Originally Posted by sammi2
I couldn't take Miralax because it gave me horrible headache & caused my face to swell. Miralax is polyethylene glycol which my allergist says is an ingredient in antifreeze. That told me all I needed to know.
Ethylene Glycol and Propylene glycol is what is in antifreeze the words are similar but antifreeze is deadly. Even if you look on the miralax website it says no more than 14 days but my doctor told me to take it everyday. I think it was just removing all the minerals in my body too much. I am not nearly as achy as before.
Ethylene Glycol (EG) and Polyethylene Glycol (PG) are two separate beasts. PG is
safely used in cosmetics, medications, etc. EG is better known as
antifreeze, and it is toxic.
When EG is broken down in the body, it produces toxins that can affect the
brain and heart, and cause damage to the kidneys. Furthermore, the toxic
effects can be delayed, so a person or animal who seems "okay" after
ingesting antifreeze (a sweet-tasting substance) is not out of the woods
yet.... They MUST be seen on an emergency basis and followed closely for the
delayed effects. Antifreeze poisoning can be fatal - even with medical