It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2008, 11:17 AM   #1
(male)

thisnamewilldo HB User
I feel constipated after pooping :(

Hi all, i'm a first time poster. I've always had this problem, but i've never had the balls to see my doctor about it because it wouldn't feel right.

After going to the toilet for a poop, i find that after i've wiped up, i feel like i have to go back and wipe again maybe 30 mins or a couple of hours later. It's as if there's always something there. It also makes me not go out much, because this problem combined with bowel sweat can unfortuntaely smell bad sometimes.

I may be wronmg, but i'd imagine most people wipe their backside once to three times then that's that. I have to use a fair bit of tissue, and i never feel emptied or comfortable really.

Thank you for any helpful advice or comments that might come my way, s i know people have enough on there plate in here.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: I feel constipated after pooping :(

Thisname will do,

Usually when you have the type of stool that makes it necessary for many wipings it is caused by the kind of food that you are eating--- too much insoluble fibre.

To have normal BMs a person needs to intake 25 to 35 grams of fibre daily and it needs to be a combination of both soluble fibre that bulks up the stool with fluids and insoluble fibre that causes intestinal muscle contractions to move digested food along and out.

Everyone is different and eats differently so it may take some time for you to determine the type fiber you need. But most people do not get enough of the water soluble fiber -- so they take a supplement-- and drink more water.

I take psyllium seed husk fibre twice daily and with my diet and 8 glasses of water daily--- it works for me.

Harry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2008, 01:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

When the bowels are slow to move things on down, it helps to take a stool softener and/or Miralax.

My doctor prescribed Miralax and after many, many years I was finally able to completely empty and not have the feeling I was not finished. No more pasty like stools that is hard to wipe off.

Miralax is now over the counter. Give it a try and see if it helps. Miralax works by drawing water into the stools making them softer and easy to travel.

Take note of your diet and get plenty of both soluible and insoluible fiber plus lots of water. Adding fiber to your diet and not drinking sufficient water can cause constipation.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:36 AM   #4
(male)

thisnamewilldo HB User

Thanks for the replies folks. I've tried going down the high fibre route before, it did improve my movements, but not to the point where everything is evacuated. I've also tried fibresure and milk of mangesia, still dosen't do the job 100%.

Misty you say that Miralax is over the counter, going by your name i take it is over the counter in America. I will try and see if it's over here.

Say for example i should take 35% fibre a day, how much should be soluble and insoluble ?

Thanks.

Last edited by thisnamewilldo; 07-11-2008 at 01:38 AM.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:50 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

I usually take a psyllium seed husk fibre ( a water soluble fibre) about 4 grams in the am and the same after my evening mean. A total of 8 grams daily.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:57 AM   #6
(male)

thisnamewilldo HB User

I think i will try that Harry. What does your diet consist of along with that supplement, and what have you given up ?

Old 07-14-2008, 07:31 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

thisname,

I eat a diet that is sorta bland.

Since we are all different, I think it is best to work out your own diet with the type of food you eat but include fruits, veggies and bran from grains that all contain insoluble fibre.

There is a thread, "Information Archive", at the top of this page with a post about Normal BMs -- Page 2 -Post #8. I think you should read. It is not complete but will give you some ideas.

Harry

Old 07-19-2008, 04:25 AM   #8
(male)

thisnamewilldo HB User

Ok thanks Harry.

Reply Reply