It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2008, 07:46 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

anitak1982 HB User
Miralax

I have had problems going for my whole life. I was using magnesium to help me but my doctor told me to stop and told me to use Miralax every night for the rest of my life.

I have been using Miralax now since January and began to feel so achy and sore all the time in all my joints. I hurt like crazy. Began to think it might be because I am going through the change. My pants began to be tighter than before and I knew I hadn't changed my eating habits to gain weight. I still took my supplements, which I take calcium, potassium and a multivitamin.

In frustration I stopped the Miralax and went back to the magnesium and guess what the aches are gone. Was Miralax depleting me too much? I am also not as bloated.

Last edited by anitak1982; 05-25-2008 at 07:47 AM.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User
Re: Miralax

I couldn't take Miralax because it gave me horrible headache & caused my face to swell. Miralax is polyethylene glycol which my allergist says is an ingredient in antifreeze. That told me all I needed to know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2008, 08:39 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

anitak1982 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi2 View Post
I couldn't take Miralax because it gave me horrible headache & caused my face to swell. Miralax is polyethylene glycol which my allergist says is an ingredient in antifreeze. That told me all I needed to know.
Actually
Ethylene Glycol and Propylene glycol is what is in antifreeze the words are similar but antifreeze is deadly. Even if you look on the miralax website it says no more than 14 days but my doctor told me to take it everyday. I think it was just removing all the minerals in my body too much. I am not nearly as achy as before.

FYI

Ethylene Glycol (EG) and Polyethylene Glycol (PG) are two separate beasts. PG is
safely used in cosmetics, medications, etc. EG is better known as
antifreeze, and it is toxic.

When EG is broken down in the body, it produces toxins that can affect the
brain and heart, and cause damage to the kidneys. Furthermore, the toxic
effects can be delayed, so a person or animal who seems "okay" after
ingesting antifreeze (a sweet-tasting substance) is not out of the woods
yet.... They MUST be seen on an emergency basis and followed closely for the
delayed effects. Antifreeze poisoning can be fatal - even with medical
treatment.

Last edited by anitak1982; 05-25-2008 at 08:48 PM.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

anitak,
Good for you! I hope you do some investigating to get back some of the minerals, vitamins and probiotic supplementsthat have been depleted.

I am glad you wrote about Mirilax --that it is not antifreeze or I would have--- antifreeze is a poison and is fatal if taken internally.

Mirilax is an osmotic type of laxative --meaning it promotes excreting water from the colon for a BM. It has been used for years in Go Lightly (gallon size) for cleaning out the colon for a Colon-- Exam.

The problem with an osmotic type laxative use over a long period is it depletes the body of electrolytes as well as other minerals and nutrients your body needs -- that could cause joint pain as well as other nutritional absorption problems.
Other osmotic laxatives are Milk of Magnesia, Citrate of Magnesia, Epson salts, sorbitol, and lactulose. They are all safe for occational use but if used longer-- dependency can and will result.

Simulating type laxatives irritate the intestinal wall --that stimulate peristalsis and can damage the intestineal bowels if used more than occationally. These include Ducolax, Senokot, cascara, castor oil and Peri-Colace.

I am a big believer in using a water soluble fiber therapy that bulks up your stool with fluid to help make you regular-- like psyllium, methycellulose, Benifiber and chickory root(Inulin) along with water and the insoluble fiber in all fruits, veggies, all grain husks(bran) and beans outer parts-- the inner parts are soluble fiber.

All meats, seafood and dairy products contain no fiber.

I wish you well---Harry

Old 05-26-2008, 03:58 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

anitak1982 HB User

Thank you---Harry.
I find that if I take magnesium I found in the vitamin isle, that I can go. I don't like milk of magnesia or citrate of magnesia.

Last edited by moderator4; 05-26-2008 at 08:58 PM.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:09 AM   #6
(female)

2000airedale HB User

Interesting thread. My 3.5 year old daughter was put on Miralax by a GI doctor because she has mild cerebral palsy and low muscle tone in her trunk. She gets impacted to the point where she has to be manually disimpacted, no matter what she eats, and her BMs are infrequent and enormous even with the Miralax. We were told that it was safe long term and that many children on CP were on it their entire lives. However, I am concerned, especially because the drug company that makes it says that it is not appropriate for young children or for long term use. I am not sure what is appropriate for a young child, and every time I try to wean her off it (we use far less than the prescribed dose), we have the same problem.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:10 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

anitak1982 HB User

I personally feel that Miralax used as directed from the website is not dangerous. I just feel that long term use might make one loose more minerals than they would otherwise. At least this was the situation with me.

Closed Thread