It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2008, 07:12 PM   #1
(female)

desertdove HB User
After hemorrhoid surgery, still looks like I have external hemorrhoids, help!

I just had surgery for internal (banding), and external (4, stitches) hemorrhoids ten days ago. Everything is going pretty well, except for I still have tissue popping out of my anus that looks and feels like external hemorrhoids. The first two or three days after surgery these "things" were not present. Is this just swelling that will go away? Or are these new hemorrhoids? Did anyone else have this happen to them? Is it normal to look like you still have external hemorrhoids after hemorrhoid surgery? I'm scared that I'll have to go through the operation again and I'm "freaking out", to say the least. Any comments from anyone who had a similar experience would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!

Old 07-20-2008, 08:01 PM   #2
(male)

AZander HB User
Re: After hemorrhoid surgery, still looks like I have external hemorrhoids, help!

It is completely normal, please don't freak out.

Now I have not had my hemorrhoidectomy yet for my two, maybe three hemorrhoids, but have been reading up on this board like there is NO TOMORROW!! Many, MANY people have had the same thing happen. It mainly has to do with swelling, and also has to do with the stitches.

If you have swelling, take some advil to help reduce the swelling. There are also some great threads to read on this board. Look for a thread called "Hemorrhoidectomy Hope" It is on page 26 of the forum and was started by Roadrunner0213. The thread right under that is the continuation of that discussion started by Michelle13 and that one is called "Hemorrhoidectomy recovery." Theeennn the continuation of that thread, and the last one, is on page 23 and I believe it was started by Michelle13 again and is titled "Hemorrhoidectomy recovery" again. There is some really good material to read and learn about. When reading those threads, look for a guy called "TacomaGuy." Click on his name and look up his posts. He put together a guide on what things you need before surgery, and I believe he might have also put together a guide on what to do after surgery. Very good stuff, but a lot of reading.

Also if you are having problems with your stools being too soft, or too hard, there is material in those posts that explains the things you can do to get yourself regular as well.

Lol I have been reading these boards for over a month now. I should be blind right now but suppose I have super human eyes or something.

But yea, everythig I have read indicates that you should wait till your 6 week mark to determin what the end results are. A few people are left with a skin tag or two. That can be handled by your doctor in a easy visit and is nothing like a hemorrhoidectomy as far as pain is concerned. Overall people have what you are experiencing and have been worried silly, but then after a month, realize it was just all part of the healing proccess.

Hope you are doing well and keep yourself regular!! Eat good amounts of food each day and don't eat less because of those painful bowel movements or you could get.. whats it called, ok spelling is going to be off here, but sterosis? Basically your anus could tighten up and then the doctor or yourself have to dialate it and if that doesnt work, you have to go back in for surgery... You want to avoid that, so make sure you are eating plenty of healthy foods daily and make sure you got atleast 25 grams of soluble and insoluble fiber in you! That means a good amount of green veggies, fruits and even breads!! Bran is also a good thing too.

I am telling you, it is a lot of reading, but you will fine some AWESOME ADVICE that is held in the highest of regards here.

Let us know how you are doing will ya? If you need support or someone to talk to, I will be here.

Take care,

Alexander

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2008, 08:12 PM   #3
(male)

AZander HB User
Re: After hemorrhoid surgery, still looks like I have external hemorrhoids, help!

It just occured to me that you might not have a laptop. I would not reccomend sitting on a chair to read all that material. If you have a printer, you could print out the discussions and read them in bed. If you do not have a printer, I would be glad to help guide you to those vital posts of interest.

Sorry about my spelling, am on my laptop and it is kinda hard to type on it. I am so use to typing on a regular keyboard!!

Also.. If you have any pain, or still battling those spasms, get one of those rubber hot water bottles. Those apparently help the spasms. If you dont have one, a girl named Beachgal gave a great idea where you can take a ziplock bag, then take a small wash cloth, wet down the washcloth and stick it in the bag, then microwave it for a short time, maybe 30 seconds I am guessing. Then you can place it on the lower part of your back and she said it worked well for her.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:19 PM   #4
(female)

desertdove HB User

Thanks Alexander for getting back to me so quickly! Whew, glad to hear things are normal down there! Bless you for doing your homework! I do have a laptop, so I have the luxury of surfing the web from a prone position in bed I'll read through the post you suggested, it's so much of a comfort to know that I'm not alone dealing with issues revolving from this type of surgery. My doctor put me on a low dose of methadone every 12 hours for the "main" pain, with oxycod for "breakthrough pain". So far the meth has kept the pain under control and I have not experienced anything "unbearable", and I don't feel over medicated. I do eat lots of fruit and veggies, and I've drank enough water in the last 10 days to fill a swimming pool! I did not have great pain with first bowel movement, however, it did take five days and two does of Milk of Magnesia to help things along. My internal hems were fairly large, so, even with the swelling, "movements" have been easier without them present. I have no regrets about having surgery. Good luck with your operation! I suppose maybe you will feel better hearing from someone like me who has not experienced anything too terrible. Take Care, Dove

Old 07-20-2008, 09:40 PM   #5
(male)

AZander HB User

HEy dove,

not a problem,

wow i had quite a freakout tonight. I went to the bathroom and after wipeing with tucks pads, realized I had a lot of swelling down there. I too am trying to take as much fiber as possible and even am on some vein strengthening pills called Hem-relief and also drink cyanne pepper to minimize blood pressure. Well I had a bad thrombossed hemorrhoid two months ago, the thing got really big, probably the size of my thumb down the the first joint.. well I also had maybe one or two others on the opposite side. Well today as I was wipeing it was really swelled up. It feels and looks like the swelling is horse shoe shaped around my anus. I am pretty worried how bad my condition is at this point. I do not have a surgery set up yet because of the fact that I am moving back to Washington state here on Wednesday so I am wondering how bad all of this is going to be for me.

I need to cheer up a bit and raise my spirits. Right now I am watching that movie called "baby momma" and so far it is pretty funny.

WEll hope you have a good night. Don't read too much or you might go blind!

The following user gives a hug of support to AZander:
Amomma (01-16-2012)
Old 07-20-2008, 10:17 PM   #6
(female)

desertdove HB User

Gosh Alexander!

Sounds like you're a good candidate to under go the knife as to say! I've had the thromboses hems in the past, and I was ready to operate on them myself I was in sooo much pain.

If you have blood pressure issues, you may want to check out the new post about fleets phosph-soda, ACE inhibitors and kidney failure. I take lisinopril for high blood pressure and I was told to use fleets before surgery, I'm just thankful I didn't have any issues.

Good luck with your trip back to beautiful Washington, better take time out to put your feet up as much as possible.

Keep your spirits up, don't watch anything too funny...might laugh your *** off!

Have a good evening! Dove

Old 07-21-2008, 06:59 AM   #7
(male)

AZander HB User

Well the swelling went down for me so that is good.

How are you doing on day 11? Hope you are feeling well!!

I have go out with my girl and get my desktop mailed out and then I am spending the day with her to have dinner at her place. Should be a lot of fun!

Well have a good day and hope you have found some information to help you on your recovery!

Ohh as for the blood pressure thing, I have always been told that I have near perfect blood pressure, but I take the cyanne pepper because it is suppost to help the hemorrhoid from sticking out so much. I would not reccomend it for when you are recovering though as for it could thin your blood and cause more bleeding.

Have a good day!

Old 07-21-2008, 10:56 AM   #8
(female)

desertdove HB User

Hi!

Glad to hear your swelling went down. I'm doing very well. Some swelling, some discomfort, but nothing that I can't handle. I'm feeling some itching and burning so I guess I'll try a little A&D ointment, I assume this is a sign that things are healing.

Today I'm going to attempt to go to work for 2 hours, I'll just be doing desk work...so it shouldn't be too bad. This will be my first time out of the house since surgery.

You have a great day with your girl! My fellow is in England till the end of August

Thanks again for your support! Dove

Old 07-21-2008, 04:02 PM   #9
(male)

AZander HB User

Hey Dove!

Hope all went well at work today! Things went well for me today. I got out of the house and did some errands and then went back to my girlfriends house and watched some tv and ate some hamburger soup which was pretty darn good. It got pretty hot out today so it was a simple and easy dish for the occasion. I am not looking forward to this flight on Wednesday. I fly from Scranton PA to Philly, then hang their for an hour and a half, then have a 6 hour flight back to Washington State. It will be great to see my family though. Has been over a year now so that will be awesome.

You are on day 12 right? From what I have read, those stitches are dizzolveable, and from what I remember, people have started loosing their stitches around day 10 or 15 I believe. The signs where itching and maybe a little soreness. You could very well be loosing your stitches or getting ready too.

Well I just got back and need to lay down a bit. Let me know how you are doing!

Old 07-21-2008, 06:11 PM   #10
(female)

desertdove HB User

Hi Alexander,

Today is day 11, work went okay, but more swelling, even my legs hurt, so now I'm going to lay down and vegetate for awhile. I do think my stitches are coming out. I will be so glad to get some more days behind me! It's hard to be on the fringe of pain for days and be inactive if you're use to getting out everyday and running around all the time...

I lived in NW PA for 10 years or so about 5 years ago. I also have lots of relatives in WA, near Spokane. I hope you have a good flight, sometime flying can cause swelling, especially on a long flight. I went to Africa last year...man what a long flight! But I would do it again in a heartbeat...what a great time I had! Sounds like you will have a wonderful time visiting family, especially after not seeing them for a year!

Take care of yourself and have a great evening! Dove

Old 07-21-2008, 07:31 PM   #11
(male)

AZander HB User

Hey dove,

Well be proud of yourself that you went back to work on day 11. Some people still can't manage it and are off of work for a longer period of time. Have you been taking Advil for the swelling? I read that it helps. Not sure if you have thought of this, or done this, but if you are at work sitting, go out and buy a pillow, like a couch cushion and use that to sit on. It should help comfort you more. Also when sitting for long periods of time, every now and then lift your rump off the chair, or sort of lean to the side. Also try to stand up as much as you can, even if it is for 30 seconds. Try doing all of that because from what I read it prevents constriction on the veins and allows the blood the flow. I also read that taking vein strengtheners, the stuff you can use for vericose veins, helps strengthen your veins and can be use as a prevention from this ever happening again. Not sure if I told you that already but I thought I would throw it out their.

Wow so you lived in NW Penn and also have family in Spokane!! That is a quinky dink! As of right now I am in NE Penn and my family all lives in Olympia, so that is where I am headed back.

Well I got home today, tried to sleep but could'nt so I ended up doing a little more packing and throwing out some stuff I don't really need. I pretty much have my place all cleaned out so it should make tomorrow easy for me so I can rest and prepare myself for the flight. Wow yea a flight to Africa would be torment rofl! I would take the flight to WA anyday over that, well untill I get better that is =)

Have a good night, I am going to watch a movie and relax.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:45 AM   #12
(female)

desertdove HB User

Hi Alexander,

Thanks for all the advise, I haven't tried advil for swelling, but I will. I'm pretty sore after sitting for two hours, didn't use a cushion, but definitely will in the future as I feel like I got whacked in the tail bone with a baseball bat! I'm also going to check in to vein strengthening remedies, as I really don't want to deal with hemorrhoid problems ever again.

How ironic the PA/WA similarity, I was in the Franklin/Oil City area and my daughter has a house in Lacey.

I'm going to try and get some sleep...one more day under my belt.

Take care,
Dove

Old 07-22-2008, 08:36 AM   #13
(female)

shoshik HB User

If you're still experiencing troubles with hemorrhoids I suggest you try Rue Care Oil - it's all natural, it shrinks the hemorrhoids, strengthens the veins. Otherwise, try to apply just Vitamin E oil on your hemorrhoid. Good luck.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:02 AM   #14
(female)

desertdove HB User

Thank you, all advise is welcome as all this is all new to me. It's really depressing to look at the "area" and still see all this external swollen flesh that looks like hemorrhoids, in addition, it's painful.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:38 AM   #15
(male)

AZander HB User

I read that it might not be a good idea to put ointments on your wounds while they are in the healing proccess. Apparently many ointments slow down the healing and can even cause the skin in that area to thin. I would only do ointments if your doctor says it is ok. And if your doctor says it is ok, use only when you really need it.

Yea I know it must be pretty upsetting to see that, but like I said, you are on, what, day 12 now, and from everything I have read you should only determine what the end results will be after roughly 6 weeks, maybe a little more if you are a slow healer.

MAke sure to keep the wounds dry. Apparently that will help with the healing, but ofcourse do your baths when needed. I read that some people after taking a bath use a hair dryer on "cool" to gently dry the area. I am not sure I would use the "hot" setting, but you could maybe do that if you are far away enough from the dryer.

I have been on hold with Verison for 45 minutes now lol!! I am in the proccess of getting my phone and DSL shut off. I will say this, they have great DSL and it is fast!

Closed Thread