It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2008, 01:31 AM   #1
(female)

suzycat HB User
Exclamation Caution when using Fleets as colonoscopy prep! Causes kidney failure!

Hi, all-- I just wanted to share my colonoscopy story in hopes of sparing someone else. I went in for a routine colonoscopy approx 1 yr ago. I had my physical 1 month prior and my kidneys were spot-on perfect, I just needed meds for mild hypertension: I was placed on lisinopril, an ACE inhibitor. When I went for my colonoscopy, I was not informed that in rare cases, Fleets, when given to people on ACE inhibitors (including lisinopril) are at risk for developing acute kidney failure. Type in "FLeets-renal failure" on the internet and you'll be appalled at what pops up. There is both an FDA warning on this, and the drug company sent out a "Dear Dr" letter advising them to proceed with caution, but many gastroenterologists are still routinely using Fleets, as they consider the danger "extremely rare." It IS rare, but I'm Exhibit A that it does happen. ANyway, I went into acute renal failure, spent about 2 weeks in the hospital, and now have late stage 3 kidney disease (CKD)with ATN. (It's permanent). I'm on the renal diet (it sucks!), and, like a significant percentage of patients with CKD, I have a problem with low red blood cell count, because the damaged kidneys shut down production of epoitein, necessary for red blood cell production. I get injections of Aranesp (at nearly a thousand a pop) to stimulate red blood cell growth. I have to see my nephrologist frequently, get frequent blood tests, and am on multiple medications. I'm writing this so that if you know of anyone who is getting a colonoscopy, make sure that they are extremely cautious about taking Fleets for a prep if they are also on an ACE inhibitor. It's not that hard to prevent: either stop taking the lisinopril for few days, or take another prep besides Fleets-- take Go-lightly or Half-lightly. I just wanted to warn people about this so they do not end up with a serious chronic disease which was caused by the procedure! Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2008, 02:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Caution when using Fleets as colonoscopy prep! Causes kidney failure!

suzycat,
I am certainly sorry about your horror story problem. It brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing it.

This is such extremely good Information and I don't want it to get lost with all the other posted threads on this boards.

If you would so kind --- I would like you to leave it here for several weeks and then post it in the Information Archive thread at the top of this page --- It is a sticky thread that will stay there.

Please consider it----Harry

Last edited by Harry; 06-20-2008 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Typos

Closed Thread