It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2008, 01:11 AM   #1
(female)

angelwithwings HB User
My mama had a bowel resection..

Hi all,
I need a few words of reasurrance with regards to my mama having her bowel resection on Wednesday. I can only tell you what I know and I may not be able to give all the details.
My mum has already had a perforated duodenel ulcer which nearly killed her some years ago and now she's in hospital for Divirticulitis problems. She was in hospital for 2 weeks before her resection op due to an infection that had to be treated beforehand. My mum was in so much pain, screaming the ward down for days, it's so upsetting to watch..Anyway, she had her resection and now she has a poo bag and wee bag and was told she would need another major surgery to remove those at some point. She has an epidural which is not helping her pain and the aneasthatist has now given her a 'bowla'?? I've never heard of that before, but it's supposed to help with her pain? I just want to know whether the amount of pain she's been through is normal? The pain team have been to see her several times and she's still screaming in agony. The surgeons say that the op was 100% sucessful but as you all know, watching your loved one being in so much pain is awful and I feel so helpless.Please can any one advise me. Thank you.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:52 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User
Re: My mama had a bowel resection..

Angel.....

So sorry your Mom is having so much pain. I think you meant "bolus," which would be a larger dose of pain meds delivered IV. Is she on an infusion pump....able to push the button to deliver the meds as needed?

It is SO soon after surgery and, once her pain is controlled and she can get up and move around, she will notice a huge difference. Laying in a hospital bed in pain is the pits. As hard as it may be for her to get up and moving, it is crucial.

I sure hope they've found the right combination to give her some pain relief. No fun for sure.

Keep us posted and good luck to your Mom,
Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply