It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2008, 12:23 AM   #1
(male)

VeryBadAtThis HB User
Constipated for about 3 weeks now PLEASE HELP!!!

So I've been constipated for about 3 weeks now, more or less, and I wanted to post to make sure nothing was wrong. I've been constipated in the past (as has everyone else), but never longer than a week that I can recall.

I've actually been able to move my bowels a couple times every day, but usually only in short bursts. Sometimes I'll be able to go just fine without barely any struggle, but this is usually only at certain times, like after I haven't went for awhile. There hasn't really been any stomach pain, either by the way. Really, it hasn't even been that much of an inconvenience, but nonetheless, 3 weeks is a long time and I wanted to make sure nothing was wrong.

It seemed to all start one day when I held my bladder in for a little while. It didn't seem too long. I was reading at the time and I sort of lost track of time, but still, it couldn't have been any more than 30 minutes or so. In any case, I tried going to the bathroom and wasn't able to move my bowels, and from there, it's pretty much been like this.

Last edited by VeryBadAtThis; 07-31-2008 at 02:48 PM.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:13 AM   #2
(male)

VeryBadAtThis HB User
Re: Constipated for about 3 weeks now

Sorry to bump, but I just want to make sure nothing's wrong. Is this a long time to be constipated? Should I just wait it out?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2008, 12:56 PM   #3
(male)

VeryBadAtThis HB User

Anyone? I heard your intestines could burst because of this sort of thing.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:10 PM   #4
(male)

VeryBadAtThis HB User

I hate to keep bumping this, but I'd really like some help. There's a really paranoid part of me that's worrying this might turn into something really bad. Like I mentioned, I remember reading that people have died from being constipated over a long amount of time.

To elaborate, my bowel movements have generally been in small broken up pieces, and while for the most part, they've been a bit of a struggle, they haven't been painful. I have been able to move my bowels every day, and occasionally, I'd be able to have a slightly larger bowel movement, but for the most part, it's been small broken up pieces. There also hasn't been any pain, which seems weird considering the time I've been constipated.

I took 2 exlax yesterday and I had really bad stomach pains. At first it was like a weird sensation that didn't really hurt at all, but later when I tried to move my bowels, it felt almost unbearable. My bowel movements were mostly liquified at this point, but not entirely. I must have sat in the bathroom for atleast 30 minutres last night. The first bowel movement was solid, then entirely liquid, and I believe the rest was liquified or almost entirely liquified. I felt really bad stomach pains before each bowel movement. Now the day after, the stomach pains haven't returned and my bowel movements are once again solid, and they're also now in small broken off pieces.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:44 PM   #5
(male)

VeryBadAtThis HB User
Exclamation Constipated for about 3 weeks now PLEASE HELP!!!

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I'm really starting to worry I might die or have something seriously wrong with me.

I almost don't wanna use the exlax again because of how severe the stomach pains were, and also I don't know how much good it would do.

Last edited by VeryBadAtThis; 07-31-2008 at 02:47 PM.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:54 PM   #6
(female)

flame381 HB User

one thing I learned when I was having extreme problems with constipation is that is I take 2-3 teaspoons of raw honey daily I have no problems..

I use raw honey but don't know why regular honey wouldn't work..

in the meantime you might need to consult your doctor.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:27 PM   #7
(male)

VeryBadAtThis HB User

It seems I've developed a hemorrhoid. I noticed it yesterday, and today I haven't been experiencing any pain. I tried taking a hot bath and I'm hoping that helps some, and I've also been wetting toilet paper before using it. I'm not 100% sure it's a hemorrhoid, as I don't know nearly enough about them, but I'd wager that's probably what it is. It's basically like this external pocket of skin pertruding from my anus. It seems there's two of them, one smaller than the other. They seemed to have reduced in size since yesterday.

I haven't had a bowel movement today, which worries me. I've also been having trouble telling if I have to go. I mean, I don't feel a strong urge to go, but I do feel something, and it's difficult to tell if it's because of the hemmorrhoid or because of gas or because I have to go.

Yesterday, I used 2 exlax and my bowels were liquified, and I experienced some stomach pains, but not as severe as before. I went to the bathroom twice and got a good amount out of my system. But yeah, today I haven't went once (except maybe once early in the morning, but it was one small stools). I was told not to take any more exlax today.

Do you guys think this hemorrhoid will be gone soon? From what I've read, they sometimes disappear in a couple days, and other times they can be a serious problem. What do you guys think?

Also, I've tried honey. I drank some tea with honey yesterday. I also tried eating some cantalope, which I've also heard is good for constipation. I've also been drinking lots of water. Today I've had a glass of tea (no honey this time), lots of water, but no cantalope. I did order in today, so I'm a little worried my bowels might be hard, but like I said, I drank a lot of water and had some tea, and I'll try taking a couple teaspoons of honey, or maybe making some more tea with honey.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:32 PM   #8
(female)

flame381 HB User

if you can afford it..buy raw honey online..three tsps a day, before or after meals..

and keep doing it daily..it will eventually help..you may be getting hemorrhoids because of the straining you no doubt do..those will get better if you can get a handle on the constipation.

By the way, I don't know if your diet has a lot of dairy but stay away from cheese. I found that helps me a lot also..watch that diet. It goes a long way towards helping with constipation.

Old 08-03-2008, 03:19 AM   #9
(female)

shoshik HB User
Re: Constipated for about 3 weeks now PLEASE HELP!!!

There are a number of things that are helping with constipation:
- eat daily 2 tbs of flax seed oil with yogurt - the best in the morning.
- eat a raw apple half about and hour after the meal. Apples are stimulating bowel movements. Prune juice, pineapple juice, pears, guava are also good.
- eat ripe yellow bananas between meals - not with meals.
- honey has laxative properties and can be added to food or drinks to relieve constipation.
- drink pure water in the morning and between meals at least 8 - 10 glasses daily.
- avoid sugar, refined white flour, coffee, soda (all), alcohol, black tea.
In general acid forming foods are causing constipation, while alkaline forming foods are alleviating it.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:45 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

lavender01 HB User

I have used Miralax - it's helped me alot! It has no taste - just mix the right amount with anything! I use sprite. It is a very very mild laxative and stool softener - will not "gripe" your stomach - try this - it may help - it's not that expensive either - you can usually print a $2.00 off coupon from the internet. I keep this on hand all the time! It works for me! Hope this helps!

Last edited by lavender01; 08-05-2008 at 08:50 AM.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:01 AM   #11
(male)

VeryBadAtThis HB User

Thanks for the advice guys.

My hemorrhoid has been healing quite a bit, but it's still not entirely gone. There's no pain whatsoever, though. I still feel as if there's something obstructing my bowels too, which is presumably the hemorrhoid, as it's almost entirely internal now.

So far, I've had one normal bowel movement a day for the past two days where the stools are their normal size, but it seems after that, I have a lot of really small stools, which require some effort to get out. By the way, that brings up another question, do I force them out, or wait a little bit? Because from what I understand, that's generally what causes hemorrhoids, is it not?

I've been drinking several glasses of water every day. I've also been taking several teaspoons of honey. I've generally avoided soda, although I've had one glass today and yesterday. I've also tried eating bananas, but we're out now. I also have some prunes, which I can't stand, but I could try to force myself to eat some more of them. I've also been taking hot baths, but I didn't take one today, because the pain has gone away and it seems to be healing pretty well (do you think I should still be taking them?)

OK, so I guess I can be a bit of a hypochondriac at times, so I'm hoping to get a little reassurance here. Nothing appears to be seriously wrong here, right? Just from stuff I've read, I've gotten a little scared. Like how people have died from constipation, that sort of thing.

Last edited by VeryBadAtThis; 08-06-2008 at 05:02 AM.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:17 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Stop using laxatives ! Change your diet to high fiber content and lots of water up to 8 8 oz glasses a day. Try starting yourself on a bowel retraining program . I'm using the natural way using kegel exercises,massaging your abdomen contracting the abdominal muscles while bearing down as the BM comes out. Do this the same time everyday and allowing up to 20-40minutes on the toilet. Read,relax,deep breathe,beat down gently when you feel the bm starting to come out and lean forward some.You can use digital stimulation

Closed Thread