It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2008, 05:10 PM   #1
(female)

CMA322 HB User
Unhappy Rectal Prolapse-not for the squeamish/long

Hi all,
I'm new to the board-it's hard discussing things like this face to face-thank God for the anonymity of the internet! Here's my problem/question: I have some fairly minor bowel problems, mostly some incomplete evacuation constipation. I've had varying problems for the past few years but they have actually improved as time went by. Last summer I had small amount of rectal bleeding, saw my doc, who diagnosed hemorrhoids. She only "looked"-that is, checked out the external, never did any kind of internal rectal exam, but did speculate that I probably had internal hemorrhoids and gave me suppositories. The hemorrhoids themselves don't bother me, I just thought it'd be better to rule out other more serious problems. OK, recently I noticed a bit of a "bulge" that protrudes just a tiny bit if I bear down, i.e after a bowel movement. You can imagine it's difficult to get a look at it, but I did my best with a handheld mirror and if I strain hard I can see a little bit of flesh colored/light pink tissue...I realize no one can diagnose this over the internet but if anyone has rectal prolapse maybe they can tell me a little bit more about their symptoms to see if mine coincide? I repeat I have no pain or even discomfort, really, just embarrassment. I realize that a prolapsed internal hemorrhoid is probably likely, but if it does turn out to be rectal prolapse....I'm worried for my quality of life-I'm only 25 and if I have rectal prolapse now, it seems inevitable that I'm in for some serious problems later in life. If anyone does have rectal prolapse-have you had any success with non surgical or surgical treatments? How long does prolapse take to worsen? Does it have a big impact on your day to day life or is it fairly easy to manage? Any help answering these questions would be appreciated-I'm luckily in no pain but I'm a little worried and scared. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2008, 06:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wallis86 HB User
Re: Rectal Prolapse-not for the squeamish/long

It sounds like what you are actually seeing is an internal hemorrhoid. When you bear down, it is protruding, and once you stop bearing down it goes back in. There are different stages of hemorrhoids, and that is the second stage. I would go to the doctor and just be open about the problem, just to be sure its not something more serious.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User
Re: Rectal Prolapse-not for the squeamish/long

Good luck to you. I'm waiting to see a dr about the same type problem. It's scarey to me. No one, not even a health care provider, seems to want to discuss it or exam us.

Closed Thread