HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Bowel Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/bowel-disorders/)
-   -   Bowel pain is severe, any ideas? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/bowel-disorders/601246-bowel-pain-severe-any-ideas.html)

leash44 05-07-2008 10:03 PM

Bowel pain is severe, any ideas?

A little history, I am Diabetic/Hypothyroid/PCOS/Spinal Osteoarthritis/Fibromyalgia or UCTD/Chronic headaches/Insomnia/possible Endometriosis/Anemia that is not improving with iron supplements I've been taking for a YEAR, in fact has gotten worse...

Several years back was worked up for Lupus, Positive ANAs, positive Anti-DS DNA mixed speckled and homogenous, whatever that means. Was told I could develop it down the line but that there were not enough criteria at the time to dx

Now recently, I asked my doc and OB about painful bowel movements and they chalked it up to constipation or possible endometriosis without any willingness to check anything out. She did do a uterine biopsy to rule out uterine cancer causing my abdominal pain, it came back clear.

Now within the last few months the pain has gotten much much worse... some BMs are fine and only slightly painful, except for the fact that I cannot poop sitting up like a normal person, I have to lean back and nearly arch back on the toilet back to get things lined up properly is what it seems like.

What I am concerned about it the times like the episode I had two nights ago. I all of the sudden got the painful urge to go, and once on the toilet it was excruciating. I mean can't sit forward or I feel like someone is knocking around a rod with glass shards on it in there. I have to arch back in pain, trying to go as I feel like my insides are being ripped apart just to poop a few small nuggets and can tell there is more in there that won't come out and they too are causing this pain just being in there. Also, if I am in the few days when this is happening bad it is also painful to pee, but not in a UTI kind of way, it's a collection of abdominal pain that happens when the bladder gets near to being empty. When I am not in these bouts, I can pee fine with no pain. Almost makes me feel like my innards are all not in the right places or something. I did give birth in Aug 2006, everything was fine then. Shortly before this started happening I was having strange thunk-like feeling in the lower abdomen when picking up my daughter. No idea if this means anything.

To clarify the worst case scenario, the pain was so bad that I was crying/nearly screaming in pain, my vision started to go half-white and my hearing was half gone, feeling clammy and both hot and cold at the same time, like a feeling of shock and about to pass out, that I had to scream across the house in the middle of the night to get my mother to come sit in the bathroom with me to make sure I wasn't about to pass out on the toilet and hit my head on the bathtub... all the while hoping that I wasn't going to wake up my 21 month old on the other side of the bathroom wall. :(

This really does not feel normal, am I crazy or are my doc useless for hearing bowel pain and brushing me off so lightly? I know, as if I don't have enough medical problems as it is, but this is new and I can't help but think and wonder if whatever is going on in there may be a reason I am anemic and iron is not going to help if I am losing blood from somewhere and it's getting worse.

It also worries me that my grandfather had colon cancer twice, and had bowel reconstruction twice. My father, at his first colonoscopy already had precancerous polyps removed at the time and at his next visit since.

So I guess my question is what kind of problem would be causing this specific type of pain and what kind of doc would I see for it because it's obvious mine don't give a crap (no pun intended).

sammi2 05-08-2008 03:27 PM

Re: Bowel pain is severe, any ideas?

Is the pain around your navel or lower down? Is it like colon spasms? Does the pain stop once you have a BM? The feeling of almost passing out is probably a vagus nerve response to the pain. I understand the pain is severe when we pass out from it. I've done that for many years & it always scares me even tho I know what it is. I would see a gastroenterologist for a diagnosis. If it is IBS s/he can prescribe you something for pain.

leash44 05-09-2008 12:11 AM

[QUOTE=sammi2;3562140]Is the pain around your navel or lower down? Is it like colon spasms? Does the pain stop once you have a BM? The feeling of almost passing out is probably a vagus nerve response to the pain. I understand the pain is severe when we pass out from it. I've done that for many years & it always scares me even tho I know what it is. I would see a gastroenterologist for a diagnosis. If it is IBS s/he can prescribe you something for pain.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your reply. The pain is lower down, the most severe being in what feels like the lower part of the large intestine. It's worst sort of just inside the opening where the stuff is waiting to come out, but when I push to go it is all over in there as the BM is moving through the bowels and colon. It doesn't feel like spasms but I have no idea about that. I'd liken the pain to dragging an ice pick along the raw nerves of a severe burn victim. I suppose it could be spasms happening as stuff is moving through. The pain sort of stops once the BM is out but still feels sharp and sore afterwards and lower back achy. Not always able to get all BM out so it still stays achy and sharp in there until I can eliminate it all.

Thanks, I will probably make an appt with a gastroenterologist as soon as my health insurance kicks in in a few weeks.

coolied 05-09-2008 01:54 PM

not a doctor, but this sounds an awful lot like a bad anal fissure......... research this condition and see if it sounds like what you are experiencing.........

sandy8888 05-19-2008 06:50 PM

I have had several symptoms similar to what you described. I have pain before a bowel movement and lots of pain with gas. I started out thinking I had hemroids, but now I have spasms...I am scheduled for a CT scan of my lower abdomen on Friday....kinda scared what's up.

leslie8423 05-19-2008 07:26 PM

hi i have had severe pain in y abdomen for yrs since i was 12 yrs old it feels like i need to make a bm but when i go to use the restroom .. i black out and after 10 mins wake up on the floor from blacking out ..i was wondering if anyone knows what this could be i also don't remember how i got to the bathroom in the first place when i come to and also makes me feel like throwing up and that i can't breathe ...it use to be twice a week then moved to once a week then 3 times a month and i have had three of these episodes last yr one week after another... can anyone help me fund an answer... i have gone to doctors and had tests and they can't find anything wrong..and i just wanna know what i could have so i can get treated . i am tired of not knowing when my next black out would accure when i get abdomen pain .... (like in my large intestens i can't spell it ..)

Deb1973 05-21-2008 08:21 AM

I can't say that I personally have had bowel pain...(I may have forgotten by now), but I sure have had a lot of discomfort, with bloating, gas, constipation, difficulty breathing. I've been taking 2 magnesium pills at night before I go to bed, that really helps with the 1st 4 symptoms. The difficulty breathing was from a lack of potassium, as I didn't have a source of it and ended up in the ER last summer. Now I'm on potassium pills. If you are having problems such as mine, you might try drinking more orange juice, eating bananas, and taking some magnesium and see if your symptoms are alleviated. This sounds pretty severe. I hope you get some answers and help.