It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2008, 08:58 PM   #1
(female)

Suzanne4 HB User
I Survived Sphincteroplasty Part 9

Hope you find this new thread to continue our supportive discussions for those considering or recuperating from sphincteroplasty.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2008, 09:01 PM   #2
(female)

Suzanne4 HB User
Re: I Survived Sphincteroplasty Part 9

Here's a quick update on my progress:

I'm 8 weeks post-op and doing much better. My wound is closing - the doctor thinks it will be closed in a couple of weeks! Still not noticing much change in control, but I haven't been diligent about my exercises, either. I'm also much more comfortable sitting. In general, everything's looking up!

Since July 4th, I've been bad about eating too much meat and not enough raw fruits and vegetables. I've been somewhat constipated, so the last couple of days, I've eaten a lot of raw vegetables with some oatmeal and whole grain pasta thrown in there for good measure. It's made a significant difference. I'd much prefer to manage this with a healthy diet than take any supplements. Raw veges seem to be the answer for me.

Hope you all are doing well.
Suzanne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2008, 07:37 AM   #3
(female)

sbremom HB User

Hey Suzanne
Glad to hear you are doing better...I am sure things will be better once that wound closes up. One less thing to worry about! SOrry to hear that you haven't noticed much change in control, but from the sounds of the other ladies it takes a little while. You are only 8 weeks post-op so stay positive with that. Question for you: prior to surgery when you had that "urge to go" did you have to race to the bathroom or could you wait?

I am getting more and more nervous as aug approaches but I know I have to stay calm and hopeful. Stay well.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:29 PM   #4
(female)

gwriter75 HB User

Hi Ladies,

How is everyone doing?

I'm due to see my surgeon on Mon (As I said before), so am gathering my questions. I haven't been told to do any exercises or anything regarding my diet.... so they will be among them. I'm happy to ask him any questions you might have as well if you like?

Generally I'm doing great. Very, very tired (My son is working me hard and climbing everything in sight!) and am in mild pain. Still having some of the old problems, which I trying to tell myself is normal and that things will improve. Thanks for sharing your progress Suzanne - fingers crossed we'll all notice a big difference soon.

As you've all said we need to stay positive and strong to give our bodies the best chance of healing. So here goes!!

Have a great weekend,
Gxxx

PS. Sbremom - I had to run to the bathroom before op (was given about a minute notice at the most). Think it's getting better now, but still have to go quite quickly.

Last edited by gwriter75; 07-18-2008 at 12:36 PM.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:56 PM   #5
(female)

elley HB User

Suzanne, thanks for starting a new thread. How do you do that??? I kept looking and looking but couldn't figure it out.

Gwriter, I'm glad you are feeling better, but don't try to do too much, I know its so easy to do. What is the surgical tone you mentioned that helped you?

Thanks,
Elley

Last edited by elley; 07-18-2008 at 02:00 PM.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:08 PM   #6
(female)

spring08 HB User

Hi everyone,

Well, I had my appointment at the urogyn today, which wasn't as uncomfortable as I thought it would be (thankfully). He didn't find anything doing an exam, so I have to have two tests next week. Lindsay, if you're out there, did you have a cystoscopy? Was it painful??? Hopefully after the tests I'll have more information.

Suzanne, I'm so glad your wound is closing up! 8 weeks was a turning point for me; by week 11 the wound was closed, so you're probably almost there!!

Sbremom, I know it is hard waiting for the surgery, especially since you have an idea of what is to come. I had no clue what to expect--which was good and bad--so I was actually more anxious about the prep than anything else! You will do great. You're really prepared, and you have a lot of information.

Gwriter, I'm glad you're doing better! You should definitely bring your list of questions to the dr so that he can answer any concerns that you have. Don't let him rush you out the door!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Old 07-18-2008, 08:36 PM   #7
(female)

Suzanne4 HB User

sbremom - before surgery, I didn't have to race to the bathroom for a normal bowel movement. With diarrhea, I had no warning. Within one second of feeling the urge, I'd have an accident.

Today I went into a client's office and had audible gas twice in front of people. It was very discouraging (and embarrassing). However, it just reminds me I must do my exercises every day to improve my control.

gwriter - good luck with the doctor. Let us know what he says.

elley - to start a new thread, click site map. From there, select bowel disorders. You'll see a "new thread" button near the top of the screen.

spring - hang in there! Let us know how your tests go.

Hope you all have a great weekend!

suzanne

Old 07-19-2008, 07:11 PM   #8
(female)

sbremom HB User

Thanks for the info suzanne. You mentioned in an earlier post that you had occassional gas problems after the birth of your first. Again from the sounds of it you are still in the healing process so I am sure once you start the exercises that may improve too. I know what its like though with not being able to control the gas....

As for everyone else....keep your heads up. I am going to call the doc this week to get some more questions answered. Many of you mentioned that you talk to the doctor's nurse and they are just as helpful, so maybe I will do that instead. I am sure they are somewhat less busy. Thanks again!

Old 07-19-2008, 07:36 PM   #9
(male)

AZander HB User

Hello everyone,

I found this board... maybe a month ago. Been reading up on all of my problems but have also been reading up on other people's problems as well. Glad to hear you guys are recovering well. I know it can be hard, and discouraging at times while going through the healing process but know that you have people out here in this world that dont know you, but care about you. Like I said, I have been reading up on this board and cheering people on left and right lol. Hope all is well and keep positive!!

Old 07-20-2008, 05:39 PM   #10
(female)

sbremom HB User

AZander--thanks for the encouraging words. It is nice to know that we are sticking together through this process and cheering each other on. Thats what we need in times like this.

QUick question....many of you mentioned that after surgery for a while you had some "leeking" after bm. Can you elaborate as to what that means....like does it drip out or what? I don't think I have this now, so just wondering if I can expect this for a while after surgery.

Hope you all had a nice weekend.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:34 PM   #11
(female)

elley HB User
Smile Re: I Survived Sphincteroplasty Part 9

Hi Everyone,

2 more days and I have my surgery so I'm trying to make sure that I have everything, I need. On the 2x2 gauze, about how many do you go through a day? I wasn't sure how much to buy.

I have my sitz bath, which I have used when my bottom gets so sore)
and my memory pillow.

I've bought a couple good fiber cereals, and my fiber drink, but wasn't sure about which laxative to have on hand. My doc recomended senokot tablets, but I have never used them. Any suggestions??

AZander, thanks for the encouragement!

Elley

Last edited by elley; 07-20-2008 at 06:39 PM.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:20 PM   #12
(female)

spring08 HB User

Hi ladies!

Elly: I used 4x4 gauze (but 2x2 is probably fine, too) to stick between my cheeks to catch the drainage from the wound. I still use them now to catch leakage after my BMs. I went through TONS of gauze, but it is mainly because I pee a lot, so every time I went to the bathroom the gauze would fall out and I'd have to replace it. That said, the nurse told me every 3-4 hours is a good timeframe for changing the dressings. The docs will tell you to drink a lot of water, so depending on how often you urinate, you may need a lot of gauze, too. As for the laxative, each dr. is different. My dr. had me on a generic stool softener 2x/day as well as 1 tsp of mineral oil 2x/day. It really helped keep things moving smoothly after the surgery. You should definitely start taking something as soon as you start eating again because you don't want to become constipated. 'Hope this helps!! I will be thinking about you this week and praying that all goes well for you.

Sbremom: the leakage after BMs is basically just residual stool leaking out of the rectum after you go. I always put gauze between my cheeks after a BM, so I can't tell you if it's "dripping" or what. My leakage was a lot in the beginning right after the surgery, and it is VERY slowly decreasing. I'm almost 4 months post-op and I still have it, but not everyone does. Just don't be too alarmed if it does occur because it seems very common. It's really frustrating, but I am hopeful that it will disappear with time.

AZander: thanks for your post and for the cheering on!

Take care everyone!

Old 07-21-2008, 01:24 PM   #13
(female)

gwriter75 HB User

Hi Ladies,

Have just come back from the surgeons - thanks for all your good wishes!

He says that it all seems to be going according to plan and that around the 6-8 weeks (post op) mark I should notice some more improvements. I asked him about the exercises and he said that he doesn't believe that it makes much of a difference (I should mention that he is at the top hospital in the country that deals with our kind of problems). I asked him about diet and he didn't really indicate that it would make a difference either, so will be very interested to hear your opinions as well.

I am due to go back there in 2 months and hopefully I will really notice the benefits of surgery by then. In addition to that I am hoping he will tell me I will have healed enough to try for baby number 2.

He is still a man of few words and makes me feel a bit stupid sometimes. I was telling him that I've had a little improvement - still have to rush to the loo, but can wait a little longer than before. And still having issues with leaking after a BM. He told me to take Imodium and see how I get on with it. I then said I'm generally only going to the loo about every two days and he said well that's a huge difference between before the surgery. I was going up to 4 times a day, but I still go up to 4 times a day - it's just every other day. What I don't understand is what this has to do with my surgery as the surgery was to correct the leaking and running to the loo, controlling wind etc. Hope I'm making sense. Anyway he's now told me not to take the Imodium as it could make me constipated. Also am healing well - it's still a bit inflamed, but it's going to plan.

Anyway speaking of wind - I know exactly how you feel Suzanne as I had the same situation this week. It was with a friend from my baby group who I don't know that well - wanted the ground to swallow me up.....

Elley,

Best of luck with your op - I'll be thinking of you. The Surgical Tone is a homeopathic remedy that has a mixture of remedies to help healing after surgery. One of the remedies is Arnica which was recommended to me after childbirth by a midwife.

Also I have used Senakot in the past which really helped. After surgery I was put on Lactolose, but that was only 2 days after surgery. I suffered with really bad constipation due to the anesthesia and morphine. I then had to have suppositries and Movical. So please make sure they give it to you straight after surgery.

AZandar - thanks for your encouragement.

Well sorry for going on for so long ladies. Waffling seems to be my forte!

Take care and thinking of all of you,
Gxxx

Last edited by moderator2; 07-21-2008 at 02:32 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Old 07-21-2008, 02:37 PM   #14
(female)

elley HB User

Spring thanks so much, that helps me a lot. I want to make sure I have every thing on hand. I am a little nervous, I keep thinking today is my last day to get up and go do what I want to do and be pain free or today is my last meal...lol. Thanks for your prayers I will take as many as I can get.

Elley

Old 07-21-2008, 02:59 PM   #15
(female)

sbremom HB User

Spring--I dont want to be graphic but I also want to know what I may expect. Is it like liquid form and is it a lot? Did you have this before the surgery? Can you feel when it is coming out? I wonder why that happens---not getting it all out when you do go to the bathroom maybe?

You know what I was thinking.....won't most women who had a third or fourth degree epis. at some point deal with this issue when they get older? I mean if they cut the muscle and repair it with an end-to-end repair, and the muscle gets weak as we age, this problem should happen to more women. Can't they figure out a better way to deliver a baby??

Gwriter--is that the same type of leaking you experience? I am suprised your doctor said not to do the exercises...it seems like most of our doctors are all about the kegels, as are most articles on the internet. I think the purpose of them is to make the muscle stronger. Did your doctor give you long term prognosis of the surgery??

Last edited by sbremom; 07-21-2008 at 06:31 PM.

Closed Thread