It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bowel Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2008, 12:52 PM   #1
(female)

chiquilla88 HB User
Unhappy loose stools and diarrhea for the past three months!?!

I started to notice a change in... "consistency" of my stools at the beggining of the summer.
I didn't think much of it, they were still pretty solid, but I guess just looser than normal. Then a couple of weeks later sometimes they would just smell, well, rancid and were all sorts of colors (yellowy orange to dark green). And about a month ago it evolved into full fledged diarrhea and is starting to become a problem. Now sometimes it wakes me up in the morning and I have to go to the bathroom, but then I'll have to go again ten minutes later to "finish the job." Some mornings I only have to go once, but some I may go 4 or 5 times. But if there are repeats, there is practically very little stool in the toilet bowl, in fact, it's mostly gas.
Then I'm set for most of the day (until later at night when that more or less happens all over again) but sometimes I get a really strong urge to go in the middle of the day, and boy I have to book it to the bathroom. It's just gotten to be very frusturating. Especially one time when I thought I just had to pass gass but some feces came out anyway. Talk about an univited guest! Anyway, I've got to schedule myself another trip to the doc, because last time I went they threw me on some Traveler's Diarrhea meds which didn't really help the situation.
I'm only 18, so this is starting to freak me out (I mean, what if I can't find a bathroom?).
I don't do much for exercise, but I eat right, and I'm sure I get plenty of fiber because I usually have leafy vegetables at least once a day on top of other fruit and vegetables.
Anyway, what can I do to help with this problem?
Besides the awkwardness (that I can deal with), it's just gotten to be very inconvenient and I'm worried that it will only get worse...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2008, 01:06 PM   #2
(female)

chiquilla88 HB User
Re: loose stools and diarrhea for the past three months!?!

also I think there might be some blood... so I don't think it's IBS

Old 03-12-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
(male)

puckerfactor HB User

Did you get your diagnosis since August? I have the same problem. Had all the tests, Dr says IBS. Having big issues in the morning on work days. Dr says its caused by anxiety, no kidding, I'm afraid I'll crap myself while at work or driving if I cant find a bathroom fast enough. He wants me to start Lexipro to battle the anxiety. Well guess what? If I didnt have the diarrhea I wouldnt have the anxiety! Anybody else?

Old 03-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Accutane2X HB User

I just posted another thread. But I feel the same as you. Although I have not had any tests done. Haven't really wanted to discuss it with anyone face to face. But I'm taking acidophilus (just started today) because I read about it on here. I'm glad I'm not the only one trying to memorize where I might be able to quickly stop at a bathroom on my way to work. It's quite embarrassing. I wouldn't have the anxiety if I didn't have the diarrhea either. So glad I'm not alone.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:29 PM   #5
(male)

puckerfactor HB User

I copied and pasted this from a 2004 closed post and when I read it for the first time I knew this forum was for me...

Hello All,

New to this board. I've had IBS-D for a few years now. I'm 24 and finding it very hard to cope with the day to day stuff. I feel confined to places where there is a washroom close. In the morning, I get worried to go to work in case I have to go to the bathroom on the way. I've been in a couple bad situations where I almost didn't make it. So, when that feeling comes on, I almost have a mini panic attack. Do any of you experience this too?? I feel that if the worry and anxiety wasn't there, I may not have a problem. Stress definitely makes it worse for me too. I am not taking anything right now...have tried Metamucil, but didn't help much. I haven't really considered meds, but maybe I should! I would prefer a natural therapy to act as a relaxant. I'm interested to hear what works for some of you....

Thanks

Last edited by puckerfactor; 03-12-2009 at 10:30 PM. Reason: adjust

Old 03-13-2009, 06:42 AM   #6
(female)

fibro-worn HB Userfibro-worn HB User

I have this problem too. When eating out it is especially bad. And I have had numerous close calls where I was afraid that I wouldn't make it to the bathroom in time. Always looking to know where the bathrooms are. I just had colonoscopy and endoscopy done and had couple polps removed but gastro dr. said just ibs was causing my problems of Diarrhea and gas and cramping. He gave me a probiotic supplement to take called Align and I started it before my tests and have continued after the tests and it has been helping. Suppose to keep your digestive system in balance. Hope this helps. Because always checking for a bathroom can cause you to be very stressful. So it is a bad cycle stress and anxiety can cause diarrhea, and diarrhea can cause stress and panic.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:52 AM   #7
(male)

puckerfactor HB User

Thats what I'm having trouble with. Is the diarrhea giving me anxiety/panic because I'm afraid of having an accident while out OR, is it anxiety/panic thats giving me diarrhea?
What came first, the chicken or the egg?

My problem started when I was diagnosed with high chloresterol. Dr. put me on a Statin (Vytorin). I began having bowel issues immediatly following (Vytorin blocks fat absorption). Would have loose stool imediatly after eating and 1st thing in the morning, that was worse! Have to go 3 or 4 times before leaving the house. I never put the two together, I just blamed it on my wifes cooking. LOL. Finally after a year of changing my diet (lost 35 lbs down to 160lbs, I look sick) because I would eat only nuts, chicken etc or just wouldnt eat because I was afraid of getting diarrhea while at work, I finally told my doctor. He said after a few tests (blood, Ciliac, blood/stool) that I had IBS probably caused by Anxiety about going to work (most of my issues were on work day mornings). I told him I have no Anxiety with my job. I have Anxiety about going to work and having diarrhea either getting there or while there. Thats whats stressing me out, not the work itself.
Sooo, what came first? The chicken or the egg?

Needless to say, I stopped taking the Vytorin. The evening diarrhea stopped but the morning is still going strong especialy on work days.
The brain is so powerful, think after having diarrhea for a year straight every morning my brain is now trained to have Anxiety/diarrhea? Learned behavior?

Needless to say he wants to put me on Lexipro (SSRI) for Anxiety. I'm not totally on-board with the idea. Of course one of the biggest side affects of Lexipro is you guessed it, DIARRHEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yahoooooo, bring it on!!!!! I'm an old pro at that one.....

Last edited by puckerfactor; 03-13-2009 at 08:51 AM. Reason: added

Old 03-13-2009, 11:04 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Accutane2X HB User

Maybe coincidence, but I have not had diarrhea for 2 days now. I'm taking Acidophilus. I bought it from the pharmacy right off the shelf. Or it could be my mind.........you know, placebo effect, making myself believe that it is working. But whatever the case, I am not having diarrhea. I really don't care why. So I'm going to continue to take the Acidophilus Capsule each day. I also do not have work stress. Only the stress of having to "go" at work. maybe the prescription that the dr gave to the other poster is a higher dose of what is available over the counter. I read that taking medications and antibiotics can get rid of the good bacteria in your body and that's not a good thing. Acidophilus is supposed to put it back. Since I have taken 3 antibiotics in the last 5 months, I probably need them. It's worth a try.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:52 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Accutane2X HB User

Just an update. I'm still taking the acidophilus. Over the weekend I did not go to the bathroom at all. So I just knew that it would happen at work today. Well, it did, but it was not diarrhea. I was so relieved. I don't mind going at work if it's not a blow-out. I'm going to see how this acidophilus does until the bottle is gone and hopefully I can go off it for a while. At least until I take an antibiotic again. Good luck guys.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:03 AM   #10
(male)

puckerfactor HB User

Thats great news! Please let us know after your first week if it was successful. I know for me it tends to creep back.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:21 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Accutane2X HB User

Pucker,
have you already tried the acidophilus?

Old 03-16-2009, 01:33 PM   #12
(male)

puckerfactor HB User

No I havent tried it yet. I just started Lexipro to curb the anxiety hopefully the rea will fall into place. Thats what the Dr. thinks. Been on it 4 days now, no rea but I'm off from work until next Wed and thats when the IBS kicks in on work mornings.....

Old 03-19-2009, 04:43 PM   #13
(female)

chiquilla88 HB User

so I've still got my uninvited visitor I guess. It kind of cycles through from vaguely resembling normal stool consistency (which I get pretty excited about) and going 2-3 times a day to very watery diarrhea 5+ times a day. I've gotten pretty good at dealing with it, but there are some mornings where I wake up and have to go to the bathroom 3 times in an hour sheesh. Have been to the doctor a couple of times, apparently no parasites or hormone issues. Going tomorrow to hopefully get screened for Celiacs (but I don't think that's it). I actually started taking Acidopholus a couple of days ago, but haven't noticed any change. bummer.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:51 PM   #14
(male)

puckerfactor HB User

I had to go 7 times one morning before leaving for work. Boy was I mad! I was late for work and had to pick up a co-worker during a snow storm. I was ****** off mad at myself, I couldnt believe this was happening of all mornings! So, I believe it was stress related. Thats why Dr. recommended Lexipro. Had the Celiacs test it was neg.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:40 PM   #15
(female)

siamchick HB User

I've had bad pain in my stomache, nausea, passing stools with fresh blood and mucus also diarhea for 3 weeks now, after i eat i get the pain, the doctor had send me to a spialist which does colonoscopy and endoscopy which is when you swallow a camera and putting a camera into your anal to see if there is anythinh wrong. i'll be getting that done on 2nd of april. will keep you all up to date, still dont know what i have at this stage, what should i be taking in the mean time?

Closed Thread