It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2008, 08:12 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Accutane2X HB User
Bowel Problems after C-Section

I had an emergency c-section 4 months ago. Upon returning home from the hospital I had a "normal" BM. Since then, I have had diarrhea. 9 out of 10 times, I have diarrhea. It usually strikes me once a day, after lunch. It's quite embarrassing because the restroom at work in near the lunchroom and it can be quite loud sometimes. I really don't know what to do. I have tried eating different things for lunch, and it doesn't help. I am a fan of soda, and I have not been able to avoid it. That is next on my list. Do you think there could be something wrong from the surgery? This has affected me taking my baby out in public because I am afraid that with the baby in tow, I would not make it to a restroom in time when the pain hits. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2008, 08:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User
Re: Bowel Problems after C-Section

It sounds like you have a digestion problem now.
You didn't mention why you had to have an emergency C-section.
I'm assuming you had a baby?
Maybe your hormones are all causing this now if you had a baby.
It could be multiple things.
If I were you, I'd mention it to your doctor and then get a referral to see a gastroenterologist.

I think our bowel routines change at certain stages in our lives. rather than going in the morning for you, you now go after your lunch?

something called "dumping" is caused by a problem in digestion when the food one eats isn't being digested and exits the body quickly, say after eating a meal.

My abdominal surgery that I had years ago has caused havoc to my digestive system. I had a routine tubal ligation that turned into a night mare.
they performed the surgery, told me I'd be staying over night just in case, and thank GOD they did that, becasue all of a sudden I started to feel horrible.
the pain that was shooting to my shoulders and the pain medicine I was on wasnt' even working. I was on morphine. not till the next day in the evening shift when the next shift of nurses come on did one very competent nurse check me extremely thoroughly and found out something was very wrong indeed.
they called the gyno back in and they had to do an emergency surgery to open me back up and found out I was filled up to my chest with blood.
I lost alot of my blood. which was in turn shutting down all my organs. I was going into shock.
they said in the report that blood was oozing from multiple sights in the upper part of the abdomen. far from where they did the surgery.
they coudln't find the source. there was no perforation found. they put me in ICU dept. and eventually got me stabilized once the bleeding slowed down. they had to put a clear tube inside my body that was attached to a clear bulb like thing that dangled on the outside so they could see if bleeding was going on inside.
before they sewed me back up, they had to lift up my intestines to see where the bleeding was coming from.
well, from that day on, I could not for the life of me even swallow my own saliva from going into fit of pain. I would grip the side of my bed, curl my toes and cringe as the air I swallowed went down. I could not even EAT any kind of food. I lost so much weight and was the talk of the hospital staff.
I almost died from such a routine surgery.
I think from the moving my intestines which was in place from the day I was developed in my mothers womb has caused the intestinals problems I have to this day.
I can eat now, but now I suffer from chronic constipation, I"ve also had a blockage and wound up back in the hospital after I had a total hysterectomy a week post op.
so my answer to you about the possiblity of having bowel problems after having abdominal surgery is "YES".
It can be different in every case though and I really do suggest you speak to your doctor so they can find out what's going on inside.

I wish you the best outcome.

Lintek

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2008, 09:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Accutane2X HB User

Thanks for the reply.

I did not know that people had c-sections for other reasons than to deliver a baby. So, yes, I did have a baby.

I did not mention this to my dr at my checkup because I attributed it to the stress of having a newborn and being a first time mom.

Now that I realize it is not getting any better, I feel the need to contact my dr. Thanks for the advice. Hopefully I won't have to go through anything like what you had to. I feel for you. Thanks again.

Hoping to hear from someone else who has had a c-section.

Ally

Old 11-18-2009, 05:54 PM   #4
(female)

depkat HB User

yes, my boy is just over 5 months old and the chronic diarrhea has been heck! Docs have no clue what is going on. I'm surprised none have suggested it's a complication of a c-section. I am trying a new product i found while surfing the net about this problem because I'm at whits end! I lost all my weight before the baby, and them some but I DO NOT RECOMMEND THE DIET!! If the product I bought works, i will post the name of it because right now, i cannot remember the name (not at home.) I think its serovera or something like that. If it don't well...i will keep trying! good luck to all w/the poopy problem!

Closed Thread