It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2008, 09:32 AM   #1
(female)

Bumblebee77 HB User
Smile My experience with anal skin tag, fissure, hemorrhoidectomy

My post from earlier this week:

"I'll be having surgery to remove a large anal skin tag that developed after several years of fissure problems. While I don't have a fissure now, the rectal surgeon recommended I have it removed. I called the Dr's RN today to ask a question and found out the procedure is actually called a hemorrhoidectomy. I'm assuming it's called that because the procedure will be similar to hemorrhoid surgery.

My questions:
1) How long does the healing process take? I've read so many horror stories from hemorrhoid surgery patients and I'm wondering if my skin tag removal will cause the same amount of pain and prolonged recovery.

2) I know hemorrhoid removal causes A LOT of pain. Should I expect the same agony??

3) Also, I had previously made plans for an event taking place a few days after surgery. This will involve sitting down for 2-3 hours. Is that going to be a problem?? Should I cancel?? I read online that you should lay down as often as possible."

Ok, here's my experience so far:
The surgery was a breeze. The doctor did actually find a fissure and injected Botox to help it heal. I woke up, no pain. Went home 3.5 hrs after surgery. Dr gave me Norco (hydrocodone + tylenol) but I only ever took half the dosage at a time. My surgery was a 2:30 pm. I took 1/2 at 3:30, 7 pm, 11, and one the next morning. I stopped because I didn't think I needed them.

I NEVER had any pain. It was awesome. I had been SO AFRAID of having this procedure done after reading the horror stories online.

Dr. gave me instructions to use metamucil?, a stool softener, sitz baths, and milk of magnesia. I guess b/c the narcotics can be constipating. After reading all the bad post-op poop stories I decided to eat only fiber-rich foods. I also didn't eat nearly as much as I normally would. Fruit, veggies, Raisin Bran with a little milk. That's pretty much what I've been living on. Oh, and WATER, LOTS OF WATER. And I have to say, I think it worked wonders because I had my first BM today, which I was very nervous about, and it was "like butter." As in the whole incident was painless (a little tender though) and easy. I frantically took another half of a norco, anticipating a painful BM, but couldn't wait for it to take effect. I didn't need it though, as it turns out. I put prep H cream on right before and I think that helped with getting stuff out and not sticking to me, if you know what I mean. I cleaned up lightly with medicated moist wipes and the sitz bath hose/sprayer thing. It went smoothly.

So, my message is that maybe I shouldn't have gotten so freaked out by other people's stories. The nurses told me not to read that stuff anymore. I probably won't listen to that advice completely, but I'll take other people's stories with a grain of salt. Because they're not me and everyone can have a different experience.

I hope this helped lesson the fear that others may be feeling. Good luck to all of you.

PS: I'm going to my event tonight. YAY!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread