It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2008, 09:45 PM   #1
(female)

Lizardwoman85 HB User
Lateral Sphincterotomy: Part 1

hello everyone,

I am now successfully recovering from lateral sphincterotomy (done on 7-30-08) and decided to share my experiences for everyone else who may be needing this procedure.

Day 1:
After fasting for eight hours I was ready to go in for surgery. Check-in went smoothly and I headed back to get setup. They hooked me up to and IV for fluids and antibiotics and prepared me for surgery. I was anesthetized and next thing I knew the surgery was over. I woke up feeling a bit nauseous, but the pain wasn't actually bad at all (my doctor had numbed the area along with the anesthesia for the surgery). I recovered quickly (in about an hour) and was eating soon after. I did have some bleeding that required a pad in my underpants. I didn't really start to feel any pain until another half hour later....which at that point was horrid.

They got me in a wheelchair to send me home and by the time I got to the car I was crying in pain (and I rarely cry from pain at all). My mother stopped to get me some food to take my pain meds, but unfortunately I vomited several times and was unable to keep any medicine down at all.

About an hour later I was finally able to keep down enough water to take my pain medicine and some anxiety medicine the doctor prescribed to help me sleep and I slept the rest of the day.

Day 2:

Still fighting the nausea. Not as bad as the day of surgery, but enough for me to not want to eat. I've been eating crackers and chicken noodle soup for me to take my meds. I've also been taking stool softeners to help me have smooth bowel movements. The pain was a lot less, but still very uncomfortable, the pain killers help a lot and so does the anxiety medication.

Barely any bowel movements today at all, still a little bleeding from the incision. Doctor said a little is normal.

Day 3:

Cut down the pain meds in half for fear I'm becoming constipated. Pain of course increased and spent most of the day in bed with pillows under my knees. I soaked in the tub full of warm water to sooth some of the swelling and discomfort. I was able to eat more today, but still very few stools which were followed with a little more blood. Does seem to be healing though, just very slowly and still very painful.

Will Continue as the days go on. Feel free to ask any questions you would like about my experience I may not have mentioned.

-Liz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread