It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2008, 11:36 AM   #1
(male)

AZander HB User
Post Your Post-op Hemorrhoidectomy Story!

Hello everyone,

I am looking for people to share their stories on how they are doing after having a hemorrhoidectomy. I have been researching online now for two months trying to find stories on a long term scale how their recovery went. Meaning, if you have had a hemorrhoidectomy one year ago, 2 years ago, 5+ years ago... How are you today? Have you been living health since? Have you had more hemorrhoid problems since the surgery? My main goal is to get a discussion going here so that people who are looking into this surgery, can get an idea of how others are doing. If you have just had a hemorrhoidectomy, please also share your story here if you like. I really hope this thread is put to good use and maybe all of us can get more of an understanding of risks and complications and also how people benefit living a healthy life by what they eat, exercise, and other methods of prevention.

Things to add in your post so that others know exactly what you went through:

1. What kind of hemorrhoid was operated on? (internal, external, both?)

2. What kind of surgery was preformed? (traditional, harmonic, laser and so on..)

Like I said, I really hope people read this and take the time to share their story with others. I know it might be uncomfortable sitting at a computer desk, so please by all means take your time.

Thank you

Old 07-18-2008, 12:47 PM   #2
(female)

beachgal01 HB User
Re: Post Your Post-op Hemorrhoidectomy Story!

Hi! I had a traditional hemorrhoidectomy (external and internal) on December 3, 2007. I also had a couple of skin tags removed. I was back to work by the third week in December, and I am almost 100% normal now. (I say almost because if I fail to take my daily fiber pill - (psyllium), I have troubles!)

It was nowhere near as bad as many of the stories I had read, but I give the credit to a guy named TacomaGuy who wrote the best hemmorrhoidectomy recovery guide (look for that and print it! Study it! You'll be glad you did!). I also attribute my lack of constipation troubles to the narcotics warnings -- they are depressants, and they constipate! I used few of them - opting instead for over the counter pain killers, heating pad/hot water bottle and ice pack therapy.

My recovery was relatively pain managed, and took a good two weeks until I was able to leave home without sweating 'what if I have to poop without my squeezebottle of warm water???'

I have to be diligent about fiber, and have not had many problems.

Last edited by beachgal01; 07-18-2008 at 12:51 PM. Reason: added answers to questions

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2008, 02:28 PM   #3
(male)

AZander HB User

BG!!!

Too funny!! I have been reading up on these forums and a few other forums LIKE CRAZY for the last month! Right now I am reading "Hemorrhoidectomy recovery" which you had posted on and am actually on a post you wrote. Yes from what I have read so far you had a good recovery, but others had the more slower, normal recovery from what I gather. Glad to hear that after 7 months you are feeling so good! I just hope I feel 100% better like you after my surgery I am not sure if my case is worse than yours, but I will explain my story right now.

All of my life I have not been an active person. I have never been one to eat veggies, eat healthy, and I constantly sat in front of a computer or just plainly sat on my butt. I normally always weighed 220 pound as a male. Now keep in mind I was never a pig, but ate bad foods like fast food, manufactured and processed foods, pizza, you name it. Rarely did I ever eat a wholesome home cooked meal. I also only ate one meal a day. I never knew that my weight was due to my body fasting! Believe it or not I just recently learned that when a person eats one meal, two meals a day, his body is storing the fat and in fasting mode! Once I realized this from others, (after finding out I have hems) I started eating 3-4 small meals a day. I lost almost 10 pounds in two weeks. So overall being a little over weight, eating horrible foods, and sitting so much in my life (I am 29) is what I believe caused two, maybe even three external hemorrhoids to form.

On May 9th was the night I found 1 small bump near my anus. I remember taking a shower and washing back their and feeling a little bit of pain. Upon further investigation I found it to be a lump, pea sized. I thought to my self (ohh brother what now?) Well shortly after that hemorrhoid became thrombosed and swelled up like the size of my thumb (the nail including first joint.) This sucker got really huge. I was in a lot of pain for two whole weeks. During that time a second one formed. Before the two week mark I made an appointment with a family doctor. She indicated that yes it was a hemorrhoid and it was thrombosed. She then gave me a referral to see a doctor to get the blood clot removed. Well that night as I got home I did some research and realized that they only work on thrombosed hemorrhoids after they have formed up to three days ago! I had already had it for over a week so I knew I had to wait it out. Two days later the blood clot passed and I felt so much relief! Around the time the clot passed I also bought a product called Hem-Relief. I used that and my smaller hemorrhoid that was located on the opposite side of my anus disappeared. I was glad because that little monster really hurt too! I was under the impression that like any other part of the body, this would heal and I would be back to my normal self for the most part. I kept up on taking my Hem-Relief, but as time went by it never healed... As of now I am left with swelling on both sides of my anus when I squat down, or use the toilet. On the right side of my anus, any time I squat down or use the bathroom, it balloons out, like half the size of my thumb!! I am not kidding, it is huge! But when I stand up it retracts back in, but there is still a small bulge with no skin flap or anything. I remember my bottom went through so much trauma during thrombosis that my butt cheeks literally felt like they where swollen on the outside of my butt. Any time I sat down to put on my shoes it felt like I was sitting on swollen tissue. That ended up going away but the once thrombosed hemorrhoid is causing me problems. There is no bleeding, but if I walk for too long each day, it aggravates the hemorrhoid and I end up being in horrible pain for a few days. The only way I can get better is if I lay down and take it easy and refrain from walking. The pain of my hemorrhoid when aggrievated... is nothing like a hemorrhoidectomy, but it interferes with my every day life. I can no longer go for walks without it hurting and having it balloon on me like it does is such a horrible feeling! It doesn't hurt when I go to the bathroom, I keep my stools soft eating veggies and Metamucile along with lots of water, but it pushes up against my bowel movements and that can sometimes as well aggravate it if I somehow end up having a more hard type stool.

So here I am trying to figure out if I should do the surgery. I am afraid that there might be long term effects, like me not being 100% after a year or more. I read that the traditional hemorrhoidectomy hurts the most, but is the way to go as far as having any chance of hemorrhoid recurring. I just hope that when and if I have my surgery, I have people to talk to like you did BG. This surgery sounds like the worst surgery one can have with that area being sensitive in the first place, and then with all the nerves being down their and also that area being a more slow area as far as healing, if that makes seance.

Glad you posted your story BG. Like I said I have been reading up on these forums and have been cheering everyone on, including you in your recovery.

Hope all is well and hope you don't have to carry that squirt bottle anymore!! Hey, what is that used for anyways? lol.

Take care,

Alexander

Old 07-19-2008, 10:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Alexander,

I am probably the longest poster that regularly reads and posts on this board. The board Archive are full of hemorrhoid sharing stories. I have told my story many times.

My hemorrhoid surgery was done about 1970 or so and 2 1/2 feet of my colon was removed on 3/4/2002. The biggest thing I have learned before the internet was ever thought about is that the biggest cause of hemorroids is constipation as well as causing diverticular problems. But, once you have the problems -- they are irreversible.
Some form of surgery is necessary eventually.

To help me--- I started taking Metamucil in 1984 and I have been using psyllium seed husk daily ever since along with adequate amount of water. It is a water soluble fiber that bulks up your stool and makes you regular. I have tried all sorts of fiber but I like the powder form that is mixed with water best.

Most people these days don't eat enough soluble fiber type foods because the food is so processed and it does not contain much fiber-- soluble or insoluble and lots of people donot know the difference.

There is a thread-- "Information Archive" at the top of this page and a post about Normal BMs-- on page2 post#8 that is worth reading. It is not complete but it may give you some ideas about changing your eating habits to have normal BMs.

I wish you well---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 07-19-2008 at 10:12 PM.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:00 AM   #5
(male)

AZander HB User

Hello Harry,

Yes I have ran into some of your posts and realized you where probably the senior here on these boards when I went all the way back to the first post created on this board and it was you who wrote it lol.

As for constipation being a cause for hemorrhoids.. I personally have not ever had much constipation in my life. I have always had 1 bowel movement a day, and would push, but not strain to get it out. I would though have 5-10 minute sessions sitting on the pot, but am not sure if that is looked at as being constipated. Like I said above, I have always ate poorly and never been one to take in fiber, and always sat sat sat! I have been thinking the two main causes of my hem's where from sitting too long and because of my poor diet. I am now thinking along with that, poor toilet acts of sitting for 10 minutes is also the cause.

So soluble and insoluble fiber. I never knew about the two to be honest. I am glad you brought that up because now I know to eat toast, oatmeal, bran, along with green veggies every day. I need to look into that and try to figure out how much of each types of foods each has when it comes to fiber and start upping my fiber to about 30-35 grams a day for the rest of my life.

I have a question for you.

You said you had a hemorrhoidectomy roughly 36 years ago. Did you experience more hemorrhoids later on in life, or have you been hemorrhoid free since?

Sorry to hear about your colon surgery in 2002. How have you been doing since then?

Alexander

Old 07-21-2008, 07:49 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Alexander,

It does not matter about the time since I had hemorrhoid surgery but what does matter is --- have I done the proper things not to have it more than once. And, Yes -- you can get them many times.

Hemorrhoids are very much like varicose veins -- swollen veins that have lost their elasticity and result in saclike proturtions in the rectal area.

They are Caused as well as Aggrevated by prolong sitting, standing, constipation, heavy lifting, coughing, straining when having a BM as well as diarrhea episodes and can occur during pregnancy.

Sitting as much as you say you do can aggravate them as well as sitting on a toilet for longer periods than is necessary.

Other contributing factors that can cause and contribute to forming hemorrhoids are lack of fiber intake, lack of exercise, being overweight, some food allergies and rearer things like a damaged liver.

About 50% of people have hemorrhoids and as I said-- you can have them more than once. So, half of the people are doing something right.

But, once you have experienced the pain of hemorrhoid surgery -- you will usually take the steps to do the things necessary so you don't have that Operation again-- like not sitting or standing for prolong periods, train your bowels, intake adequate water and fiber so you go regular w/o straining. Lift heavy things properly. Lose weight.

And, I am doing OK after having 2 1/2 feet of my colon removed but BMs are not the same.

I wish you well---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 07-21-2008 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Typos

Old 07-21-2008, 01:25 PM   #7
(female)

beachgal01 HB User

Hello, Alexander! You're lucky, dude! You've chatted with Harry - the 'grand poobah' of all that is bowel health. Learn from his wisdom! You'll never regret it!

I am no longer needing the squirt bottle (after a hemorrhoidectomy, you very quickly learn to go to great lengths to avoid wiping before you are fully healed. While recovering from surgery, I had a short little shower head type thing hooked up to my sink right next to the toilet, so I was able to hose off my butt after using the bathroom. My squirt bottle became the next best thing when I went back to work!).

From the sounds of your hemorrhoid experience, I would recommend that you make an appointment with my surgeon! I wish I could give out that info, but I think the Healthboards folks frown upon that.

I will say that I have NO REGRETS. I am so delighted to be hemorrhoid free for the first time in my adult life! When I first consulted my surgeon, he told me that although hemorrhoidectomy is considered minor surgery, it is the most painful of all recoveries. I had read through all of the stories I could find on this website, and was convinced to have the surgery after reading a story by Big Budha (Hemorrhoid surgery - YIKES). Like Big Budha, I had wasted many years dealing with my hemorrhoids, and was finally ready. I am so glad I did it ... and the pain was well worth it. I know what you mean about having problems taking walks because the hem is irritated in short order. Imagine how nice it will be when you get it removed! I found a whole new life for myself without hems ... and I hope you do, too!

Old 07-21-2008, 04:09 PM   #8
(male)

AZander HB User

Hey Beachgal,

Yea Harry seems to definetly know his stuff doesnt he? I am in the works of reading his previous posts and trying to learn all I can about this condition and things I can do to prevent it and so fourth.

Yea I kinda figured the squirt bottle was for that cause. I will have to get one and play around with that for a bit.

Glad to hear you have no regrets about the surgery! I myself am a little worried about my condition. I will try to explain as clean as possible what my experience is. On the right side of my anus I had a thrombosed hemorrhoid that became really huge. On the opposite side I had one, maybe two other hemorrhoids form. Well it seems like the swelling has gone around my anus like a horse shoe. I am worried if this will be more of a horrible experience for me than others. I am also concerned that it might be a possibility that the surgeon won't be able to get it all in one go. I guess I will have to wait and see.

Glad to hear things are going well for ya though. I am off to nap a bit, been a long day lol. TTYL

Old 07-22-2008, 10:56 AM   #9
(female)

beachgal01 HB User

From the sounds of your hem's, you may get some relief from using the squirt bottle when cleaning after a movement. I had hem's for many years, and went from absolute misery when they were acting up, to just being annoyed and ashamed of them even when they were not acting up. I hated them - they hurt much of the time, and even when they didn't, they inhibited me in every intimate situation. I hated them ... until I finally gave myself the gift of getting them removed. Talk about freedom! I LOVE my hem-free butt!

I understand that you have quite an extensive issue ... but I really don't think it's that much worse than mine was! I suspect if you find yourself a good surgeon, one visit to him will tell the tale. I hope you give yourself the option of surgery. I bet you will be so very glad you did!

Old 07-22-2008, 11:43 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi,
I appreciate your kind words but I just have been around longer and have experienced more and I think it's important to share what I have learned as well as personal experiences. Thanks!!

beachgal -- I agree with you -- a person can study an ailment too long. When it really hurts alot, interfears with your life style or you think it can progress to something alot worse, then it time to take action. Painful hemorrhoids just don't get better.

It is good to be free of something that you have control over because you can never tell when something can happen and your health get worse to the point that surgery is not possible.
Can it happen to young people -- you bet. I have read about it and know of such situations.

God Bless---Harry

Old 07-22-2008, 07:41 PM   #11
(male)

AZander HB User

Beachgal,

I gotta admit, it feels pretty good to hear that me and you share similarities when it comes to what we have, or what you had. When I get back to Washington I am going to try that squirt bottle out lol.

Harry,

Glad to see you are here to help others out in their time of need. I myself am going to do my best to help others out with this condition for now on since I have learned so much from it. I agree this can happen to young people. I too have read how young people are sometimes when getting hems or other problems and, well I am only 29 so I kinda fit into the catagory as well lol. I have learned so much from this board, and from you and others. It just makes me feel really happy that I have this board to gain knowledge from and that others look at it the same and can benefit from others experiences. Thanks to the both of you, and others for all your help!!

Old 07-23-2008, 01:20 PM   #12
(female)

beachgal01 HB User

Y'know, finding this board was one of the best things that ever happened to me. I had finally been to a colorectal surgeon, who informed me that my hems were extensive enough that I needed surgery. He told me that it was the most difficult of all recoveries, and some people regretted having the surgery. He told me to go back to work and google hemorrhoidectomy. And he told me to let him know what I decided.

So I went back to work and I googled it. I was ashamed, I was in pain, I was scared, and I needed information. Not advertisements, not descriptions of the surgery, but REAL information from REAL PEOPLE.

I couldn't believe it when I happened upon this site!! I will admit that I spent many, many hours reading the different threads ... when I really should've been working! (Can you imagine how much work we would all get done if not for the internet?!)

I found answers to all of my questions. I was able to read awful accounts of surgery/recovery gone bad. I was able to read fantastic accounts of easy recoveries. As I mentioned, one of the positive stories (Big Budha) was the decider for me to get the surgery!

I have NO regrets. Not one. Well, one. I regret not having the surgery many years earlier.

You're 29? You deserve to give the surgery serious thought. I suggest that you talk to your general doctor and ask for a good colorectal surgeon. Take that first big step, AZander, and make an appointment. Get an examination and talk to him. That way, you will have an expert opinion and you can decide if you want to take step 2.

I'm going to keep checking on you. I wish you the best. Getting rid of that damned thing is the best.

Closed Thread