Hello, I just returned today from the hospital. My surgery was Monday afternoon (5/12), I was up walking around the hospital on Tuesday morning, and was released today. I too was hesitant to have the surgery done. I thought about it for months, and then decided to go through with it. I am glad I did. Right now I am taking only Motrin for pain (600mg every 8 hours). I do have a prescription for darvocet, but do not plan on using it unless needed. As mentioned previously, it can cause constipation. It is best to have it taken care of before further complications occur. I am only at the beginning of my recovery, but am hoping for the best. One more thing, my procedure was performed laparoscopically. Open surgery will lead to longer time in the hospital, and longer recovery time. However, the best chance for a laparoscopic procedure is to have it done electively during a time that a flare up is not occurring.

I hope this helps.

Thanks to all for all of the great advice

Old 05-15-2008, 11:44 AM   #10
(male)

greg1x HB User

Sounds like you are doing excellently. Glad to here everything is working out well for you.
greg

Closed Thread