HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Bowel Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/bowel-disorders/)
-   -   Please Help (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/bowel-disorders/617282-please-help.html)

seeker100 07-13-2008 02:02 PM

Please Help

Ok i am a 22yr old male with no history of disease

I dont know how long this has been going on,but it has been quite a while at least.I have very soft stools,they are formed but have a consistency like toothpaste.I find that I am literally unable to get clean after a bm,there is always stool on the paper when I wipe.Recently I have tried increasing my fibre but this doesnt seem to have had an effect.

I have started to pass gas a lot,but this may be due to worrying about this.I go to toilet 4/5 times a week and have a fairly decent diet.Could anyone give me any advice on what could be causing this please as is starting to worry me.Thank you

k2626 07-13-2008 10:07 PM

Re: Please Help

4/5 times a wk or day?

seeker100 07-14-2008 06:06 AM

[QUOTE=k2626;3646142]4/5 times a wk or day?[/QUOTE]

A week.Like once every one or two days

Harry 07-14-2008 08:43 AM

seeker,

I think you need to keep intaking a water soluble fiber like psyllium. It will absorb fluids as it bulks and firms up your stool.

Most all natural fiber when you first start taking them will cause gas until your body get use to it--- because natural fiber is fermented during digestion. So, start off slowly.

seeker100 07-14-2008 10:48 AM

(Quote Removed)

Harry,

Thank you for the reply.
I used to eat around 4 fruit+veg a day,but have recently bumped it up to 5 and added bran flakes and wholemeal bread to the daily diet to help. Atm I feel like I have trapped wind,which I guess is from the added fibre.Should this start to have an effect? If it doesn't does that indicate a problem?

Harry 07-14-2008 11:25 PM

seeker,

All fruit as well as bran is insoluble fiber that is very different from fiber that absorbs water and bulks up your stool.

Some fruits have more sugar than others and do ferment with digestion -- causing gas and especially if you change the sugary type fruits daily -- your intestines just don't have a chance to adjust to the new fructose content and amount of fiber.

You need to intake more soluble fiber to bulk up your stool ---This also helps keep your colon clean.

And, worry certainly does not help!!

I wish you well ---Harry

seeker100 07-15-2008 03:02 AM

(QUOTE Removed)

Harry,

The last few days I have had very loose stools,but do not feel unwell.They have been associated with trapped wind and some cramping.Can this be caused by the fibre?Or is it more likely to be something else?

Could you recommend any soluble fibre products?Are bran flakes one,as I have a bowl everyday

Harry 07-15-2008 08:39 AM

seeker,

Bran that is in cereals is usually from the outside part of wheat and is an insoluble fiber.
All Fruits are insoluble FIBER.
So, eating alot of both will give you a Loose stool, gas and Intestinal Cramping.

I don't known what brand names there are in the UK. We have in the USA-- Metamucil and Equate brand from Wal Mart as well as many others.

The generic type of soluble fiber I like and use twice daily is Psyllium Seed Husk in the powered form mixed with water. I use the Orange favored sugar free type.

Harry